Popularity before honesty.

Popularity before honesty.

A Poem by Gee
"

Just thoughts

"
I know before the first word read I'll not understand,
yet still I persist, reading then reading again.
Still none the wiser my next port of call the reviews,
where there, hopefully, some light shed.
Twelve of the two hundred and eight who have visited
have seen, and understood enough in his words to comment.
Eleven of these have the same, or similar train of thought as the "pen"
all commenting, two gushingly, on the meaning,
his wonderful use of metaphors, and how relatable his piece.
The twelfth however is like a detective trying to solve the perfect crime, clueless,
but rather than asking the author as to the meaning,
or not commenting at all,
they too have trawled through the reviews,
but their reason for doing so is not to understand.
No, it is to cherry pick words, phrases,
these then cobbled together and posted as "their" review,
this ended with the obligatory love and hugs,
no doubt in the vain hope that the recipient will return the compliment.
Nothing more pleasing to an ill educated soul, I'd imagine,
than having an academic comment on their poorly written fayre,
especially when these comments contain no critique,
but instead only vague chit chat on the subject matter
and how it relates to an incident in their own, long ago life.
To this end the reviewer deserves a slapped arse,
a pants down, bare cheeked slap,
even better if this done with an old fashioned wooden ruler,
and hard enough so the numbers imprinted into the skin.
What chance of improvement if honesty coming second to fear of upsetting ??
None.









© 2019 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Haha this got a giggle out of me for sure. I'm guilty of so many of these. When I was still new on the site, I used to give more (what's the word?) "harsh" reviews, but after a while, like so many other writers on here, I too sobered up. There are some really horrible writers around here, who seem to be blissfully unaware of the fact. I don't think a harsh review would wake them up to the reality, on the contrary if it were to have an impact at all, it would simply make them either immune to any constructive criticism if it comes their way, or would make them lose interest in writing altogether. Although, I feel that the true betterment of an artist can only come from taking criticism in a stride, I too have fallen victim to the endless cycle of giving and receiving praise over here.
I think the most relatable part was that I too notice how many people chew up the words of others, and spew their vomitus in the review. I, for one, am guilty of doing that....although even that is better than the ones who review back with an ambiguous "good writing", or something of that kind when you've spent a good amount of time on their poetry.

I ramble on too much, forgive me, lol been away from the site for quite a while, and i couldn't stop myself from rambling.

So yes, i vacillate between reviewing kindly, and reviewing well on WC, but at the end of the day, i know from my 4-5 years experience on here, that this is the best writing site out there, and i desperately miss being as active as i once was on here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Nowt wrong with rambling m'dear, especially if you are out on a sunny day in pleasant countryside. S.. read more



Reviews

Gee, Gee. This is brilliant. Critiques should be used to help writers improve, that much is true. There are many here who could benefit from an honest tip or two. I find two schools of thought here. There are those poets who obviously have their own 'style' of writing and except for the odd typo require no assistance and it would be arrogant to assume we could help.
And there are those who have not found their voice and could use mentoring. I find a lot of these have English as a second language, so theirs are more misunderstandings of the use of grammar or spelling...but then, I do not know their language...idioms...or customs. I admire the fact that they are posting to a place out of their comfort zone.
Most I have found appreciate a gentle nudge with something that will help them improve.
I think the writers on this site have an appreciation for words...and would like to use them to the best of their abilities.
There are an amazing group of writers here, with much to say no matter how simple their poems may be. In fact, sometimes less is more, and it is in the eyes of the reader to determine what is being said.
As for that slap on the arse, I have had more than one in my time...can't say I liked them all that much
but I earned everyone.

Good job my friend. Keep it up. Sorry though, no loves and hugs.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Hey, where are my hugs Ted :(((
I too have had a few slaps, am blocked and have suffered the .. read more
I do hope this leads to more discussion. I to have noticed glowing reviews for things I don't understand. I myself may have done it too but if you saw some of my reviews and the blocking I got afterward you'd see why I tried to revise my reviewing style. So...yeah, I hope this gets lots of attention...lots.!

