The Polluted

The Polluted

A Story by Henry Pellinger
"

Stella's dolls are hiding from something.

"

                   There was a little girl named Stella who would spend her days playing with her dolls. These were no ordinary dolls mind you, but of the finest quality. Standing at 7 inches, they were made with glass, had Swiss laced designed dresses and brown mohair. But where did the dolls live? Of course, Stella would furnish them with the most luxurious abodes. These doll houses were Victorian era style, they would litter the room, on the shelves, tables, everywhere the eye could see. Bay windows, hand crafted carpet and wallpaper, all able to be opened and explored.

                                    Today was Stella’s birthday. She was most excited for her friends to come and celebrate. There was one thing on Stella’s mind, and that was the new doll house set, given to her by grandma every year. After she opened all her presents, there stood grandma’s gift, saved the best for the last. She dived in ripping the paper with glee and excitement. Opening the box and looking inside….. this, is not what she expected. Everything, everything was horrifying! Cheap plastic, fake hair and atrocious clothing. “What is this?!” Stella exclaimed. Stella’s mother came to her side and said, “Dear, grandma has not had enough money this month and said that she is sorry. Besides these dolls are not that bad, they are not like your other ones but beauty is in the eye. Learn to love them. Be grateful.”  All her friends agreed and started playing with her new toys. Stella sighed, accepting her fate with this new Fisher Price toy set was gut wrenching.

                           Everyone left the party and Stella headed for her room upstairs, pouting all the way. She tossed her new doll set in the closet. “Stupid,” Stella said angrily. Falling into her bed, she fell asleep.

                            Stella awoke to a small chiming sound but could not make out where it was coming from. She hopped out of bed and started her morning ritual. Opening up the doll house, she hoped to hear the latest gossip from Georgina, who spent too much time eavesdropping on other dolls conversations. But Georgina was not there! Stella thought that she had left her upstairs in her bedroom. The strangest thing is, however, that none of her dolls were there. Stella looked around the house and thought,” Well they couldn’t be hiding.” Stella curiously opened the closet door. In shock, she found 2 of her dolls stuffed inside as if they were hiding. She pulled them out and looked for the rest, no luck, they were gone! Day by day more and more of her dolls disappeared. Some were found in the basement, others in the attic. Sometimes their front doors were jammed.

                 After a few days, all of her dolls had disappeared, all of them!! She ran frantically doll house to doll house, looking for them. She plopped on the floor and started to cry. Her lovely ladies had all gone. Stella’s mother came in, “Dear don’t you remember, your friend Betsy is having a play date with you today.” “But I have no dolls to bring with me, they are all gone,” Stella said as she sobbed. “What do you mean gone? Are they not in their houses? Stella, there are so many toys around here that could have gotten lost. We will find them later, take your new dolls with you, come on we must hurry, and I have an appointment with the doctor.” Stella rummaged through her closet grabbing her new toys.

                Stella arrived at her friend’s house. Betsy was always a spoiled brat, for she had as many or more doll sets as Stella did. However, both the girls’ dolls had a difference in quality. They walked up to Betsy’s room and got out a few of her dolls. “Don’t tell, but my mom never lets me use her perfume on their hair,” Stella swore to never tell. An hour had passed and Betsy’s mother called up and announced that tea and cookies were ready. Betsy grabbed two of her dolls and ran down stairs, Stella followed. They ran into the kitchen and sat at the table. “Uh, Stella don’t you have a glass upstairs already? Please go fetch it, I don’t want to have to wash two dishes.” Betsy’s mother said. Stella ran upstairs and entered the room. Her feet stopped suddenly at the door. The room grew narrow and her heart stopped. All of Betsy’s dolls houses had been ransacked, they just like Stella’s dolls were gone! The windows had been broken into, doors fell off their tiny hinges. She looked over at her only doll set with shock to find it opened. She walked over to it and looked inside the basement. Inside she found all her dolls stripped of their clothing, piled up and their faces removed. Looking side to side, of the dark space, there were dark little figures with orange eyes looking up at Stella. They were in the process of working on Betsy’s dolls. Stella screamed at the top of her lungs, jumping back, she spilled the perfume onto the doll house. She rushed to the corner and grabbed the hair curler that had been left on.Throwing it at the monsters, she burned up all of Betsy’s toys and the actual house. All 3 ran out of the house, waiting outside was the fire trucks rushing in to put out the fire. 

                 Stella went home empty handed, no dolls and a lost playmate. She looked about her room, in hopes of finding some lost survivors, but to no avail. She heard a chiming noise and looked around for it. Getting close to the vent in her room, she looked inside and found 2 of her dolls sitting against the dirty shaft wall. All scuffed up and their hair in tangles, but they were all right. Her dolls never moved again.

 

 

 

© 2017 Henry Pellinger


Author's Note

Henry Pellinger
My goal with this story is to show how quality is very important in our arts and entertainment. Hope you all enjoy my second story. Took awhile but was definitely worth it. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on July 20, 2017
Last Updated on July 20, 2017
Tags: children, toy, suspense, Thriller, Moral

Author

Henry Pellinger
Henry Pellinger

Columbus , AL



About
The only thing that you need to know, is that if my work has not changed your life forever, then I have failed as a writer. more..

Writing