If You Can't Help, Don't Hurt. Episode-3

If You Can't Help, Don't Hurt. Episode-3

A Story by Homason
"

A Nigerian-african tale about the prowess of Amaka, a young school leaver.

"
If You Can't Help, Don't Hurt! Episode-3
By: Homason.

Story:
Amaka began to lose strength as she struggled with the lawyer. She screamed at the top of her voice for help, but the loud sound from nearby generators prevented anyone from hearing. "Jeshsh, Jhshrus, Jesus" Amaka tried to call but her words were interfered by the lawyer's rough palm as he tryed to cover her mouth while they still struggled. He pressed her harder the more, almost to suffocate her. Suddenly, there was a heavy disturbing knock at the door. Out of frustration, he pushed Amaka away in anger; "foolish girl, see how naughty you are, I'm trying to help you and you are behaving like a child" he said while wiping off his sweaty skin and went for the door. Shivering and Sobbing seriously, Amaka wrapped herself in a sitting posture at one corner of the room; "Thank you Lord, thank you God, Thankyou..." she whispered.
At the door, a surprise lashed at the Lawyer's face. It was Amaka's aunty (his wife). She began to explain that the meeting which was to keep her till the next week was postponed indefinitely, although she had started her journey since morning and wanted to surprise them but that the tanker-drivers were protesting again and blocked the routes to Eleme-Junction and Rumuokoro which caused a heavy traffic jam that kept her on the road till now. "Where is Amaka?" She asked as she entered the house. "Oh, that small girl? She should be Fast asleep by now, it was even your knock that woke me up, please let's go in" he quickly replied.
Amaka never disclosed the incident of that night to anyone.
Two weeks after the burial, Amaka resumed school, she had informed her lecturers of her situation and a few of them showed sympathy by readministering their test and examination to her privately. But others demanded more from her like the 'lawyer.' She was given the options to book the hotel where she'll be laid, pay fifty thousand Naira or resit for the exams next year. Because the first two were not options for Amaka, she had to take an extra year to complete all requirements for a bachelor of science degree in Micro Biology (Bsc.Mcb.).
Things really got tougher and tougher.
However, Amaka's name was shortlisted among those for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in 2016.
A major incident during her NYSC was the meeting of her childhood friend, Amanda. Amanda used to live very close to Amaka and they saw themselves as best friends, but Amaka's late mother always restricted and cautioned their association because Amanda spent more time on visitations and was scarcely found at her house. Amaka's mother worried that if a girl of such tender age could have nothing to keep her busy at home then abuse is inevitable in a later age, but Amaka had a contrary view. Anyway, the NYSC only became more interesting at the reunion of the two friends.
After the Clarion Call, Amanda went back to Lagos because she was promised a job there, although she kept contact with Amaka. Amaka stayed longer at the corpers' lodge at Ado-Ekiti where they served, not because she had a job or was enjoying the place, but because she had no home to return to.
Three months later, she returned back to Port Harcourt (PH). It was time to cater for herself no matter how difficult it was going to be. Before this time, her situation defined her life but now she was ready to define her situation. Back to her Home, yet she was not home. She approached her church pastor for shelter but there was no vacancy.
Amaka, being a micro-economist, saved over One Hundred Thousand Naira from her monthly allowances (Alawee) during her NYSC and intends to rent a room for herself. She discussed it with Amanda on phone and Amanda referred her to one of her friends, Nancy, who lives around Choba in PH and she met with her. Nancy was from Imo State and has refused to return home since she graduated from Uniport, she claimed she was working. However, the new folks were now to live as roommates, sharing the cost of their rent and bearing other responsibilies as roomies.
Amaka wrote series of application letters to firms and companies seeking for a job. Every morning she went out to drop her Curriculum Vatae (CV) at new places. She was optimistic about being invited for an interview by, at least, one of the companies, but the silence from all the companies reminded her that 'this is Nigeria.'
Breaking down in tears, almost every night, Amaka wondered if she was ever going to make it in life. Consoled by her roommate, Nancy, she caught some sleep later in the middle of the night.
Sometimes, Nancy left the house very early in the morning, sometimes late at night, sometimes she never returned home throughout the night. She already told Amaka she did a shifting work at Indomie Company.
Amaka spent most times reading books since she was without a job. 'The Big Picture' by Ben Carson, 'Be a People Person' by John Maxwell, 'Why Ask Why' by John L. Mason, 'You Gotta Be Hungry' by Les Brown, 'Messages to Young People' by E.G White (her favourite) and 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' by Robbery T. Kiyusanki were some of her read books. But she had no satisfaction since she was still without a job.