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Hi Relic, I think we are all blocked by somebody or other on here, it's the nature of the beast. Fol.. read more
This is why I try to write simple poems that are not too confusing. Reviewing can be just as hard as coming up with a poem or story. I've written about this subject before. You have put it into a nice perspective. (especially the last lines). haha

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

you know, you have said a good mouthful here
I am not really comfortable reviewing, it is more a return the favor thing.
critical reviews are a difficult endeavor.
How many different opinions can be relevant?
I think the telling aspect on this site is the number of readers a poet attracts, either with or without reviews.
I personally don't attract a large crowd so that alone tells me I am at best an average or less than so, poet.
Perhaps it would be better to have no reviews at all??
This was a meaningful subject to 'review', probably way overdue

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Relic

5 Years Ago

Forgive me for intruding on someone else's review, but I must say to John...you are far from average.. read more
Gee

5 Years Ago

Ahem........
john l smith

5 Years Ago

er, um, I guess you should be forgiven, so you R
Thanks 4 that pleasantry
Thanks for posting this, Gee. It sums my experience up this site.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Tis a strange place at times Gerald :)
Haha this got a giggle out of me for sure. I'm guilty of so many of these. When I was still new on the site, I used to give more (what's the word?) "harsh" reviews, but after a while, like so many other writers on here, I too sobered up. There are some really horrible writers around here, who seem to be blissfully unaware of the fact. I don't think a harsh review would wake them up to the reality, on the contrary if it were to have an impact at all, it would simply make them either immune to any constructive criticism if it comes their way, or would make them lose interest in writing altogether. Although, I feel that the true betterment of an artist can only come from taking criticism in a stride, I too have fallen victim to the endless cycle of giving and receiving praise over here.
I think the most relatable part was that I too notice how many people chew up the words of others, and spew their vomitus in the review. I, for one, am guilty of doing that....although even that is better than the ones who review back with an ambiguous "good writing", or something of that kind when you've spent a good amount of time on their poetry.

I ramble on too much, forgive me, lol been away from the site for quite a while, and i couldn't stop myself from rambling.

So yes, i vacillate between reviewing kindly, and reviewing well on WC, but at the end of the day, i know from my 4-5 years experience on here, that this is the best writing site out there, and i desperately miss being as active as i once was on here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

Nowt wrong with rambling m'dear, especially if you are out on a sunny day in pleasant countryside. S.. read more
Hi. :)
Brave write maybe?
As many may recognize themselves...

You do after a while get a feel for who is genuine and who is not.

Honesty is important. Brutal honesty is self serving.

I correct privately when I do. People are sensitive and while they ask for honestly often get offended.

Makes for a difficult mine field to navigate at times.

BTW, you forgot the shameless self promoter and trillion time read requester and comment hijacker. Which is allowed if you know the people well enough but annoying when they make jokes and treat serious poems like a social party setting. :)

You may have opened up a can of worms Gee!

As always, enjoy the thought provoking writes you provide!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

We like worms, especially the canned variety :)) I thought the whole idea of a writing site would be.. read more
Hey, Gee! :)
The reviews posted here are too damn long so I'll write mine before reading them. As a poem, I don't know, it's not like the others I've read of yours, but I your statement lovely, omg brilliant! Keep writing, the last line really got me, such beautiful word choices. please see me. Tell me that I'm special like you must be. I love you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Or are you taking the piss :)))
mattavelli

5 Years Ago

Ya haha
I figured I'd stick my nose in it.
mattavelli

5 Years Ago

Who is David?
True and honest words Gee, and guilty in so many ways I am.
On the few times I have critiqued, it went down like a lead balloon filled with anthrax.
I am honest enough to knoe that I don't know enough about writing, not even my own, to mention what someone else is doing wrong (unless its posting 25 times a day, every thought that dribbles through their minds. Im good at mentioning that)
I was the same 25 years ago when I first picked up a pen, and after trying to set fire yo it, used it to write my first piece, much to my astonishmrnt.
Fast forward 25 years and im just as perplexed as to what poetry is. I just know some make pretty word patterns and others don't.
So then theres the ones at the other end of the spectrum (in more ways than one), who despite being average writers at best, tear apart everything, while massaging their unwarranted ego, with lotion and kleenex.
In the middle, there are a lot of great writers and people, who can encourage without tearing, and ones who dont copy anf paste their replies. These people are known as the good guys and they are yhe ones that are heard.
Now, before you ask where I fit...or worse, tell me...

Great write,
Loved it
Lol. :)


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gee

5 Years Ago

You fit very nicely into the down to earth, humorous section ( very few of them) who works a fine pe.. read more
Gee

5 Years Ago

Works....wields
Lorry

5 Years Ago

Wet and wild here, but all good for the most part thanks.
Even David is extremely nice, only to his friends .... There are some excellent reviewers like Margie and CD Campbell and Eilis. And poets like Neville, when in doubt send you a message asking for clarifications.... WC is a lot like Facebook, without political and personal drama. I too read reviews to have an idea ( when I can't make head or tails about the writing). Some reviews ( especially by Lorry) are absolutely brilliant. Some show that the reader didn't even make an effort!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Hi Mrudula, thanks for commenting.
Hope you are all well :))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1115 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on February 19, 2019
Tags: Fraud, writing.

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee