Enchanter

Enchanter

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

I persuade myself not to rush into a chase this time. Rushing wouldn’t pay off in this situation. I go back inside the workshop, closing the door behind me.

 

'Let’s try searching the other hallway," Havyn suggests.

 

He couldn't have seen it. That thing is down that corridor.

 

I rub the back of my head.

 

"Wait a second, was this hallway always here or am I just going crazy?" Havyn asks.

 

 

We exit the room. The wall that had previously been a dead end is now a hallway.

 

 

I bite my lip.

 

"The hallway looks like it rotated. But, your still nuts," I say jokingly.

 

He shakes his head, mockingly.

 

He starts moving down the new passageway ahead of me. This hall is more elegant than the last. The stone's dark crimson tint made the white lines of the hand painted flowers pop. The artist possesses a delicate hand. This design stops just shy of another door.

 

This door looks brand new. A fresh coat of white paint and a shiny doorknob doesn't fit the scenery.

 

Havyn tugs at his glove. He’s avoiding eye contact with me.

 

My fingers shake as I reach for the doorknob. Every door opens a new nightmare for me.

 

Havyn widens his stance. His fists are level with his cheeks. I open the door gently.

 

His fists drop. I rub my eyes.

 

The room is a soft rose color, trimmed in powder white. To the side of a child's bed, an instrumental rendition of ‘The Wheels on the Bus’ spills from a small crystal jewelry box.A ballerina spins effortlessly in delicate circles making the dresser her dance floor. An extravagant sky-blue Victorian style dollhouse sits alone in the middle of a worn butterfly rug. My eyes follow the shingles on the roof to a faint black paint signature, it must be handmade.

 

I kneel down to read the signature. My lips move in a synchronized fashion with my thumb.

 

"Dude, what does it say?" Havyn whispers.

 

I opened my mouth, but the word didn't want to come out. He leans over my shoulder to read it for himself.

 

"A-D-D-Y," he says slowly and places his hands on his hips.

 

I stand up to investigate the rest of the room. A teddy bear the size of a man is sitting in an equally large rocking chair. Other stuffed animals surround the toy. The opposite wall is home to a mural. I use the flashlight to get a better look and the picture depicts an open flower field. The sky struck me as odd given the choice of purple color over blue.

 

I hear a creaking noise behind me.

 

"Stop moving around like that. You are freaking me out," I whisper.

 

Havyn places his hand on my shoulder.

 

"Dude, what are you talking about? I have been standing here the whole time," he replies. 

 

I tilt my head raising an eyebrow at him.

 

I use the flashlight to circle the room, using my mind to take inventory of the items that were here initially. I leave the beam pointing at the rocking chair.

 

"The bear,” I stammer.

 

Havyn rolls his eyes.

 

"They are toys, man. I think we need just to figure out an escape route, then, we can come back tomorrow," he offers.

 

I shake my head in agreement.

 

Havyn focuses his attention on something next to the child's bed. He bends down to pick it up.

 

"Wow, this is the creepiest thing I've ever seen, and heavy to" he says, straining to get the item.

 

I gasp, shooting my body backward instinctively

 

A modified Jack in the Box stares me in the face. Instead of having one head, this toy had three. Each head had a different expression: anxious, angry, and one that just looked tired. Havyn leans in closer to the toy, examining the angry face closer than the others.

 

"Damn, this reminds me of the time my dad tried to build me something. I was scared for weeks," he says, laughing.

 

The sickening thud of the toys head into Havyns face made my stomach turn. Havyn shot his hands up to cover his nose. The toy drops to the ground. I can hear the accordion-like noise as it slithered to the other side of the room. Blood seeps out from in between his fingers. I rush to his side applying an extra hand for pressure as he writhes in pain.

 

Havyn curses under his breath, stomping up and down in place. I put my hand on his chest to try and calm him down. His arm pushes me out of the way as he takes off running after the toy. Havyn attempts to close the distance by diving at the box, but a significant figure intercepts him mid-air, tossing his body into the wall. I cringe at the sound of his bones cracking from the impact.

