Incredulous

Incredulous

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

I follow like a lost puppy behind Havyn. The sliding doors sounded much louder this time as they opened.

 

How can he be so nonchalant about this?

 

It's closing time. The gym is now empty, aside from Lydia reading a magazine at the front desk.

 

"You should ditch that man of yours Lyd. He’s later every night," Havyn says playfully to her.

 

Lydia looks up from her magazine to combat his humor, but screams instead.

 

"Oh my God!" she says pointing to Havyn's shirt, "I'll call the ambulance!"

 

She picks up the receiver of the phone and begins to dial. Havyn places his hand on top of hers, slamming the receiver back down.

 

"No darling, just a nosebleed. Don't you worry about me," he says, while rubbing the back of her hand.

 

Havyn steps back and peels off his shirt showing his perfect model body to the young girl. She blushes, but never takes her eyes off of him. He points to a gym t-shirt hanging on the wall. She tosses it over the counter, disappointed the show is over.

 

How full of yourself are you?

 

Lydia reaches towards him, grabbing a tag on the side of the shirt. She holds it in place while she looks over the inventory on the counter.

 

"Damn, my scissors are missing. People just can't ever seem to stop borrowing things. What is so terrible about bringing it back! Honestly, what does anyone else need scissors for besides me here, regardless," she says aggravated.

 

Havyn leans on the counter and pops a piece of gum in his mouth. He flashes a look in my direction while Lydia is tossing items all over the desk.

 

"Come on Lyd, I can think of a lot of things you could need scissors for... paper, tape, hair. Can you think of any uses Ares," he said jokingly, letting out a laugh.

 

"Real comedian," I say, mocking his laughter.

 

This is ridiculous. First he strangles me now he's cracking jokes.

 

A vehicle with mismatched paint and a broken backseat window came to a screeching halt in front of the building. The horn is pressed on way too heavy to suggest this teenage boy has any manners.

 

"I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow," Lydia says as she scrambles to get to the car.

 

Havyn gives the girl a friendly goodbye wave. I watch the car speed off. We are alone now.

 

"So, are you hungry?" Havyn asks.

 

"Where did the wound on your neck go?" I ask firmly.

 

"Dude, I have my specialty, you have yours. I can regenerate my body, makes my strength out of control," he replies proudly.

 

 "Specialty?" I say quietly.

 

Havyn ignores my statement. He rummages through a nearby mini-fridge under the front desk. He tosses a protein bar my way.

 

"Eat, there is a spare room upstairs. You should find everything you need," he says looking at the staircase behind me.

 

"I'm sorry. Are we just going to ignore the fact that I just tried to murder you? And why in the world would you laugh at a blank piece of paper? Look, if you are just going to kill me upstairs I would rather you just-"Havyn raises a hand up.

 

"It wasn't blank," he says.

 

"Excuse me, I know what I saw," I say back, challenging him 

 

"It all makes sense now. We can’t see each other’s clues," he lets out a small snort, "Genius."

 

"Wait you received one too?" I ask.

 

"Yes. A picture of you with a name. Also, a little side note about how this round is team based. Whatever the hell that means. Either way, I figured I couldn't kill you. For now, at least," he takes a big bite of his protein bar, "It's been a long night, let's just pick up in the morning."

 

I nod back in agreement. What choice do I have?

 

"Thanks, Havyn," I say 

 

Havyn reaches for a pair of car keys hanging on the wall. He stops in front of the door.

 

"Ares, did your clue have my name on it also?" he asks.

 

"No, why?" I answer.

 

"I didn't give you my name," he says as he walks out the door.



© 2016 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter was so good.
"This is ridiculous. First he strangles me now he's cracking jokes."
The above lines. Perfect for this tale. Great thoughts, conversation and description used in the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Really enjoying this story Jade. Good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks Mark !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

396 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2016
Last Updated on December 19, 2016


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End The End

A Poem by Giulia King


Life Life

A Chapter by Blue Rivermoon


Home Home

A Chapter by Blue Rivermoon