One night, Nancy talked Amaka up from bed. She spoke like she had a solution to Amaka's predicament. Amaka listened to her raptly thinking there was a job opening at Indomie. But to her dismay, it was merely an invitation to accompany her to a friend's birthday party the next night. Amaka disliked such gatherings but Amanda convinced her that it'll make her lively and forget her sorrows rather than being bored at home, and she accepted to attend.
Indeed, it was a party night as Amaka arrived. Everywhere was very dark which made it difficult for her to recognise anyone. She saw spots of red lights increasing and decreasing in a rhythmic mode as some gentlemen blew their pipes and cigarettes. The atmosphere was fumed with booze of different brands. She heard ladies laughing boisterously as they got gratification from the loudly played music and different dance styles. In fact, everything appeared strange. Amaka felt uncomfortable and was about to exit when Nancy called her and ushered her to a sit. As they discussed further, they were interrupted; "Hello! Who is this gorgeous looking queen of tonight?" A man said, staring at Amaka with a glass of st. Remy and robbing his pot belly. "Oh, Chief, she is my friend, Amaka is her name, and she's Verrry good sir" Nancy quickly replied seeking attention. Amaka looked confused but kept a polite look. "I see, such a dazzling 'rite' can't wait for me to bite. Here is my card, you can give me a call tomorrow" the 'chief' said, as he stretched forth the card towards Amaka, but she made no effort to receive it. Quickly, again, Nancy collected it. As the 'chief' stepped away, Nancy drew closer to Amaka "do you know what you want to miss? Do you even know who that man is, a whole chief? Please, learn to be smart my dear, make you no come spoil market for me here, I beg u" she scolded.
That night, Amaka had no peace, Nancy continued ranting "Look at you, I thought you were smart and wise, no, I was very wrong. No wonder your condition big pass Job own. Person wey I say make I help no wan help imself. See the chief that i've been hearing of and praying to meet because he pays very well" she nagged until they got home. After a short while she continued; "i still don't even know what he saw on your body that I dont have self. You don't even deserve my help anymore. E be like u no know say na PH u dey so" she finally said leaving the presence of Amaka, her voice fainting into the air as she went farther. Amaka felt terribly hurt to hear her fellow girl talk to her in such manner. "Is this how you can help me? Is this how they make it in PH? So this is the runs you've always told me about to play?" Amaka said in her mind. By this time tears needed no much pressure to pour, it was as if they waited for the slightest chance to pour. While Amaka laid silently on bed sobbing and wondering why she didn't just stay in, Nancy secretly went out to place a call at the 'chief' in pretence to be Amaka. Unknowingly to her, a better opportunity was locating Amaka. Amaka received a text message inviting her for an interview at Indomie Company on Monday. She read the text, cleaned her tearing eyes and read it again. She couldn't believe it, she couldn't hold back the joy. She shouted in full bliss as if she had already been offered the job. Her joyous noise drew the attention of Nancy and she came nearer to know what was all about it.
Question:
1. If you were Amaka would you tell Nancy about the content of the text?
2. Do you think Amaka really made it to the interview or not?
Watch out for episode-4.

© 2018 Homason


Author's Note

Homason
Destiny, they say, might be delayed but never changed. There are some (worse) situations that may have lingered in our life and we think they're beyond our capacity to bear or endure anymore. Just like the case of Amaka, we may think we are cursed or doomed to be stagnant. But remember, renowned motivational speaker and author, Joyce Mayer, said "any day that we don't give up takes us closer to our dreams."
In pain & penury, when giving up & holding on seem to combat eachother; when you feel abandoned wondering in solitude, when your help seems out of sight, whatever your situation may be: will you still hold on?

Food For Thought:
"Notoriety is not a yardstick for success. You don't need to be notoriously recognized before you are successful, just be organized" -Homason.

Special Note:
This story is a fiction. The names, characters and places cited here are purely fictional. Any resemblance is merely a coincidence.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on June 25, 2018
Last Updated on June 25, 2018
Tags: Patience, pain, perseverance, envy, advice, confusion, anguish, hope, friendship, believe.

Author

Homason
Homason

Port Harcourt, Christianity, Nigeria



About
Humble and friendly. Writer and composer. Author of the book "Before You Quit: A Recipe for Success." Likes to play football and table tennis. Upholds the Golden Rule. more..

Writing
Time! Time!

A Story by Homason