The Last Leaf

The Last Leaf

A Poem by Gee
"

A final breath of wind...

"
That was her, the last leaf, clinging desperately to life
though her colour grey, pallid,
and not the vibrant pastel hues of autumnal death
that are seen as beautiful by those that care to look.
Alas though this not the case for mankind,
with autumn, winter, often merging slowly, painfully, colourlessly,
until with selfish frustration a freeing wind prayed for.

Her wind, her release to pain free peace
came unexpectedly, without fuss or fanfare.
It was not angry or tempestuous,
no, it was barely more than a breeze
that escaped through dry, chapped lips,
shushing the tears of those gathered around
as she slipped silently away into eternal sleep
where hopefully, angels wash and tend to her soul
and all dreams are only of us that truly loved her.

© 2023 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A gentle musing on a passing of a loved one, i believe...what you describe is true; there is a degree of heroic romanticism attached to death; that we all reach our end passing like heroes and in great dignity and splendour when the reality is very different. Even in my young life so far i have witnessed the effects of a passing and it is not very pretty. That you can describe it in a wonderful, yet solemn and beautiful way is a blessing for the reader. A lovely poem, monsieur Gee.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you kindly
An emotional journey, as a reader this piece leads by the hand and makes one shed a tear, well done, good read.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Thomas
Beautiful and heart strained words that show how much you care and miss her, as well as showing the chasm her absence leaves in yours and so many others lives.
And we are merely strangers, but can see how good she was, to cut a soul so deep.


Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Lorry :)
Gee I don’t have the right to remark of this poem so I will just meekly say that it was a beautiful and so very heartfelt expression.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Robert.
The intermingling of nature and death through metaphor is amazing in this. Death comes not with a bang, but in a whisper.

Great poetry here.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thanks Relic :))

Your words reminded me so much of my own mothers passing.. although relatively young and seemingly fit.. my lovely ma was desperate to rejoin her soul mate, my father who passed several years before her.. and so she prepared herself, sorted everything out and left in the early hours .. No doubt about it, this is an incredibly touching post our Gee..

Neville

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thanks Neville
You make passing here sound so peaceful Gee. The slipping away almost unnoticed. That is a much kinder way to go for all concerned. I very much like how you brought the imagery of autumn and winter into your lines. A sad poem to read, but there is calm in your words. Grief is a long journey. Beautiful day today. Take care and keep washing your hands. I never critique, I always respond on how poetry makes me feel. Yours always hits the mark.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Ha ha. I bet there's a few out there who would welcome a bit of isolation. If I'm confined to barrac.. read more
Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm off to the gym with my lips a puckered :))
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

:))....................
This is a brilliant piece written about the passing of someone onto the next adventure for me that would be heaven. Sometimes there is no great farewell it just quietly happens. I’ve worked in health care and skipping away within a deep restful state always seems like the most blessed way to move on. This is done with great care and amazing descriptions. Well done.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you kindly :)

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2020
Last Updated on February 27, 2023
Tags: Love, mum, missing, leaf, autumn.

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee