The Preacher Man

The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee
"

Trying to convert the sceptical youth.

"
The preacher man sat him down
fixed him with a stare,
removed his hat, cleared his throat,
plucked a bible from thin air.
Slid a chair with screeching legs,
sat down face to face,
opened up what he believed
to a carefully chosen place.

He read aloud the faded text,
powerful his voice,
hallelujahed, praised the Lord
at moments of his choice.
A tale he told of suffering,
forgiveness, and of love,
a son sent down as sacrifice
by his father up above.

"Amen", uttered the preacher man,
raised his bowed down head,
closed the book without a sound
then to the boy he said.....
"2000 years and still he lives
a faith born from his death,
only the good seen in mankind,
right to his final breath."

"He gave his life that we may live,
opened a righteous way,
paved it with the love of God
and we walk it to this day.
And on this path I'll lead you son,
pray, let me take your hand,
I'll guide you to a better life
into the promised land."

The boy he stared, thought awhile,
then to the preacher said...
"What proof have you apart from tales
of a man for so long dead.
And if you believe in stories old,"
he took the briefest pause,
"Do you believe in tooth fairies,
Easter bunnies and Santa Claus....."






© 2020 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Well.........

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Personally, I think every faith is fine, since there is no proof for the existence of gods. It's called faith for a reason after all.
The problem is that people fight with each other about religion. Religions are and should be considered equal, because they are. There's no fair reason to fight because 'they have to be punished by dishonoring our God', God does not want war, God does not want people to fight.
Anyway, nice read, great poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Cheers Mister T,appreciate your words
terrific Gee I could not stop thinking of the song Convoy when I read this lol in the way it was worded.!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Cheers Andrew
Ouch! You stepped into a minefield, Gee. Personally, I do believe in God. Well, what I call God. You can call it Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, whatever. It really doesn't matter.

If God is omnipotent, then He knows what's in our hearts. That's all that matters. I don't think He requires us to go around praising Him all the time. I don't think he has an inferiority complex.

And as for all these “holier than thou” types, you can fool people, you can fool yourself, but you certainly can't fool God.

Live long and prosper, Grasshopper.

Oh, by the way, I liked the poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for interesting comments and reviewing Robert
Great one, Gee, it was nicely twisted. Ive read a bit of the first chapter of the bible, the story of the creation of the world. Its interesting, but obviously wrong. There was light, then there were plants, then there was a sun.... There are various versions of the book. Maybe one makes sense.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

I shouldered one day get round to reading the bible myself.Cheers Matt
Superb Gee. I have found it best not to question anyone's faith, because it is called that for a reason. Even people with what to us are bizarre faiths, have the same belief they are right. Superbly told, with just a hint of a mischievous grin about it :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you..
Ha! Ha! I love it! Do you believe, that is the question, whether heaven an hell is a man made myth or a deity's reality. I am with the boy, I will take Saint Nicks principles to heart for we know he really existed. After all, what he preached is not that far from what the bible does. Standing Ovation Gee! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Why thank you,I too am the boy,a dyed in the wool sceptic.A great review,thanks
Well, I believe in God and always will. I would rather live a life believing in Him and that I am going to Heaven than to not believe in Him and spend eternity in Hell. Of course, I want everyone to go to Heaven with me but I will not force my beliefs on others. I believe that is between that person and God. Say what you will but I can't and won't change my mind. This is very well written though.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you.I guess I'm hoping there is some sort of limbo between heaven and he'll,perhaps a lost sou.. read more
Gee

8 Years Ago

Oops,hell,excuse my language !!
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

No, there is no limbo. If you have accepted Jesus you will go to Heaven. If not, you will be in He.. read more
Well a, in my opinion... (again, its only my opining, so don't be offended, cuz these are only the thoughts of a stupid atheist anyway)

For god to exist... Well, argue all you want, there is no proof for that. The millions of religions keep defying each other, creating total chaos, leaving no reason to follow any of em. Now, i believe that if there was a god, and it was lookin down at us, right at this very moment, seeing what destruction those holy words have done to the world, the words it supposedly gave us, to give some sense, some meaning, some motivation for our lives, are twisted in every possible way, to support the claims of people. So, if a god would look down at the stupidity of humanity, then i think it would give a single, simple religion... Treat others as you want to be treated by them. That is the only religion that can not be twisted in ways, like the religions people follow these days. Those words can't be understood as a message or callin to kill. Those words can't be used to support some nonsense, that people make up. And if there was god, i think god wouldn't let the innocent, and weak to suffer, like they do every single day. If there was a caring god, it would not let people do all the evil, cruel things they do these days. And if there was a caring, loving, merciful god, then it wouldn't threaten you with a one way ticket to Hell, but instead it would do everything it can to help you through those hard times, to help you change your sinful ways. But there is no god, never was, never will be. Again, it's only what i think. As for the write, very well written. It was interesting all the way from begining to the end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

I just covered greed too in that comment. But yeah, it makes a lot of people go nuts.
.

8 Years Ago

A great poem, gee. Well Done. I tend to agree with the little boy though. Great work.
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

l o l
Hard to believe in something that we can't see.
Well done Gee!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Miss P,I could well be that boy.
Cherry Pepperweb

8 Years Ago

Would not surprise me. :)
I Loved it.... You did a spectacular job....

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you,appreciate your omments

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3561 Views
72 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 24, 2015
Last Updated on May 23, 2020
Tags: Preacher, Jesus, God, faith, scepticism, Easter bunny, tooth fairy, Santa Claus

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..