A Mother's Passing

A Mother's Passing

A Poem by Gee
"

Simple words on the passing and mourning process of a mother. 4th anniversary, on 9th April, of mum toodling off to get some well deserved pain free peace.

"
Wash every face with mournful tears
let solemn silence fill all ears,
have time stand still to mark the day
a mother died, passed away.

Draw a veil across the sun
inform the birds no song be sung,
bow down all heads in silent prayer
for she is gone, no longer there.

Let choirs of angels sing their love
and carry high her soul above,
then cherubs tend and for her care
until the time to join her there.

Dry every face of mournful tears
may celebration fill all ears,
remove the world from mute and pause
each broken heart beat out applause.

Unveil the sun tell all birds sing
rejoice in what all mothers bring,
a love unbounded, true and deep
eternally in each heart to keep.

© 2023 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
This was read at my own mother's funeral

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"let solemn silence fill all ears, .." - class image here - absolute nothingness filling the voids - very apt for this write.

i like the way the whole write swings around this fulcrum
"Let choirs of angels sing their love,
and carry high her soul above,
then cherubs tend and for her care,
until the time to join her there. " - as a fulcrum its quite stunning and clever word arranging too.

The fourth stanza reminded me of the New Orleans style funerals with the jazz bands accompanying - a fine celebratory verse - of a life well lived.
The end stanza brings us back to serene poignancy and allows the reader to carry on but with a new memory in our hearts forever.
Its a very well penned memorial Gee. Really... sound as...
:))


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

9 Years Ago

Thanks Anto,nice to get your seal of approval,B...............



Reviews

great poem, i specially like the elements you've rounded up: the sun, the birds, choirs, and cherubs. It's sad, yet beautiful. i think the length is appropriate too; no chance for the reader to wander away!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much
I'm not being funny but I can see this being a perfect eulogy read out at the funerals of Mother's everywhere, I think it is such a beautiful write that it should be used as such, the rhyme and flow of it are a delight and its great that you have shared it here, thank you :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

Blimey,that is high praise indeed.You're very kind Richard.Thank you
Reminds me of Ecclesiastes - to everything a season. You have captured grieving the loss of a mother so well as we must take time to mourn that loss but also time to rejoice in a life lived. My mother passed at a young age years ago and this piece has caused me to reflect on that this morning in a good way. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much,I'm happy this has revived happy times.Take care,thanks for reading.
A going-through of mourning phases--typical and necessary.
The difference, here, being that these stages are poetically--indeed, exquisitely--portrayed.
Truly impressive work, Gee; gratifying to read.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much,it's humbling to receive such kind words.
This is so beautiful. I have buried both mother and father. Their presence is always with me as they are the ones that made me what I am. My mom was the original Valentine.. Kathie.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

My mother is still living but the old fella is long gone.Thank you for your kind comments
The progression from the time of mourning to the rejoicing of a love that will forever live on in memory is beautifully choreographed.

I agree totally with Anto, this is heartfelt and so, so well written.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gee

9 Years Ago

Thanks Beccy,for both reading and your very kind comments
"let solemn silence fill all ears, .." - class image here - absolute nothingness filling the voids - very apt for this write.

i like the way the whole write swings around this fulcrum
"Let choirs of angels sing their love,
and carry high her soul above,
then cherubs tend and for her care,
until the time to join her there. " - as a fulcrum its quite stunning and clever word arranging too.

The fourth stanza reminded me of the New Orleans style funerals with the jazz bands accompanying - a fine celebratory verse - of a life well lived.
The end stanza brings us back to serene poignancy and allows the reader to carry on but with a new memory in our hearts forever.
Its a very well penned memorial Gee. Really... sound as...
:))


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

9 Years Ago

Thanks Anto,nice to get your seal of approval,B...............

10
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5812 Views
97 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 2, 2015
Last Updated on April 10, 2023
Tags: Love, death, mother, angels, cherubs

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren