As good a day as any for a funeral

As good a day as any for a funeral

A Poem by Gee
"

Nothing else planned

"
99 times out of 100 I would have declined point blank,
as nothing worse in my book than being a "make weight,"
an afterthought, an arse to fill a seat
so that the deceased's "popularity" would not be compromised
and folk wouldnt, behind cupped hands in whispered tones,
glory in the poor turn out.
Today however was different, post Christmas blues different.
The festive "come down" coupled with "nothing planned"
leading me to gladly, "of course I'll come," accept,
this though to the detriment of any, all, feelings of self worth.
But when weighed up against another night in alone, the choice made itself,
as there would be little thought of anything once Johnny and Jack took hold.
I smiled at myself in the mirror.
Perfectly attired to mourn, to console, to parrrrrrrrrrrteeeeeeeeee.




















© 2019 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Seems funerals aren't what they used to be: a time to mourn, to shake hands, then, sit talking over the past with a cuppa or - alternatively, drink til songs come out of the ears! Either way, mourning can lose all meaning the next day.

Nowadays, the wherever needs the heat of bodies to dry whatever tears are falling.. and if there is - as you suggest, a need to put btms on pews/chairs, it helps those left behind. Maybe we ought to decide what we'd like.. a good send off or a sad one, choice is personal. As you say, '.. Perfectly attired to mourn, to console, to parrrrrrteeeeeee. '

You write with a strange, sometimes wonderful mind at times, Gee.. but you get there in the end in your own way! We don't hold the reins on the ride through Life, and have even weaker a hand in Death. Best do what you did.. join in whatever way you feel is right.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

I sometimes wonder, when reading back, where the ideas come from and how they manage to get from he.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

I wonder too, Gee, because Life can be a swine at times. Of course, to each his or her own when cop.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Hmmmm. Seems that attitude pervades quite a lot nowadays. Where once a funeral was a time to mourn and remember generously, more often than not they have become annual family reunions, catch ups with the distant relatives and an excuse to enjoy the free booze. Personally i find that sadder than the death that has brought the gathering together. We humans can be very selfish at times.

This one hits the mark for realism, Gee. I am sure there are many who have attended a funeral just because there was nothing else to do. It's a modern phenomenon.

Nicely written.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Cheers Doodley. The league and champions league will do nicely.
i try now to think of wakes, funeral services etc. as a celebration of life, rather than a mourning of death.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Gee

5 Years Ago

Happy New year Jacob, hope you are well.
Thank you
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
This was aces! Loved the harsh sarcasm on a 'taboo' subject. Nothings taboo with me! The last word reminds me of my family funerals, which is why I put this line in my book.
“Because we’ve seen the hard side of life ma’am. The kind of life that can kick the s**t out of people, so we celebrate the fact they got through it as long as they did. Celebrate in hopes that they finally find true freedom.”

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Aye life can be brutal, unforgiving, heartbreak but luckily for the majority of us the good far outw.. read more
BBP

5 Years Ago

Always a pleasure friend!
is nothing sacred Mr. Gee??? ;) this so reminds me of an Irish funeral and after party ..tho I have to say those are without the "make weight" syndrome ... any and all are welcome and any and all attend ... as the soul of the departed is cheered on and those cheering spirited away :))))))))))
""May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us,
may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles,
so we'll know them by their limping."
Amen
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Gee

5 Years Ago

Every time I see somebody limping now I'll be thinking God has had a pop at them.
Sometimes w.. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

feeling pretty perky this morning Gee ... top o' the mahrnin' to ya sir!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

549 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 19, 2019
Tags: Funeral, death

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..