Gambler

Gambler

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

The sensation of blood pumping through my muscles is exhilarating. Working out is a new experience. I didn’t want to give Havyn any credit, but I felt amazing. I turn the volume up on my headphones as I continue. Nyxia makes her way over to the stairs, followed by Havyn. I glance up at the clock, it is getting late. Perhaps they are just turning in for the night. I am too awake to settle down yet.

 

<Havyn>

“What made you change your mind?” I ask, leaning on her doorway.

“The attack got my mind racing a little.”

“That attack was unexpected. It caught all of us off-guard.” I sympathize.

“It wasn't the surprise of it that made me uneasy. She turned into someone I didn't recognize anymore. I knew the person, just not the behavior. I mean, I knew enough about the game to know everyone would be changing overtime, but I guess to see it startled me,” she fidgets with a piece of her hair.

“You seem to remember quite a bit just from notes,” I accuse.

Nyxia leans on her door, facing me, inches away from my shoulder.

“Everyone spent their time differently, Havyn. Some chose to kill; some chose to just keep running to the end. I chose to observe,” her voice quiets.

“What did you observe about me?” the question escapes my mouth.

Her eyes drop to the floor. In this few seconds of silence, she is focusing on what to say. But I, on the other hand, am concentrating on the smell of her lilac perfume. She bites her lip before she speaks.

 “You have become something better,” she whispers.

I slam my eyes shut, letting out a small breath. Her forehead puckers a little before her shoulder leaves the door.

“Listen, you’re lucky you don’t remember, Havyn. We were all monsters back then. It’s best to leave all of that in the past,” she declares.

Before I could answer, the bedroom door clicks. I place my hand on the door, debating if I should knock but I decide against it, there wasn’t any use. The walk down the stairs to see Ares and Bruiser felt like a lifetime. I see the pair sitting at the table, talking like old friends. Ares addresses me first.

“You alright man?” he asks.

“Yeah, conversation got a little deep you know.”

“I'm surprised you had a conversation at all,” Ares snickers.

“There are a lot of surprises lately. I’m done for the day, going to go crash in my room, dude.”

Ares answers my goodnight with a short nod. Nyxia’s door stares at me as I pass to my room.

 

<Ares>

 

Bruiser slouches back into the kitchen chair.

“I wonder what that was all about,” Bruiser whispers, lighting another cigarette.

I lean away from his smoke, twisting my mouth.

“What? You still in shock over us kid?” he points at me.

“It isn't the easiest thing to get used to. I don't even understand what you guys are. Give me a break,” I state.

“Same thing you are, just in a different form.”

“A person?” I question.

“Yes, well not anymore, just the souls of whom we used to be,” his comment catches me off guard.

“But how?” I couldn’t stop myself from asking.

“I don't know, kid. First, I get gunned down after a run, next thing you know I’m a big teddy bear. Life’s unpredictable sometimes,” he waves his cigarette through the air as he talks.

“Have you ever asked Nyxia how she did it?”

“Rule number one of the mob: Don’t ask any questions. I live and breathe, so to speak, in the now. I'm in debt to that girl. End of story.” His commitment struck me as odd.

Jack’s laugh causes me to look over in his direction. Adelita sits alongside him, laughing along at the cartoons.

“What about them? Did they used to be people also?” I gesture towards the two.

“Of course they were, kid.” He leans in closer to me. “Jack came a couple years after me. Nyx said he had some kind of personality disorder. He is a triplet, two other brothers that were just as insane as he was. He died in the asylum. The other two brothers were so attached to him that they committed suicide shortly after. Supposedly, they buried all of three next to each other. He has all three of those heads because the brothers couldn't be separated, can't function without each other. Hess crazy, can't decide how he's feeling ever and if he does, it turns into an argument with the other two. I don’t mind though; he helps keep the girls safe. That’s all that matters.”

“What about the porcelain one? She seems to be special to her. Nyxia had a panic attack when Havyn picked her up that day.” Adelita’s damaged face shines in the television’s glow.

“Sisters do have a special bond,” he responds.

My eyes widen.

Bruiser leans forward in his seat, watching Adelita. She gestures a small wave at him. The television illuminates the damage on her face. She sends a wave in our direction. Bruiser returns it, continuing his story. “She’s a good kid, sad story though. Died in a car crash along with the parents. A semi side-swiped them. The car caught flames, burning up the parents’ remains. Addy's body was still together because she got launched through the windshield. S**t makes me sick to my stomach; she was only 8. But when your number’s up, it’s up.”

