Time Works in Mysterious Ways

Time Works in Mysterious Ways

A Story by Kathryn Elizabeth
"

Time works in mysterious ways. In moments of happiness, its as if time is sped-up. In moments of sorrow, its as if time moves in slow-motion. This way of thinking is put to use in the story of Renee.

"

Time always seemed to take control of Renee's life, despite her various attempts against this. It would force its way into the fragile moments of her life that futilely attempted to hide.

 

Happy memories were few and far in her life, yet when they happened, it was gone in an instant. It was as if time would fast forward through these happy times before she had time to cherish or even appreciate them.

 

Then, there were times that she would much rather race through, as if she were competing in a marathon and the prize was a million dollars. However, cruel as time was, these moments seemed to drag on as if they would never end.

 

Perfect example; when her mother would hurt her.

 

Renee had been caught up in chores most of the day. After she thought she was through, she realized that she had one thing left to complete; walk the dog. Unfortunately, before she could do anything about that, her mother came storming into her room, glassy eyes filled with unnecissary rage. It was five oclock in the afternoon, and already, she was drunk. In her drunken state, her mother yelled, "Why didn't you walk the dog? I told you to walk the dog! I don't ask much of you, why can't you follow direction you stupid child!" She struck her across the face.

 

Renee braced herself for pain, and retreated into her invisible shell. But she could still feel the pain. Not just the physical pain, but emotional pain as well.

 

Her mother had not always been this way. She used to be a sweet, caring person who loved her children and life as well. But when Renee's father left, she fell apart. She worked two full-time jobs, and when she would come home, the first thing she would do as soon as she stepped inside the door was head for the alcohol. She had been that way ever since.

 

After her mother stormed out, Renee was left on the floor, shaking and sobbing quietly. Expected to complete her chores, she ignored the pain and slowly stood up, walking towards the door with leash in hand and dog in tow. She wanted to walk out that door and never look back. Today, she was seriously considering it.

 

Hoping for a bit of comfort, she called her best friend, Cyrus, who lived not too far away. Seconds after answering the phone, hearing the distress in her voice, he gently ordered her to stay where she was and that he would be there soon. She could always rely on him. Being friends since early childhood, he knew the pain and suffering she went through, but had never told anyone to respect Renee's wishes. Instead, he would stay with her as long as she needed, comforting her the best he could.

 

She slumped to the ground under the shade of a tall willow tree. Her dog Bailey walked over to her and laid beside her, muzzle resting on her thigh and eyes filled with apology. Bailey had tried protecting her from her mother once, but after having a wine bottle smashed over his head, he could do nothing but cower and hide in fear. She understood, and loved the dog just the same. Looking at her arms, she sighed as bruises began to appear on her fragile skin.

 

Bailey perked his ears at the sound of rushed footsteps approaching; it was Cyrus. He ran to her and embraced her in a gentle hug. Sitting next to her, the wrapped his arms reassuringly around her and listened as she retold the situation. Tears began to roll gently down her face after she was finished.

 

He took her chin in his hand and tilted her head so she was staring straight into his eyes. He gave her a gentle smile and she managed to return a soft smile. No matter the situation, she instantly felt better after seeing him smile. His was like no other, as if when you saw it you couldn't help but have your spirits uplifted. Then, he did something completely unexpected.

 

He softly kissed her tears away, then moved towards her quivering mouth, which had returned to a mild frown. He kissed her softly. Surprised, she began to move away from him, but quickly stopped herself and returned the kiss. Emotions began to well up inside of her as she realized that the boy who had always been there for her, was the boy she loved. Gently wrapping his arms around her, he whispered in her ear, "I told my mother what happened-" She pulled back and looked at him, stunned. He continued, "Its okay. She knows that you don't want your mother going to prison. She wants you to come stay with us. So, run away with me my love, and I will protect you from pain, and love you with all my heart."

 

As they walked into the distance that day, hand-in-hand, she realized that for once, time seemed to be moving in slow-motion. In this moment of pure happiness, it seemed as if it would last forever. It seemed as if time was finally on her side.

© 2011 Kathryn Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. I got chills reading this.
I like the end very much. Even in utter darkness, there's light somewhere.
The storyline reminded me of the book "A Child Called 'It," which you should find and read immediately if you haven't yet. (it's a shorter book, I read it willingly in middle school).
Anyway I liked this a lot and I want to read whatever else have to you write. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You caught my attention quickly and the ending was brilliant. I loved it.


Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I got chills reading this.
I like the end very much. Even in utter darkness, there's light somewhere.
The storyline reminded me of the book "A Child Called 'It," which you should find and read immediately if you haven't yet. (it's a shorter book, I read it willingly in middle school).
Anyway I liked this a lot and I want to read whatever else have to you write. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011

Author

Kathryn Elizabeth
Kathryn Elizabeth

GA



About
Hello there. My pen name is Kathryn, as I'm not a fan of just sharing my actual name with the world. Anyhow, here are some things about me: I love the hipster culture. Writing poems, fantasy, an.. more..

Writing