Unhinged

Unhinged

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

My lungs fill with the crisp night air. We’ve managed yet again to survive another day. The small victory is bittersweet, yet, I can't help wonder when our luck will run out. The challenges will just get harder.

 

Nyxia cradles Adelita tightly to her chest. It's funny, an hour ago, I would have said she was a heartless woman, but now I see a touch of compassion in her. Havyn keeps pace with her in harmony. His feet take direction from hers. I keep a safe distance from the group. As we reach the gates, Nyxia bends down, reaching to pick up a small teddy bear from the pile of gifts. She wipes her hand across her cheek swiftly before shoving it in her bag.

 

"I didn't plan on bringing home a toy box. They are going to have to ride in the bed of the truck," Havyn says.

 

Nyxia pushes past him slamming her shoulder into his. He stumbles back slightly, tightening his fist for a few seconds before releasing it again.

 

Havyn makes his way over to the truck bed to open the latch.

 

"Bruiser, you are going to have to give Jack a hand. I didn't get to finish his wheels. Sadly, I was interrupted," Nyxia says.

 

She shoots Havyn a dirty look.

 

The bear scoops the Jack-in-the-Box into the bed of the truck. The metal clang causes a family of bats to shoot out from a nearby tree. He opens his arms towards Nyxia, reaching for Adelita, but she pushes his hand down softly.

 

"No, I will keep her with me," she says.

 

"Whatever you want kiddo," he replies, taking a seat next to the other toy.

 

I crease my brow.

 

The toy possesses a thick Italian accent. Havyn rolls his eyes as he jumps into the driver’s side. I can hear him shuffling around items to make room for an extra passenger. Nyxia flinches as she scoots inside. I do my best to slide in next to her, but her doll presses into my side. My door barely shuts.

 

I watch the crypt vanish from the passenger side mirror, a reflection of how fast a moment can diminish.

 

"You are very knowledgeable about the game, Ares. The council goes above and beyond to make participation difficult. So how are you so informed?" Nyxia questions.

 

 I am not an expert, but maybe it's best to keep that a secret. Feed her a lie.

 

"Everyone wakes up with different memories. I wouldn't say that I know anything more than anyone else, just a different portion of it," I reply.

 

Nyxia narrows her eyes.

 

I clear my throat before redirecting the question, “So how about you?" I ask in return.

 

 "I left myself notes," she says, crossing her legs.

 

Havyn leans forward, closer to his wheel.

 

"Notes?" he fires back at her before I can ask.

 

"I heard there was a chance I could come back. So, I left myself some reminders. I haven't been able to find all of them, but the few I did have helped a little so far," she answers.

 

Clever girl.

 

"How did you come up with that idea on your own?" I persist.

 

Nyxia shifts Adelita over to her other shoulder. The doll faces Havyn now.

 

"I didn't say it was my idea," she states.

 

"Oh, hello again, Mister!" Adelita says cheerfully.

 

Havyn sinks a few inches down into his seat. He offers a small wave.

 

"It's ok sweetheart; we don't need to waste our manners on him," Nyxia whispers to Adelita.

 

The doll giggles.

 

Havyn's knuckles turn white on the steering wheel. The truck comes to a stop in front of a mailbox and a wooden canopy. I tilt my head at Havyn.

 

"It's getting late; I think it's best we stay at my place. The road to my house isn't suitable for vehicles. We have to walk up this trail for a bit," he says.

 

Nyxia throws her hands up.

 

I jump out of the passenger side, holding open the door for Nyxia.

 

"Do you want me to help get the toys-" I stammer before she cuts me off.

 

"They have names! Bruiser and Jack," she barks.

 

I put both palms in front of my chest.

 

"Alright, I'm sorry." I apologize.

 

"We are okay on our own, kid," I hear from behind me.

 

I wipe my forehead.

 

Havyn grabs a gym bag out of the backseat and throws it over his shoulder. I can feel a sensation against my ankle. I use my other foot to scratch the area, the irritation won't let up.Havyn takes notice to my aggravation.

 

"Just scratch it," Havyn suggests.

 

I lift my jeans up slightly to scratch. A chill runs down my spine from the sight of the links surround my ankle.

 

A chain?

 

My back slams into the ground, but before my body can register any pain, I propel through the air. The metal groans as the chains reel me in, but I can't see the so-called fisherman. The air thrusts into my ears so hard it muffles my teammate's screams below. I succumb to nausea, closing my eyes. My moment of peace is interrupted by the feeling of my blood rushing to my head. The chain stops tugging my ankle. Branches from the tree stab into my back as I sway back and forth.

 

"You have to got to be kidding me!" I scream, pulling my hair.

 

"Calm down, I got this!" Havyn yells up to me.

 

He jumps up and down, attempting to reach the chain.

 

"Nyxia, help me. We need to get him down now," Havyn barks. 

 

"It's too late, she found us," she says.

 

Her eyes fixate on something above me. I lean up to try to alleviate some pressure from my body.

 

"What the hell are you talking about!" he screams at her.

 

The chain snaps, causing my body to freefall on top of Havyn, knocking us both to the ground. My body stings as I roll away from him. A figure runs toward me with furious speed. Nyxia steps in front of me, intercepting its advance. The two women struggle for powerful. A structure forms above our head, beams shoot to the ground like spokes, and purple light weaves between each section, creating a fence and separating Havyn from both of us. Bruiser assists Havyn in an assault, both pounding away at the structure.

 

My mouth dries.

 

The woman pins Nyxia to the ground and places her foot on her neck.

 

"I only came for the boy, don't make this difficult," the woman says through clenched teeth.

 

"Alexis, don't do this," Nyxia pleads.

 

I know that face.

 

"I am giving you one more chance to stand down," Alexis yells.

 

"No. You aren't going to ruin this for me!" Nyxia screams.

 

 

Nyxia's body emits an eerie green glow, warning her opponent to keep her distance. The powerful blast from Nyxia knocks Alexis to the ground violently. Her force field weakens, flashing a few times before disappearing.  Nyxia rises off of the ground effortlessly hovering a few feet above the woman’s head. Bruiser takes his opportunity to catch Alexis off guard. He slams his shoulder into her forcing her to evict all air from her body. The impact of his attack launches her body a couple of feet. She desperately lifts her body up to a seated position.

 

Her mouth twists into a smile.

 

"This isn't over," she says.

 

A fluorescent chain descends from a portal above her head. She wraps her body onto the chain as it retracts; the woman is gone. Nyxia drops to the ground and Havyn rushes to her side, grabbing her hand.

 

"Are you ok?" he asks.

 

She rips her hand from his.

 

"I'm all right; I don't need your help," Nyxia snaps.

 

"Listen, you two can hash this out later. We need to get inside, its dangerous out here," I suggest.

 

Nyxia springs up from the ground. Havyn avoids her stare.

 

"I just don't understand why she would attack you," he murmurs.

 

"Back off," she says sternly. 

 

Nyxia picks up Adelita and stomps her way up the path ahead of us. Bruiser follows close behind her, leaving Jack alone with us.

 

"Looks like I need a hand, muscle man," Jack says, in between an annoying clown chuckle.

 

Havyn shrugs.

 

"Fine," he says, hoisting the toy onto his back with ease.

 

I follow behind, my injuries causing my stride to slow.

 

Did Nyxia try to protect me?

 

A short walk reveals a log home. The porch is aligned with redwood chairs, overlooking the woods. The glow from the slightly-open front door welcomes me inside. The fireplace roars from the living room, the warmth caresses my face. Nyxia's mouth is open wide as she walks around.

 

"There are two bedrooms upstairs, get some rest," Havyn declares, pointing to the staircase.

 

Nyxia stares blankly at him

 

"What's wrong?" he asks.

 

"The house isn't what I expected," she admits.

 

Havyn crosses his arms. He takes a breath to reply to her comment, but she is already halfway up the stairs. I say my goodnights to Havyn before heading upstairs myself. My room is a soft mint color and the furniture in the room is created from bamboo shoots. An interior decorator obviously had a hand in this house. The bed creaks as I hop in. The ceiling is decorated to look like the sky; I stare into the clouds. The lining is a golden yellow borrowed from the sun.

 

How lovely the light could be, if only it never had to succumb to darkness.



© 2017 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on January 6, 2017
Last Updated on January 20, 2017


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO