Venery

Venery

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

 I wander up the stairs aimlessly.A warm glow emits from the bathroom softly lighting the hallway.The dim lighting outlines three bedroom doors.
Which room is mine?
 I flip a nearby light switch on the hallway wall. A pink room on the right grabs my attention. Clearly, this isn't my place, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.I see fairy tale artwork on the walls.Creativity and imagination touch every item throughout this room.It's Diana's.I  smile at the thought of my sister. 

Don't get attached.
My smile fades at the thought of losing her.I close the door to my sister's room and continue my search.
 A nautical themed bedroom is my next destination.There is a certain ambiance to this room. Candles and knick-knacks are a  sign of someone who took care in creating this space.Pictures of a happy couple hang proudly on the wall in pirate ship frames.I recognize the woman in the photos quickly as, Mom.This woman, however, is different somehow, carefree almost.She looks nothing like the stressed out person I had met downstairs.
Does her husband ignore her needs too?
 I shake my head and turn my attention to the last room on the left.Unlike the other rooms, it's uninviting. This door is closed. I press my shoulder lightly onto the wood as I push.The door moves a couple of inches before I can't push it anymore leaving it ajar. I place my hand into the newly created space and start to feel my way around on the wall searching for a light. The culprit is a pile of clothes blocking my entryway. This time I put more force into my push.The door opens making the clothes wedge themselves into the corner.
The room is a hoarder's dream; random items are scattered on the floor making it hard to navigate.I set my sights on a laptop laying on top of an unmade bed.I manage to work my way through the mess.I post my body up against the headboard and place the computer on my lap.The screen lights up and flashes "Welcome Ares."
 Home sweet home.

A grin glides across my face 
The sign in requirement changes my victory into frustration.I need a password.There is a hint prompt flashing.

"The best player in the game."
My mind races with all of the possibilities.I survey my room for some clues, Posters of women posing suggestively on cars stare back at me.

Never too busy to check out a woman.

I see a hockey jersey inside a frame near the closet.I stand up and head over to examine the jersey closer. My blankets crumple onto the floor behind me contributing to the first mess.I place my hand on the outside of the frame tracing the glass with my fingers.Suddenly I hear a knock on my bedroom door frame. Diana is standing there in her ballgown.
"Ares, Mom made spaghetti.Come on!" Diana says invitingly.
" Alright, let's go Princess D" I reply. 
Diana takes off running towards the stairs.Her dress flows whimsically behind her.I follow her down the staircase to the dinner table. Mom is near the stove putting the finishing touches on her dish.Diana sprints by me.She jumps into the chair next to a man with his face buried in a newspaper. The man sits as if he is unaware anyone else is in the room.Mom breaks the silence with a cheerful voice.
"How was work today Drew?" She said as she places food in front of Diana.She takes a seat at the table.
"Work," he said coldly
 Mom is spinning her fork into her spaghetti as if there is some answer in her food. I watch Diana get sauce all over herself as she eats.Thankfully my sister breaks the awkward silence.
"Daddy, Did you know that a robin is red?" She says proudly
The man folds the newspaper and places it on the table. He runs his hand over Diana's head before he speaks,
"I know now princess," he says warmly.
My sister flashes a triumphant smile and goes back to eating her dinner.I couldn't help notice my mother's sad expression while she took a bite of her food.She looks up from her plate, our eyes meet.
"Are you still not feeling well Ares you haven't touched your food?.I can make you some soup instead," she says.
The man makes an annoying noise.
"Liv, When are you going to stop treating him like such a baby?. He says rudely.
I could see the hurt enter her eyes as she takes her next bite of food into her mouth I felt like I needed to defend her.She looks at me oddly when I place my hand on top of hers.Somehow I knew this wasn't the usual dynamic of this family, but I couldn't stop myself. I take a huge bite of food and swallow before I speak,
"No thank you, Mom, spaghetti is perfect,"  I say my eyes locking onto the man. My mother senses the tension.She quickly tries to shift the conversation.
"Drew, Diana has a dance recital coming up, and I was wondering if -" 
His cell phone cuts my mother's sentence off.He walks away from the table abruptly leaving the kitchen.My mom took a breath as she stroked Diana's hair.
"Come on sweetheart, let's get you into the bath, " she says
Diana happily agrees and runs ahead. I can hear her footsteps rapidly climbing the stairs.Mom reaches for her plate as I grab her hand.
"I will take care of the dishes," I say firmly
She nods her head and begins to follow after Diana.
20 min pass as I finish up my dinner. The man reenters the room and sits across from me.He attacks his spaghetti with his knife and fork.The silverware makes an unbearable noise as it scrapes across the plate.
" Ares, you need to stop allowing your mother to belittle you like that.You are a grown man" he says between bites.
 he continues unaware of his rudeness.
" Well, I am glad to see you are feeling better, I had to spend my personal time today correcting the mistakes you made in the Harper account.Stop being so careless it will ruin our reputation in the community."
I work with this a*****e

A low beeping noise interrupts me before I can respond.Drew slams his fork down into his plate and stands up.
"Bar time," he says 
I look at him in disbelief.
"Bar-time? " I repeat out of shock
He begins to hurry around the kitchen as if he is late leaving his mess all over the dinner table.As he approaches the kitchen archway he turns and says,
"What do you think Ares?, Come have a drink with your Dad."
The word dad made me cringe. I could hardly handle considering this rude man to be related to me in any way.I take a minute before I respond.
"Which bar?" I ask warily
Dad looks at me as if I asked the dumbest question in the world.
"The Regal.Are you coming or not?" he answers picking up his keys.
The name made my blood pulse.I knew this was a long shot, but I had to try.
"Yeah. I will meet you outside" I answer
Dad runs out the door. I grab my jacket and make my way to the archway. I glance at the kitchen table full of dirty dishes.I knew I wouldn't ever return here, but I couldn't help shake the nagging feeling of not keeping my offer to help this woman. I gather up all the dishes and toss them into the dishwasher. Two sets of steps are above me as I make my way to the front door.The door creaks this time as I open it. A red sports car pulls up to the front. Dad is yelling for me to hurry up out of the driver's window.
I close the front door as if I'm closing a chapter to a story. My introduction to a tale someone has cleverly written for me. A scripted life I couldn't control.
Only this time I didn't care who I would become.I just wanted the pen back.



 



© 2016 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sorry, but I haven't read the other chapters, but I guess I'd better. In the beginning this reads as though Ares is a ghost come back to a disjointed home. There is a lot of animosity on display for the father for no apparent reason at this point. I presume the previous chapters will clear that up. Well written dialogue though. I like it. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I had to re-read the other chapters. I liked the story and I will begin to read again. Always a pleasure to read your work.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


I was hooked, good writing :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Interesting read. Your character Ares is intriguing, and I agree with another reviewer....in the beginning it sounds like he is disjointed somehow, like a ghost or alien or impersonator. If that was your aim, great job. I look forward to reading more. And of course should you wish to discuss any of this, please do not hesitate to reach out. I enjoy discussing stories with people. Also, I can't tell if it is a site format issue or what, but your punctuation and spacing kind of gets muddled as you read through this. May want to clear that up to make sure your story maintains its flow and people aren't having to re-read lines because of the problem!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sorry, but I haven't read the other chapters, but I guess I'd better. In the beginning this reads as though Ares is a ghost come back to a disjointed home. There is a lot of animosity on display for the father for no apparent reason at this point. I presume the previous chapters will clear that up. Well written dialogue though. I like it. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the story, and the character Ares. The only part that I'm struggling with is, even though I've read the previous chapters, I'm still not entirely certain what is going on. I get that there is something that is moving Ares back and forth through dimensions, time, possibilities, but I would like to see the story tighten up a bit. Maybe another chapter on the council to explain what is going on? Is it a game? Is it a punishment for a crime? Is he a time lord? I wish I had a suggestion on how to do it, but without understanding more, I can't think of anything. Can't wait for the next council meeting! Give me someone to hate

Posted 7 Years Ago


Interesting write, watch your tenses, keep it in the past if that is so or present if that is when the story is happening.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You have a sharp mind for detail and are very descriptive in your writing. Your talent is thoroughly capturing a scene in great detail. Your dialogue writing is good also. Can't wait for the movie based on your writing...

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you !
First of all well done! The flow is great as well as the imagery! My only problem is that I need to read the other chapters of this book because one I want more and two I'm lost!
I'm impressed! Thank you for sharing! What chapter is this so I make sure to start at the beginning?!
Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

thanks Tabby it is the fifth .
Tabby Mac

7 Years Ago

Awesome thanks! I need to catch up!!!
HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

542 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 25, 2016
Last Updated on November 30, 2016


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I can... I can...

A Poem by Zephyr


My World My World

A Poem by Giulia King