The Pallbearer

The Pallbearer

A Poem by Gee
"

Carrying heartbreak

"
At first I'd ask, want to know everything,
age, sex, how they died,
not now though.
Now I just do as I'm bid, what I'm paid for,
carry, place, respectfully nod, then leave.
I find it's easier that way,
don't take them home with me
to think about them, their lives
and the sadness they've left behind.
That is unless it's a wee one.
It's different then.
The small, pristine white wooden shrouds
adorned with soft toys, flowers, tears,
they always come home, are adopted for life,
making for fitful sleep, tossing, turning,
and solemn, sober reflection in the small hours.
The wife tells me I care too much, am too soft,
that despite my size I am more mother hen than pallbearer.
I guess she's right, she usually is.
I smile at this thought and try to switch off.











© 2019 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Just for the record I am not a pallbearer, just imagining the emotions they must go through or try to block out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Adapting to such an environment is not easy initially, as I learned when I became a Medical Photographer" and faced with post mortem investigations.
Switching off, " is not being callous, but is essential if you are not going to become a "casualty" yourself. Respect does not have to suffer, though.
Your poem expresses this beautifully.
Norman

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Thank you Norman



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
X
Oh Gee Whiz what a whopper of a poem from a place rarely viewed. It takes a special person to carry the weight and pain of others and only a heart the size of the universe can nestle the small ones inside. Lucky is the wife of such a tender loving man :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Good morning Kira. Not a job I would be able to do as If be a blubbering wreck :)
Thank you f.. read more
X

3 Years Ago

Good morning Gee...hope you have a blessed beautiful day🌞🌻🎶
An interesting delve into the psyche of those who literally carry the weight as this first person account expresses the mechanisms used when dealing with death but that even so such people are not immune. A sensitive and nicely penned voice.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thanks John.
Hope you are all well.
Gee

3 Years Ago

Thanks John.
Hope you are all well.
Not easy, never is.. the loss of any life is pain with a capital P... the loss of a child or the thought of his-her absence is hell wrapped in a soft gossamer blanket.

Beautiful sadness, Gee.. memorable and more. Empathy is your middle name, sir.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Just a big old softy:)
I find it much easier to deal with loss/grief when it is my own, watch.. read more
Gee

3 Years Ago

Oops, thank you
Gee, what got you thinking about this one? Cheers

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

God only knows Maxwell. Perhaps a foreboding to my old mum dying in April !
Cheers
Maxwell Ryder

4 Years Ago

Sorry to hear it. Maxwell
Gee you've done it again. You reeled me in with your pen.
I was a pallbearer but in North America it's not a job it's and honor and a privilege.
I loved the scheme of this verse all the same.
Thanks my friend.


Wes

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Cheers Wesley and good on ya for pallbearing
Well you had me convinced Gee. That you actually are.
I love your gift for being able to step into someone else's shoes.
You're high on the empathy scale i reckon.
Well written poem.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Oops, how rude. Thank you
Ana Papaya

5 Years Ago

plus you have good manners
Gee

5 Years Ago

My old mums teaching and a hankering for common decency make for a semi mannerable old fella :))
'It's different then.' Those three words cut deep, show us the depth of your poem, the depth of silent grief that such an occupation walks shoulder to shoulder with.

I had never thought about it in such a way before reading this; it has changed my perspective.

Beccy.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Hi Beccy, not a job I could do as I'm far to soft.
Hope is all well with you both.
Tha.. read more
Gee,
Your poetry hits real life. I'm assuming in the UK being a pallbearer is a job?
This topic seems to be on your mind lately. Reading a book by Julian Barnes about his dealing with the subject of death as an agnostic. Interesting read. And so is yours.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Thanks Tom...
Adapting to such an environment is not easy initially, as I learned when I became a Medical Photographer" and faced with post mortem investigations.
Switching off, " is not being callous, but is essential if you are not going to become a "casualty" yourself. Respect does not have to suffer, though.
Your poem expresses this beautifully.
Norman

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Thank you Norman
Firstly let me say thank Ok I for your review of my poem 'My Lovers Lie'. I really hope it helps your friend who is going through a bitter divorce to understand that some men are just self interested dishonest prick. By the way, if you couldn't tell, the 'fearful lie' is I Love You.

Second let me congratulate you on the empathy your displayed in this poem, putting yourself in the shoes of a working class worker with such a solenm job.

O really enjoyed the vaulta (shift in tone in a poem) half way through the text when the child or babies funeral is considered. The line 'I am more mother than pallbearear' eschews traditional gender roles, and speaks to a sensitive man who connot leave the tragedy of his job that day at work.

Really well done.


Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing Roxy
RoxyMonoxide

5 Years Ago

You're welcome. I really enjoyed the empathy you displayed. Keep up the good work.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

930 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 11, 2019
Last Updated on January 14, 2019
Tags: Death, feelings, tears

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..