Chpt. 13

Chpt. 13

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer

 

into the night like the well-seasoned newsies we were. It was a while of dodging police and drunks before I decided to say anything to Jesse, even then I could tell that it sounded weak and forced.

"Dat wasa good idea, tellin’ Satin ‘bout Haley Rose."

"Yeah… figgered it was da least I could do, she’s a cute kid. James should do betta by ‘er."

"At least he’s trying." The second the words were out of my mouth that I wished I could snatch them back, they had come out icy and bitter and not like I’d meant them at all. Jesse fell silent again and I kicked myself mentally. What was I thinking? With Haley Rose and James sounding like a glorified version of what Jesse and I could have been five years ago, I hafta be careful what I say. I didn’t realize that the sigh I heaved could be heard until Jesse said,

"I know what yer thinkin’, ‘nd yeah I guess da lil’ goil do make me feel lika heel fer what I done. But ‘s da God’s honest truth, I didn’t know…" he was so distracted that it was easy for me to put my hand over his mouth firmly. It took him a second to realize it, and in that moment I realized how much darker I’d gotten with a tan and with dirt. I’d all but marveled at how dark the other newsies were, but now my skin matched Jesse’s, blended in even. While I’d been back at the Treasure Chest, Satin or Silk would toss me into a tub filled with lukewarm water and wouldn’t let me leave until I’d scrub off all the dirt. Besides that I’d always be bundled under all of my layers of clothes and under my hat when I was outside, and I was all but trapped underground in my room, keeping Belle away from the big, frightening city.

My eyes accidentally met Jesse’s while I was fixating on my hand; I realized he was staring at me, waiting for me to say what I was going to say.

"’k, shut yer fool mouth ‘nd listen ta me fer once ‘nd fer all, ya big lug. I know yer lookin’ fer me ta send ya off ta church er wherever ‘nd say yer prayers ‘nd ‘ll fergive ya fer everythin’, Jesse. But I ain’t gonna do that." I paused trying to think of how I was going to finish this, but I spoke quickly because his face fell in a puddle around his shoes. "’cause dare ain’t nutin’ ta fergive. I love Belle, ‘nd ‘m glad dat I got her in my life. So there’s only one thing I really can do ta ya." I paused again; let him sweat for a few seconds because he was being a bum tonight. "Thank ya Jesse, really, from da bottom ‘ve my heart." I could tell that this was not what he expected me to say; anger, everlasting penance, maybe even me slugging him across the face, but not this. Jesse didn’t expect thanks from what most people would consider the end of my life and future. His shock showed all over his face as he sat down hard on the closest stoop,

"Wha’d ya say?" he dug a finger in one ear and rooted around for a second before removing the finger and leaning closer to me, a vain attempt to hear me better.

"I said thank ya." Jesse leaned his head in his hands,

"Dat’s what I thought ya said." came out very muffled. He scrubbed at his face for a second and pushed his ratty hair back, then looked at me, "ya know dat most people woulda…" this time I did lean over and punch him in the shoulder.

"That ya gotta stop. I ain’t most people, Jesse, dat ya gotta get through yer thick skull." I knocked him lightly on the side of the head as I plopped down on the stoop beside him. "If’n I was most people, I wouldn’t be dressed like dis witta buncha streetrat’s who’re makin’ public nuisances of demselves." I grinned at Jesse, trying to make a joke; well he was smiling at me, but not in the teasing way I’d come to expect from him. It was a smaller smile, a tender smile; he reached up and lightly played with a lock of hair that had escaped my harried braid and my cap.

"Yer sure one inna million, Velvet, I ain’t never gonna meet another goil like ya." He started leaning forward, his face getting too close to mine. I pulled away, laughed it off despite my pounding heart, standing up I finished his sentence,

"’nd if ya do ya might not survive us." Jesse slumped back and did his best to hide his disappointment and frustration.

"So what do our fearless leaders have planned fer tamarra, Jesse?"

"Same as taday, only Racetrack’s gonna go see ‘bout gettin’ us a parade license." He answered dragging himself to his feet, "’nd if ya think, lil’ lady, dat ‘m gonna let ya near ‘ny strike business dat’s more dangerous den makin’ signs, yer loony." I chuckled as we walked down the dark street.

"Mr. Jesse, if ya think I’m gonna let ya give me permission ta do things, yer mad."

 

Once we reached our building and Dormouse had let us in, I realized that there seemed to be a buzz here, a life that had never been here before. The noise grew louder as we walked down the hall, inside the first workroom seemed to be every newsie who lived here and a few that I was sure didn’t. They were all scattered across the room with broken boards and cast aside strips of cloth on sticks sitting on the floor in front of them; pieces of charcoal from the fire, stubs of pencils and even some cast aside whitewash clutched in their dirty fingers. Jesse let out a proud bark of laughter,

"Woulja lookit that?" he muttered, for the most part I ignored him, I leaned over a little greasy blond head to see what he was writing.

"Owr kawz is just." I had to stare at it for a few seconds before I realized what he’d meant. I tapped him on the shoulder; he looked up at me with a slightly scared face that was glowing with pride,

"Do ya mean our cause is just?" I asked him gently, he nodded brightly and looked back down at his handiwork. I knelt down beside him and took the whitewashed rag he held, "would ya like me ta help ya make it look just right?" I asked. He nodded but when I reached forward to fix it, he caught hold of my wrist and stared at me with wide frightened eyes. I sighed a little, then stood up, brushing off the knees of my pants with one hand.

I walked over to the nearest wall, trying to ignore the stares from almost every occupant of the room. I reached up to about eye level and wrote with the little scrap of whitewashed rag, our cause is just. Then I turned to look at my little scholar, but he wasn’t alone. There were about a dozen little waifs standing behind me, one was holding a little bowl filled with more of the whitewash.

"You can show us how to write more?" asked one of the little boys with a little bowler hat perched on top of his head.

"Umm, what else do you need me to write?" I wasn’t a journalist, but Satin had insisted that I learn how to read and write at least a little.

"Don’t buy da World!" cried one,

"Or da Journal." Added another.

"We will fight for our rights." Jesse added. I sighed and started writing each slogan, one beneath the other, the little boy with the whitewash standing right beside me with the watery mixture and waiting for me to need it. Jesse was sitting on the floor with a couple of the younger kids, helping them fix their mistakes.

"I didn’t know ya could write." He told me, I laughed a little,

"I can read too if ya can believe it. How bout ya?" he shrugged,

"Enough ta know what day expect me ta sell everyday." He said quickly,

"Ya can’t really read at all can ya?" I asked, with a small smile. He shook his head and grinned,

"Ain’t really stopped me yet doe, huh?" I sighed, he’s just impossible. I told him so and he just gave me another of those grins that I always have to resist the urge to slap off him whenever I see it.

After a while of sign re-making, I noticed Blink standing off to the side, watching me. I smiled at the maybe ten-year-old that I was helping, then stood up and walked over to Kid Blink.

"’d ya want, shrimp?" I asked him, he looked up at me with one eye, his blind, white eye made me uneasy. I focused right on his other eye while repressing a shudder.

"I want ya, goil." I narrowed my gaze,

"Fer what?"

"Ta go wit Racetrack tamarra. ‘e’s off ta talk ta the Chief of da Bulls, ‘nd I tink he needs someone wit a brain ta go wit ‘im. ‘nd unfortunately I tink dat dat’s ya."

"Tanks fer dat compliment, Kid. Doubt I coulda gotten a nicer one outta ya witta corkscrew." He grinned, it was an older smile, I kept forgetting that Blink wasn't even eight.

"I don’t like ya, Velvet, it ain’t no secret. I ain’t gonna pretend different just… cause yer a goil." Just cause yer sleepin’ wit Whips. I knew that it was what he wanted to say, but he hadn’t.

"’s a good thin’ dat da feelin’s mutual, Kid, cause words like dat might hurt my delicate, feminine feelin’s." I sniffed pathetically between the last few words. Blink laughed, and it threw me, it was still hard to realize that this little hell-raiser was so young.

"So ya gonna do it? Ya’ll be dare ta make sure dat Race don’t screw dis up?"

"Yeah ‘ll do it. But, fer now, ‘m goin’ ta bed. Unless of course ya wanna have yer boys beat me bloody again."

"Naw, a feller don’t soak a lady, even if ya don’t look er act like a lady." With that he left, personally my jaw was on the floor. Did that little boy just tell me that I didn’t look like a lady?

I knew I didn’t’ really act like it, maybe you had to look to see the girl under the dirt and trousers, but I would have never thought that I didn’t look like a female. I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hands; I was looking too much into this little brat’s comment. I hadn’t been lying though; I was tired; I waved at Jesse and dragged myself up the stairs to the empty workroom. I curled up under the window, the light rag blanket covering me completely. I was barely through my latest yawn when I fell asleep.

Jesse and I disappeared



© 2008 DowntoEarthDreamer


Author's Note

DowntoEarthDreamer
what does everyone think of Blink? am i doin a good job wit it?
By the way, Kid Blink and Race Track are, or rather were, real people as far as history is concerned. there will be more real people and i'll let you know who. but i never met these people, so i'm only guessing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Mr. Jesse, if ya think I'm gonna let ya give me permission ta do things, yer mad." A classic coment that tells so much about Vel's charecter. I love it.

Anyways, Blink is a charecter i fnd mysef unable to relate tobut this is good. you have me somehwere between liking this kid and hating him. Im in limbo between the two and i think this is where i like to be. commend him for his efforts and morals, not to mention his leadership skills athis young age. He is an amzing charecter. A great addition to your tale. I do not like his treatmnt of Vel and i thin he could be a little nicer to him though also. Id like to see them gtting along fine somwhre in your stor and can imagine themsoing s after a litle more dssconsent among them. Amazing Dream as always!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 8, 2008
Last Updated on April 10, 2008


Author

DowntoEarthDreamer
DowntoEarthDreamer

Stafford Springs, CT



About
I'm really shy about letting people read my things, but I've loved writing and imagining since I was very little. So..in an effort to see if I actually have something that vaugly resembles talent er .. more..

Writing
 1 1

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer


2 2

A Chapter by DowntoEarthDreamer