Release My Soul

Release My Soul

A Story by Fallen
"

My first short (extremely so) story. Kind of practicing with descriptions.

"

Release My Soul: Take a Look in the Mirror... You Look So Sad.

He stretched his body like a cat, toes curling into the mattress, arms reaching over his head. The light from the morning sun settled over his body like a second blanket, cushioning him in ephemeral warmth. His blanket was plush, built to retain body heat.

Nonetheless, his body was chilled and pale as he extricated himself from his bed, flannel pants hanging loosely from thin hips. His bare torso trembled in chills as he wrapped a plush robe around his body.

His socked feet didn't make a sound as he shuffled over the hardwood floor towards the bathroom. After relieving himself and washing his hands, he caught a glance of himself in the mirror. His eyes were dull, his hair askew, his shoulders drooped.

It was pathetic.

His reflection frowned.

It wasn't even really that he hated the way he looked. He liked the way he looked. Hell, he even feigned perfect narcissism to his peers, talking about how they should all act and look like him, because he was him.

It was just... this heaviness. It settled over him like a lead blanket, forcing him to struggle to keep his shoulders square, and his head held high. It caused his knees to tremble, his ankles to wobble, the soles of his feet to ache. His back was bowing under the pressure.

His heart was straining. Sometimes it felt like it was going to burst �" like he was going to burst. One day he was just going to explode.

With a deep sigh, he closed his eyes.

It took more effort than it usually did, but when he opened his eyes, he was staring back at a different person.

Bright eyes, frazzled hair, pale skin. Thin but strong shoulders, supported by a similarly thin but strong torso. There was a hint of a smirk gracing his lips.

As he spun and walked out of his bathroom, he had to blink back a tear.
Everything looked so much better...

but it still hurt...

God did it hurt.


© 2014 Fallen


Author's Note

Fallen
Let me know how I did with description. I know it's very short, but it just kind of... happened.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on January 16, 2014
Last Updated on January 16, 2014
Tags: emotion, pain, masks, short