“Why would Nyxia care?” I inquire.

 “I never asked. In all fairness, she isn't aware I know this much. She’s a private person. The crypt was boring. I ran out of things to read, and then one day I found the articles in her shop and helped myself to them. It’s her sister, you know?”

“If she is her sister, why didn't she run from us that day in the crypt? She tried to help Havyn.”

“See, here’s the thing, we stay the same person we were when we died. She died a child so, she will always remain a child. Her mind doesn't comprehend harm. She lives her life blissfully unaware that there are any bad things in this world. We all try to keep it that way. As far as your friend, she just casted a basic cure spell. That’s her thing: white magic. Wanted to be just like her sister, casting magic. Nyx was reluctant to teach her black magic, so she found her a book on white magic. She’s a smart kid, picked it up fast.”

I take a sip from my drink, unsure of what to say.

“How does she choose your… um, bodies?”

“She makes them. You saw the shop.” He puts out the cigarette in his paw.

“But why toys? And why is Adelita’s face damaged? Can't she just fix it?” I swallow hard, immediately regretting my question.

“I don't know the details, but I do know she wanted Adelita to be able to live her life like it was before. I guess we were sort of comfort objects in the beginning. Addy's body is special. I have seen old pictures of her when she was alive. Beautiful girl. There’s one picture of her holding that doll in her hands with a big smile, looked like it was at a birthday party. There is a man with his arm around her. I’m assuming it was the father. Nyx didn't build that one, it had meaning. It's probably why she won’t alter it. You can't alter sentiment.”

Bruiser stops speaking as the stairs creek. Nyxia makes her way over, shutting the television off. Both Jack and Adelita sigh.

“Honestly, Bruiser, I don't know why you let these two stay up so late. Come on you two, bed time,” she instructs.

“Aw. But I want to stay up,” Adelita whines.

“Yeah! Us too,” Jack interjects.

Nyxia shakes her head in protest; the two dolls walk in front of her, up the stairs.

“Bruiser, are you coming?” she asks.

“In a few min, wanted to read a few more articles before bed.” He opens a newspaper.

“Alright, but not too late okay? You know Addy has trouble getting to sleep without you.” She leans over the staircase.

“You got it princess. Twenty minutes and I’m there,” he promises.

Nyxia smiles at Bruiser as she walks up the stairs.

“She does have a soft side after all,” I stare at Bruiser.

“Just a little rough around the edges, product of her world. You guys will have a strong group if you get it together, you know?” he advises.

“Trying, this isn’t the easiest bonding experience.” I place my head onto the table.

“Don't expect anything to be easy, kid. There are more things to knock you down in the world than pick you up. It builds character. The odds are against you guys for sure, but you have to be smart. Align with the right people, find more people-get more strength. The egos will murder you faster than anything coming your way.” He crinkles the paper.

I look up, Bruiser changes the page he is reading. I focus on the front of the newspaper. A headline reads “High school student discovers cure." The picture shown below is of a boy holding a trophy. It stops my breath.

Bruiser lowers the newspaper.

“What’s the plan anyway? You guys figure out where we are heading?” he asks.

“I just did,” I murmur.

Evan, hopefully you'll help this time.



© 2017 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another great chapter! I liked finding out more about the toys! I can't say enough how impressive your dialogues are! I feel like these chapters are really smooth too! Great job keep it up! I'm enjoying this story!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I really enjoy your writing, Jade! I don't have anything negative to say about this chapter. I love the dialogue, it creates a vivid image :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks Gullia!
Finally, I get round to having a read - sorry it took so long Jade.

Your writing is still coming along in leaps and bounds. It fows so much better than what it did (not saying it was bad becasue it wasnt) But it is so nice when you can see a writer working hard at their story and their story works hard for them. Your usage of words and sentences are becoming so much more better structured and the whole book is shaping up reall nicely. The story itself is solid and your hard work which you have put into it is paying off.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks Mark happy to see you back =]
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
Again, great story telling. I love the dialogue and the characters. You forget how they are in different bodies and you can only see them as people. That is a good thing. You sprinkle things in to keep us reminded of the reality of it but you make everything very personable.

Love this story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks Bev!
I enjoy your writing, it flows with ease and intrigues me. You have a consistency I admire, a realness and raw quality, really well written :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!
great chapter jade,it sounds just like a life experience,how much better could the write be ?

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

420 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 29, 2017
Last Updated on January 30, 2017


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Intoxicate Intoxicate

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


I can... I can...

A Poem by Zephyr