Rattle

Rattle

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

The birds outside my window charm me out of my bed to admire their song. The uniformity within the group is something I could only hope to achieve with others. This is the last breakfast we will spend in this home.

Who knew if we would ever make it back here? The real battle is just beginning.

 

“We need to agree on where we are heading next,” Havyn says, folding his hands on the table.

“I doubt we will ever agree on anything,” Nyxia scoffs from the sink behind us.

The veins in Havyn’s neck are protruding. He brings his hands down to the table, shaking my juice.

“You know, Nyxia, maybe if you-” Havyn starts to yell.

I raise my hand slightly to stop Havyn from feeling this. He crosses his arms; his muscles look even bigger than usual.

“I know where to go,” I explain.

I slide the newspaper displaying the article over to Havyn. Nyxia makes her way to the table, looking at the article over his shoulder. They both glance at me, then back at the article.

“I don’t understand; you want to head to a high school?” Havyn says, shaking his hand.

“To find a teenager? You know I had a feeling you had no clue what you were doing. Now I'm sure you don’t,” Nyxia contributes.

I keep my stare firm.

“He’s not just any teenager,” I assure.

“I don’t recognize the name. What about you?” Havyn directs the question at Nyxia.

Havyn slides the newspaper closer to Nyxia. She reads closely, pursing her lips.

“What’s the matter?” Havyn picks up on Nyxia’s discomfort.

“I don't,” she says leaning on the article.

I lean on the table, making sure to meet her at eye level.

“He didn't play in your round,” I inform.

Nyxia’s face turns red.

“Then why waste our time with questions you already know the answer to?” she asks, raising her tone.

“I had to be sure,” I respond calmly.

“Wait a second. Does that mean we are up against players from different rounds?” Havyn throws out.

“Every round. There are going to be people even I don't know. This is going to be dangerous. All I know for sure is we need to be together on this. Can we do that? Because if we can't, we might as well just kill each other here,” I point out.

Havyn and Nyxia exchange glances before nodding in agreement.

“Get packed up. Bring whatever you are going to need to be your best. We leave tomorrow morning.”

I spent most of my day lying in my room. Being able to lay in bed for a few hours is a small comfort in the midst of everything. Night fell fast. I take a walk to the backyard, finding a spot to nestle into the lawn. I place my hands behind my head, looking for answers in the stars.

This wasn't supposed to be this way. I’m taking a gamble with other people’s lives now. I need to find you. What am I doing? I'm looking for someone, and I don’t even know who it is.

Clouds roll in, darkening the sky above my head.

Are you looking for me too?

Goosebumps form on my body.

 Someone is watching me.

I can smell that rain is on its way. I sit up, tightening blades of grass in my hands.

Rain drops fall slowly into my eyelids, freezing my face.

“It’s starting to rain, you should come inside,” I hear from the sliding door behind me.

“Are you always this intrusive?” I say, wiping the grass off my pants.

Nyxia sits down next to me. She pulls her sleeves down, blocking the rain.

I raise my eyebrow at her.

“I came outside to get some air,” she explains.

“Where’s Havyn?”

“Passed out in his bed. Drooling. Disgusting.” She keeps her eyes on the stars.

“Maybe that’s how he gets prepared for stuff. I have a feeling nothing will prepare us for what we are up against,” I exhale watching the white smoke escape my lips.

“I hate to point this out, but the odds of us winning are slim to none. The council will change the rules to fit their needs. Only the people they want to win will be victorious.” her fingers twist the blades of grass.

“This isn't my first rodeo; they are keeping me in this game for a reason. Explain that.” I relax, lying on my back.

“I can't.” She wipes the rain from her cheek.

“Let’s stop the games. You know something.” I shift my body.

Our eyes meet.

“What gives you the impression I know more than I should? Maybe I know what you know. Let’s leave it at that.”

You couldn't.

“For the amount of time you were in competition, you have more knowledge than most. When I speak to Havyn, it's like he wasn't even in that moment. No thoughts, opinions. Just random items that trigger a response. It's robotic,” I continue.

“I only remember a few details from the notes I left. I spent most of my awakening relocating them to remind myself. One spot leads me to the next. It was funny you know, I put those notes down on a whim like I knew I would be back somehow. Nothing could explain why I was doing what I was doing. My moves seem to be predetermined. Something has been compelling me through this whole thing.” She rubs her legs.

She lays down, letting the raindrops land on her face. The drops pick up speed.

“When I finally settled into my craft, I made a home in the crypt. It wasn't in my plan to find that place, but the more I explored, I came across a room filled with equipment and books. The books were filled with frantic scribbles like someone was racing a clock to get everything out of their mind and on the pages. Notes about players and it spoke of a game. It was then I realized my circumstances weren't all that different. This game, our game, was played before and will continue way after. I vowed to study everything I could get my hands on to get me through it. Figured I wouldn't try to look for the game this time. Let it come to me. Then you showed up. The game arrived right on my doorstep, and I had a choice, just like you, to either play it or let it play without me. I won't let the game play without me, and I have others who depend on me. At some point, I lost faith and figured it would be safer just not to play, try to enjoy my life.” She closes her eyes tightly.

“What if those books are fake?” I open my eyes.

“You ever play chess?” she asks.

I raise my eyebrow.

“You ever win a game without losing any pawns?”

“Of course not, it isn't possible,” I chuckle.

“So, maybe were the pawns, we’re just meant to get you where you need to go,” she clears her throat.

“And if you are?” I hold my breath anticipating the attitude i was surely about to recieve.

“Then I play my role,” she says automatically.

“You aren’t exactly who I thought you were.” I shake my head.

The thunder sounds closer this time. Nyxia stands up, wiping her clothes off.

“You said you were looking for someone?”

“Yes and failing miserably,” I answer, ashamed.

Nyxia walks away from me. She gets a few feet distance before she speaks.

“Victoria.”

I sit up, looking at her.

“Excuse me?”

“You were traveling with a girl in our round Ares. Her name is Victoria.”

Nyxia walks into the house, sliding the door behind her. The rain pours down, assaulting my face, but I remain, trying to look through the storm. The moon peeks out from behind the clouds.

I'll find you.



© 2020 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

you do a wonderful job drawing the reader into the story. Amazing job!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is very good. You have such a way with your characters, I can picture them. It is overall compelling thank you for sharing. God Bless

Sheer Terror

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you !
You keep the interest high...nice interactions.
Nicely done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and taking the time to review all of these chapters!
Your attention to detail is quite incredible, i felt like i was the camera man filming. well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading !
hmm i love it very claver

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Thank you !
the birds charm me out of my bed,the beautiful music
i guess was my favorite line

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

I appreciate you reading !
The whole piece was good. In particular liked it the little bit about scribbling against the clock bit - very imaginative i have to say.

One suggestion - be more descriptive with the rain.

Othen than that...the piece was good.

Mark

Posted 7 Years Ago


very good I like how you use a gods name what is this trying to convey rattling who

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

529 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 29, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2020


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Intoxicate Intoxicate

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Enchanter Enchanter

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO