It rained today

It rained today

A Poem by Gee
"

How deep is your love

"
The rain came today, heavy, persistent,
filling the air with the sweet smell of parched earth.
I took deep breaths, long, slow deep breaths,
my face turned to the heavens, eyes closed,
allowing raindrops to wash over my sun dried skin.
It filled the age chiseled cracks and creases,
ran through salt and pepper stubble
before dripping from a jaw line that refuses to acknowledge the onset of age.
I smiled to myself, thought of mum and
how she always commented on our "good genes"
age defying genes she said, but mums do don't they.
In her mind I was faultless, could do no wrong,
and if I did, well, she never let on verbally
but was unable to disguise the truth in her eyes.

She has been gone 14 months now and not a day passes
where she isn't in my thoughts,
these sometimes bringing smiles, other times tears,
and of late frustration.
Frustration brought on by my inability
to clearly recall her face, her features, smile...
It's as if I'm forgetting her, as if my love wasn't deep seated enough
to carry her with me through the rest of my life,
as her love carried me through mine, and this saddens me greatly,
has tears welling...

It rained today, raindrops washing my tears through salt and pepper stubble.



© 2022 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oddly enough, when my mother died I dreamed of her almost at will. The trouble is, they were always bad dreams. I don't know what that means but I understand this completely.

Good one.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Hi Relic, hope you are well. Thank you
I've read certain verse that remains with me as I get that tingling inside through the raindrops of 'salt and pepper stubble'. The sentiment in this work is amazing; yet, it feels unfinished just as the narrator intended. More is still to come... through the gentle analogies and images... A literary piece that calls me back over and over...


Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

You are so very kind :)) Thank you
Grief can assume many guises, guilt being one of them. I believe your mother would want you to release such feelings quickly.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thanks John :))

It rained here too .. & even as I write, it is peeing down outside.. Just want to let you know I share many of the anxieties and feelings you have detailed in your most beautifully penned poem..

It has now been ten months since my own dear Mum passed, I cant believe it has been almost a whole year .. I like to think that they are both smiling down on us .. but what ever we think, it dont make it any easier does it..

Take care, stay safe and Regards to You, Yours & MK..

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Never any easier but the fact they are at peace and pain free is a blessing.

Thanks N.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


absolutely.

Neville
How beautifully written this is Gee, such a wonderful tribute to you mother and the loving relationship you shared.

As you would expect, us being near neighbours, it rained here today as well. The rain has stopped now, but her love and how you loved her back, plus the wonderful memories you have, will never stop.

Beccy. X

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy :)
Though it rained today, it didn't wash away the most precious memories. Perhaps it's not her face, features, smile or the color of her dress that you will or should remember, but the gift she provided, life and the ability to write and connect with others, those who can't find the words or the strength. Remarkable piece, sir.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Thank you RER
R.E. Ray

3 Years Ago

My pleasure.
They do have a way of saying things (or not), that their eyes disagree with the rest of their face, leaving those indelible pictures of the mind to be looked at later, when our eyes have grown accustomed to their setting.
It is what it is my friend. Not the image that can be captured in a single snapshot, but an emptiness within us that their presence is forever missed.
That is what ompression her life moulded into yours and one we can only hope to achieve in our life.
The catch 22 of a life well lived is that it brings us pain so unintentionally. But it also brings us a pandoras box of love and happiness too.
The strength their life brought makes sure we will bend under their support being taken, but never break.
Beautifully captured Gee. Showing the pain of a good heart made better by the good heart she grew.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Morning Lorry.
Thursday, with LFC clinching the title would have seen her beaming :)
.. read more
dearest Gee... I understand your loss...
once you lose your Mother, you are always an Orphan.
No one will ever love you or know you like your Mother,,,
We are embedded in her Love, and when she is gone,
her Spirit is with us always. Time is not always kind,
but a Mother's love is timeless. tenderly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gee

3 Years Ago

Hi Patricia, a mothers love is indeed timeless. Thank you for your kind words.
Good morning Gee. You need to put a photograph of your mum in a special place. Inside your wallet maybe, so she is close to you wherever you are. The memory does fade when it comes to detail, but when I think of my Dad, it is a feeling I get. That comes through first and then I think about his face. Often I see my Dad in his old gardening trousers, totally relaxed, hands in his pockets, half smile on his face. Now this poem is a bit of a tear jerker and brought a lump to my throat, but your mum is still partying up there for the reds. Much happiness here for him indoors as well. Love the description and emotion in this poem and it is good to find you writing again.


Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Ha ha. All I'm gonna say is there's no peace for the wicked :)
Gee

3 Years Ago

And now I'm hungover :)
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

You are even more wicked. I am not going to put a smiley face here because I know how horrible a ha.. read more

5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

931 Views
49 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 27, 2020
Last Updated on January 21, 2022
Tags: Rain, love, mum

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw