Chapter 4~

Chapter 4~

A Chapter by HermitsUnited
"

Blah. Edited and stuff.

"

 By now, the sun was down and we had not found anything close to saying what might kill a Kelpie. The computer clock read that it was nine-fifteen. Did libraries usually stay open passed nine? We were waiting for the librarian to kick us out. “Why do I have to try everything to kill her while you sit there and read over my shoulder? It’s your computer,” Nick said, grumpily, scrolling down a webpage that basically explained that nothing has ever been recorded (to their knowledge) about how to kill a kelpie.

  I sighed. “Because you’re computer is probably filled with every inappropriate image that you could find with the worst being as your desktop. Imagine the librarian’s face when she comes around the corner and finds that using her wifi.” I pointed to my computer as though it was his computer.

  Nick threw his arms in the air and looked at me, as he said, “The thing about wifi is that it allows an internet page to work. Nothing suspicious and she would never see it…even if I did have any inappropriate pictures anywhere on my computer,” he added, looking back to the screen.

  “I don’t trust you by yourself,” I countered.

  “Sage!” He looked at me angrily. “Go get a book! I’ll stay here. I think her spell is wearing off anyhow. I’ll be fine.”

  I started to get out of my seat when I looked at him suspiciously and said, “I’ve read them all.”

  “Maybe you missed one,” he said, scrolling again.

 I had missed one, I discovered. It was three isles from where we had previously stopped looking. It was brown, leather bound, about two inches thick, and about a foot in height. I opened it up. The writing was actual handwriting. This book had to be over a hundred years old. There was a table of content.

Content

Page 1.......................................................................................Introduction

Page 10.................................................................................Tame Creatures

Page 155......................................................................Dangerous Creatures

Page 362.....................................................How to Kill or Delay Creatures

 

 I didn’t look any farther. I flipped through the heavy book to page 362. The pages that I saw were filled with terrifying creatures that I had seen before, some that I had killed, and a lot that I did not even know existed. I hadn’t realized how little I knew. I was surprised.

 I flipped through the section very slowly so that I would not miss anything about a Kelpie. There was a very small description when I finally found it.

 To kill a Kelpie is nearly impossible. There are only two options known. One is to kill the Kelpie by waiting. Old age will come, but by then, the person wishing to kill the Kelpie will have died, and that person’s next three generations may have died as well.

  The second option takes place more immediately, but it is more problematic. To kill a Kelpie this way, the Kelpie must be stabbed clean through the heart with a hot iron rod. This may only work if the Kelpie is first lured into the water of its birth. Only then, will a Kelpie truly remain dead.

   If the Kelpie is not in the water, it will only be dead as long as the iron rod remains white hot and in the Kelpie’s heart.

  I excitedly took a picture of the page with my phone and ran back to the table. I began reading it aloud before I was even around the corner to the table. “I hope she was born in Lake Michigan,“ I said as I looked up. Nick was gone and so were the Opel’s keys. I ran to my laptop. I read the page that he had left open, hoping he was going to kill the Kelpie on his own to prove he was over her, or maybe I was dreading that he found how to kill the Kelpie and he was going to do it alone. There was a notepad open. I clicked on it and read.

I’m sorry, Sage. You’re right. I wasn’t over her.

I am going to the beach to talk to her.

Don’t follow.

-Nick

 “Nick,” I moaned, grabbing my computer and juggling its cords into my backpack. I walked outside and I saw no Opel. I sighed and began running toward the beach. Running took me about ten minutes with a bag crashing on my back and the thought of how much I hated running crashing in my head with each step. Luckily, the street was completely deserted by this time except for the occasional car.

  I finally made it to the beach, out of breathe and hating running even more than before. I saw a fire across the beach. I dropped my bag and quietly walked to it. As I neared it, I began to hear a woman’s voice, full of seduction. It could only be the kelpie. “It’s time, Nick. If you just go into the water, we can be together forever!” Nick got up in a daze and began walking towards the water with the Kelpie following him.

 I smiled. All I needed was hot iron. When I saw one of those iron pokers for fireplaces by the fire, I about fell over. That does not just happen. People do not bring iron pokers to the beach. I hoped that my theory was true. I shoved the poker deep into the fire and set the handle on a rock. I looked passed the flame to see the kelpie smiling at me. “Hello,” she said.

  I stood up. “Hi.”

 “Come to save him? Well it will not work. I like the taken ones too much.” She turned back to Nick took three steps into the water before her words registered in my mind.

 “So you choose Nick?” I asked, incredulously.

 She turned back and smiled, “Yes.” She started walking after Nick again.

 “Nick’s not taken by anyone! Ever!”

 She stopped again and turned to me. She was about up to her knees now. Nick slowly turned back to her and began soundlessly walking towards her. “Not by you?”

 “No! He’s my brother!” I grabbed for the poker, which was now red hot, and yelled, “Now!” I began running towards the water as Nick grabbed the kelpie’s arm and dragged her backwards into the water, eventually tripping and taking her down with him. I splashed through the water and shoved the pointed end into the water and into the body, hoping that it was the heart of the Kelpie and not Nick’s. I heard an un-godly screech and shook my head, covering up one ear with a hand. I refused to let go of the poker as the Kelpie writhed and flailed. A scaly tail came above the surface of the water, and then a foot. Her scaly arm reached out one last time and flopped back into the water. The screeching stopped and now the only sound was the sizzling of the poker, our exhausted breathing and Nick’s teeth chattering from the cold as he stood up. I blinked and slowly took my hands off the poker.

 “Can I go to the restroom yet?” Nick asked, looking from the body to me.

 “After we bury her.” I smiled at him.

 A few minutes later, we had the kelpie’s large scaly serpent-like body in the back seat of the Opel and we were driving through town and into a deserted area where we could bury her. At last, we found a spot that was miles away from any town or house except for a farm about a mile up the road. Weird things always ended up on farms though. If her body ever appeared, she would just be accepted. We dug up a whole that was nine feet deep and dropped her in. Where her dragon-like body landed, made so that there would be about six feet of dirt on top of her.

 Back at the hotel, we had just finished telling Leslie about our adventure with the kelpie. As it turns out, Nick was over her when he went looking for her. He had found one website that mentioned a way to kill a kelpie and hoped that I would figure it out when I got there. He broke into somebody’s house and stole his or her poker, set up a fire at the beach and waited. When she got there, he told her a story that makes all the girls fall in love him. His plan had worked. I knew he wouldn’t have told me where he was going if he didn’t want me to find him. That was just common sense. Nor would he take our car. I could track that too easily and I had done it before. After we said good night to Leslie and hung up the phone, I put my Converse on and walked towards the door.

 “Where are you going?” Nick asked, standing up to follow me if he needed to.

 “I’m getting something to drink from the Subway around the corner. Don’t worry.”

 “It’s dark.” I looked at him. He knew I could take care of myself, especially in the dark. He had been away for quite a while and had forgotten that his little sister could take care of herself. I had for the past seven years. “Okay. Get me an energy drink or something. I’m doing some more research tonight. I’m ready for another case already.” I gave him a questioning look and then nodded. I walked through the spoiled hallway, took the stairs down, and went outside through the parking garage under the hotel. Seven years without Watching and Nick was wearing me out. I had just gone to his school two weeks ago to get him back and we had already Watched more cases than I had the whole month before. It was a little chilly out tonight, but I didn’t want to walk back up to get my jacket. I quickly walked up the block to the Subway I had spotted on the way in.

 I started to shiver by the time I got to the Subway doors. They were closing in three minutes. I quickly whipped the door open, making the little bell at the top of the door tinkle. I went over to their small freezer and picked up a two liter of Mountain Dew. They had no energy drinks, so Nick would have to deal with that. The boy at the counter looked to be about my age. I smiled at him. “Hey there!”

 “Hi! Can I help you with anything else? Like, a sub?” He smiled sarcastically. That is all Illinois people acted like when we were around. Like we were wasting their time.

 “Nope. Just this is fine,” I said, holding up the two-liter and Alex Triol’s credit card.

 He swiped the card. “Who is this card registered to?” He asked, holding back the card.

 “My brother, Alex Triol,” I said holding out my hand for the card. He put the card in my hand and smiled sarcastically again. I smiled back with just as much sarcasm and walked out carrying my two-liter in one hand and checking my phone with the other. I felt the need to walk in a circle back to the hotel, so instead of walking straight back down, I turned right and then walked a little down the street, turned right again to cut down a small ally that would come out beside our hotel.

 I made it a fourth of the way down, when I noticed a girl standing in the middle of the ally. I literally had no money to give her, so I quickly turned back around. A girl walked around the corner and stood in the middle of the ally. She had the same silhouette as the first girl. I turned back around, that girl was gone. I started walking toward our hotel once more. The girl emerged from the fog. This is just...awesome. A supernatural creature who needed a fix and I am caught with no money. Of course. This is typical luck for me. Sometimes all a creature wants is love or money and if the creature is given what he wants, he will be as happy as a puppy with a new sneaker and a peanut butter jar. If he is not given what he wants, he will be as happy as a hellhound confronted by an angel. This girl was about to become a hellhound and I was the angel.

“I’m sorry,” I said to her. “I don’t have anything for you. I’ll give you something tomorrow if you come back.” I turned the other direction and ran into the girl. Her hair was platinum blonde, her eyes were blue, and her pale skin reflected the brightness of the moon. She blinked. “Hi,” I said, but before I could say anything else, she grabbed my wrist and then we were speeding off. I tried to let out a scream.



© 2013 HermitsUnited


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
Added on December 19, 2012
Last Updated on January 23, 2013
Tags: supernatural, angel, prophet, watchers, hunters, kelpie, demon, family, fantasy, creature, mythology, no title


Author

HermitsUnited
HermitsUnited

Aplacethatmightbein, OH



About
Salve! You can call me Charlie, or whatever. I started writing when I was 13. Started with some good old fanfiction, started to think it was weird and moved on to all of my own stuff. I still like to .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1~ Chapter 1~

A Chapter by HermitsUnited


Chapter 2~ Chapter 2~

A Chapter by HermitsUnited