 

Havyn remains lifeless against the wall as the figures start advancing towards me.

 

My eyes scan the room for an escape or at least a weapon. I shut my flashlight off to hide my position. I can hear the two figures shuffle around the chamber. The door creaks and I feel a light touch on my back. I crash my elbow as hard as I can into my attacker.

 

"My face!" a young woman screams.

 

The bedroom light turns on. The creatures in the room are much more horrifying out of the dim lighting. The young lady is a site for sore eyes. She sits on the child's bed, rubbing her bloody lip and immediately whips a cosmetic mirror out of her pocket to examine the damage.

 

I stare in admiration. The blood pouring from her lips somehow made her dark makeup enchanting. Havyn is stirring off of the floor. He hobbles over to me, his gaze switching from the horrifying toys to this attractive girl.

 

"S**t, I got my a*s kicked by a teddy bear,” he whispers, eyes downcast to the floor.

 

I hold my hand up to him.

 

"We didn't come here for this!" I yell.

 

"I know exactly why you came here,” Nyxia replies sharply.

 

"Then why attack us!" I scream.

 

"I have zero interest in your cause Ares; I already have my family." She stares at the toys.

 

She knows who I am.

 

"Where is the girl?" she asks.

 

"What girl?" I reply

 

Nyxia chuckles, wiping the last of the blood from her face.

 

"So the rumors are true. Wonderful," she says amused.

 

I raise my fist.

 

"Stop being so vague!" my voice cracked.

 

Havyn grabs my fist, pulling it towards him.

 

"Dude, relax, we need her," he murmurs.

 

Nyxia braces herself against the headboard of the bed. Her knees now resting.

 

"Havyn, what a pleasure to see you again. I have to say it is indeed surprising to see you two are a duo," she remarks, condescendingly.

 

Havyn shoots a glare in my direction. I avoid eye contact.

 

"I suppose the details aren't all that important," she says.

 

She knows I eliminated him.

 

"Ares, you are so quiet over there. A lot on your mind?" she coos.

 

I stare at the toys.

 

Nyxia jumps off of the bed, standing in front of them.

 

"Let me cut straight to the point: I am sorry you boys came all this way, but allow me to show you out," she says, pointing to the door.

 

"You know as well as I do, that isn't an option," I say.

 

She scoffs.

 

"Together? We both know teamwork isn't your strong suit. Tell me Ares, did you even fully awaken yet or are you just running blind? This game ends whether I play or not. We get chosen to live again or purgatory. So instead of competing, I intend on staying right here and enjoying my life as it is. Do you remember me at all?" she inquires.

 

I stare.

 

She makes a clicking noise with her tongue.

 

"Havyn, you must have led him here. I'm flattered," she says, pursing her lips into a kiss.

 

Havyns face flushes.

 

He swings his arm rapidly towards her.

 

"I wouldn't say it was good memories," he yells.

 

Nyxia holds her hand over her heart.

 

'You are crushing my feelings; I am unfair to you boys. I did hide out during the game quite a bit. I am fully awakened this time around. I have a new talent," she says laughing.

 

"What’s that? Playing with toys?" Havyn mocks.

 

A laugh escapes me.

 

Nyxia takes a compact mirror out and fusses with her lipstick.

 

"That kind of absent minded thinking will get you killed. Well, in your case, killed again," she whistles.

 

Havyn growls.

 

I see blonde hair clinging to the door frame, soon a head follows. A porcelain doll peeked into the room curiously. I hold my breath. One-half of her face is severely damaged. Large cracks lace her face like veins.

 

Nyxia follows my eyes. She drops her compact lunging forward. Havyn cuts her off, scooping the doll into his arms first.

 

"Give her to me!" she screams.

 

"You should learn to share your toys," he replies sarcastically.

 

Nyxia reaches into her boot to reveal a pocket knife. She inches towards Havyn.

 

"I am warning you one last time. Put her down," she says in a low growl.

 

I look at Havyn, pleadingly, using my hand to indicate dropping the toy.

 

Something’s wrong with these things. The mannerisms are too real

 

"I don't like the way you are holding me mister," the doll says.

 

His mouth gapes open.

 

A knife goes whizzing past Havyns face, splitting his cheek open. He lets go of the toy to grab his cheek. The doll walks halfway to Nyxia before stopping.

 

Nyxia extends her arms to her.

 

"Adelita, get away from them," she beckons softly.

 

Addy, the name on the dollhouse.

 

Havyn bends down to one knee, placing his hand on his cheek.

 

"Sorry Nyx," the doll replies.

 

Adelita makes her way over to Havyn, placing her hand, lovingly, onto his face. His wound is surrounded by a white light, and soon disappears. She pulls Havyn’s chin up.

 

"There you go, Mister, all better now!" she says playfully.

 

Nyxia dashes in, scooping the doll up swiftly. She cradles her close to her chest.

 

"I just wanted to help," Adelita whines into her chest.

 

I nudge Havyn, but he remains deadlocked on Nyxia.

 

Nyxia carries Adelita over to the bed, smoothing out the toys dress. She places a kiss on its head. The toys step in front of the bed, blocking Adelita. Nyxia walks towards me with purpose. I reach down, grabbing the knife she threw. I step in front of Havyn, pointing my weapon towards her in anticipation.

 

“I can't help you Ares. You need to get out of here before this gets ugly,” she says.

 

I point to the dolls.

 

“If you don't come with us you will lose them,” I say.

 

Nyxia stares firmly.

 

 “You can't manipulate me. I have nothing to lose here,” she says,

“I'm not begging you to come, I am just stating facts. The decision is yours: play or not. But know this one thing: If we lose, you’re going to get your final judgement. Whatever you get, they get.

 

Nyxia looks back to the dolls with a troubled look.

 

“If we win?” she asks.

 

“You can stay in your creepy a*s lifestyle for eternity,” Havyn says.

He points to me.

 

‘None of us want to be here and quite frankly, I don’t know how he got this many rounds under his belt!” he exclaims.

 

 You and I both. I shouldn't of, I didn't deserve it.

 

Nyxia seems lost in thought.

 

“Understand if I go, this isn't for any of you.” she says.

 

We both nod.

 

She turns to her toys, speaking softly to them. The bear keeps his eyes on us while she talks.

 

“Wait here. I'll grab my gear,” she hurries past us. The toys follow.

 

‘I didn't think she would go for it, she’s pretty hot. Havyn says punching my arm playfully.

 

I shake my head.

 

This is going to be more work than I thought.



© 2017 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have a great story going...although I got a little lost in some places. I find, in writing a novel, it's is far too easy to know the story so well in my head, that I forget the reader doesn't know all those unwritten bits and pieces that tie it all together. Sometimes, that's intentional...and you throw teasers in to make the reader curious so they keep reading to learn more. You've got a lot going for you in this chapter. Nice job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Now that the team is formed, what will happen? Nyxia is one creepy chick. Havyn seems like he has a secret and I want to know what it is. Ares, I think I'm losing the character a bit; there isn't really any development in this chapter for him. I still don't fully understand what is going on. There is some kind of game in between life and death, but I don't understand the purpose. There's multiple players, teams are being formed, there's a council, and I like the story so far, but I'm having trouble connecting everything. I would suggest working on something that will tie this all together, and also work on Ares's character. He's the main person from the beginning, and I still don't know anything about him really. I am enjoying your story, and I'll check out the next chapter soon
Dani

Posted 7 Years Ago


That was crazy bananas Jade...those toys were insane...lol, that a*s kicking teddy was creepy funny. Some of your lines cracked me up. Vivid imagination and imagery

Posted 7 Years Ago


This created a vivid image. I love it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


The imagery is vivid and imagination is great.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Great imagery and cleverly written. The story is getting good :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


the makings of a great book,interesting chapter

Posted 7 Years Ago


Good use of the imagination Jade and once again I see improvements here. I do like the toys (very clever)

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


You have a lot of well written lines in this and the idea is well established. If writing a story, why do you put one sentence on top of another instead of paragraph form? Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 30, 2016
Last Updated on January 10, 2017


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Intoxicate Intoxicate

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO