Kismet

Kismet

A Story by Honor'd
"

Kismet is fate.

"
I once created something that should not have been. It wasn't supposed to coexist in this world, nor anywhere else but the empty pockets in my head. It was merely intended to be the sole feeling of bad influences, hatred, remorse and terror personified into a demon-like stranger. I created him in my psyche, my mind, and I truly thought he was confined there for good. But my train of thought went haywire when I saw him with my own eyes, lingering across the ledge of my apartment window sill. 

Now, I truly know the power of the mind. Well, some of this said power. I need to figure out what exactly it is capable of doing. I need to know what it is capable of by simply allowing a figment of my imagination to reveal itself and live in the the plane of human existence, and what it is capable of by just knowing that it has allowed me to envision such a beastly thing.

.../...

I slowly combed my hair back, on the morning when I saw the thing. The comb slicked through waves of dark lush hair, settling it down and etching silky dents into it. I stared back at my morose expression. I never considered myself an ugly person. I was just like the rest, whatever that meant. I picked up my shaving stick and slathered my face in smooth shaving cream. The white fluff was easily shaved off by the razors of my blade. It sliced off the growing bristles that adorned my angular jaw and neck. I felt around my face after rising off the shaving cream and looked into the mirror. For some reason, my eyes darted toward the reflection of my window. I saw something whisk past outside my window. I took no heed to it at the moment but once I saw it past by again as I walked out the bathroom, I began to panic. In the back if my mind, I knew it could not be something of this world. It was too quick and cunning, as if it wanted to be spotted. Spotted quick enough to put curiosity into my mind. I ran over to the window, leaned over the ledge and there it was. Sitting in a squatted position, overlooking the view of smog and grey clouds, was a bony creature. Dark grey and disintegrating skin hung loose on thin bones. Then its deep eyes glared at me with a death-like stare. Straight into my soul and guts. I fell back, paralyzed with fear. The creature rounded the small corner and leaped onto my bed with apparent ease.

"Hello," It whispered and propped itself closer to me. I could do nothing but ponder on one thing: I knew what it was. It was the thing I created in my mind! I remember. Not remember exactly, but I recognize it somehow. I had not given it much thought, nor honestly given this creature such an appearance, but I assume that because of all the negative energy I fed this beast, it had come to develop a figure and shape and feel of its own by its own will. The negative energy was so negative, the being was manifested by itself. But... what was the name of this creature I created again?

"Kismet?" I asked, mostly to myself. The monstrous being tilted its head and I might have seen its crooked teeth reveal themselves behind its chapped, thin grey lips. It had responded with no words, yet I knew him name was Kismet. It derives from four different languages and it is basically another word for fate. I believed this creature had the power to conduct my future. I believed that it was so strong, it was capable of crafting my life from now on. My negative energy is the sole thing to keep me alive, knowing that the thing that represents my pain and hatred will aid me to strengthen my belief that these scornful feelings could bring me joy in its purest form. I smiled softly at Kismet and lifted myself off from the ground.

"Yes, Kismet, it is I, your creator," I cackled majestically with pride. "Why have you come?" Kismet peered over its lanky shoulder, as if waiting for an invisible entity to grant it permission to speak from my window. As it looked back to me, I swear to you that I felt depravity itself shoot at me from Kismet's mouth and nose. I could not breathe in that moment and I felt the ground draw me closer. 

"My creator? You are not exactly that, are you?" Kismet said in a dragged slur that seemed virtually impossible to even begin comprehending. My head rested on my carpeted floor and I glared up at my white ceiling.

"Then why the hell are you here?"

"Ah! A question I consider truly formidable!" Kismet grinned mightily. "You only thought of me. I already existed, human. Tough luck."

"Then there must be several others that have thought of you. Why must I be the one to be visited by the likes of you, monster?" I scoffed. I abhorred Kismet already. Hadn't I been the one to name it "Kismet" at least? No one would ever go as far as I did to think of making him the creature who bore the power to control my future and my future solely! I must be the only who ever even had the courage to be able to craft such a thing, even if it was just in my mind.

"No, you were the only one to ever thought of me as thoroughly as you did. I am an entity. You gave me a living vessel to lounge in. You even gave me a name! You were the only human to give me a purpose to venture on Earthly grounds. Now, I will serve this purpose. I see that you are coming to show feelings of hatred toward me." Kismet paused to snicker. "But if it weren't for me being made of your very emotions of loathing, fear and et cetera, nothing would have stopped you from tearing my innards apart, am I right?" I calmed down. If Kismet didn't exist, I would have grown to be a violent person. Because I am not a violent, fearful person today, my fate has changed... This implies the mere fact that Kismet truly is my fate. It is the symbol of my future. A gawky, spindly creature of sorts is here because I made it in my head and now it really believes he is here to veer my life?

"You are very right," I sighed. "You are fulfilling your purpose splendidly well, Kismet." I sat up straight, intertwining the fingers in my right hand with the fingers on my left. "But I don't get what I'm supposed to f*****g do with you!" My desperate cry went ignored and I was left with silence for a moment.

"Human," Kismet cleared its throat, dislodging thick and slimy mucus from its nose. It took a moment to play with it in its mouth before leaping toward my window ledge and spitting it out with rough excitement. It turned back to face me once again. I stared at it in disgust. Kismet continued. "I do not know myself. I escaped the fathomless corners of your mind-- Ah, no offense to you-- and found myself unable to go back in. Something beckoned me to stay. Perhaps you are going to die and because of said death and because I am fate itself, I was lead here on the road of time and space! I subconsciously knew!"

I stood up now, walking back to the bathroom. I had to go to work, not relax at home talking to Kismet. I waved in dismissal yet Kismet still followed. I wore my suit and tie with caution.

"May I stick around, Human?" Kismet pleaded.

"No," I retorted. "People will question me and I am not up to answering any questions about the likes of you, what you are, why you are here and whatever. Do you not realize the f*****g risk in that?"

"No one will see me." Kismet snorted. "I'm invisible to their eyes. Mostly everyone else but you."

"Mostly everyone? Some people would be able to see you and speak to you?"

Kismet was silent again. His dark, black eyes shifted to the door as if alerted by something. "Demons can." At that moment, the door knocked furiously.

I dashed to the door, unlocked the hatches and swung it open. With a fierce look in his eyes, my co-worker and best friend, Paul, slowly crossed his arms at me.

"Where were you, man? You want to get fired? I figured something was wrong so I came here, just to see you are prepped and ready to go to work as if it were early in the morning." Paul blabbed on.

"S**t, what time is it?" I asked him with a hand scratching the back of my big head. I glanced at his arm where a fat silver Rolex slung loosely on his bony wrist. I pointed at it. "Where the hell did you get that beaut?"

Paul snickered and lifted it to his face. It gleamed in the city sunlight, pale and shiny, giving off strange sparks of dull silver in my eyes. "The girlfriend gave it to me last week for my birthday but I never wore it. I was afraid I'd lose it."

"I bet, with those scrawny wrists you got going!" I grinned slyly.

"Shut up," Paul rolled his eyes delusively and groaned, looking behind me at the mess in my room apartment. "It's half past eight, too. What the hell have you been doing--" Paul's eyes shifted then focused on me again. "...for half an hour...?"

"Is boss angry?" I asked, ignoring his shifty eyes. To be honest, I never really noticed until now. Paul always shifted his eyes so I never really took much heed to it then. I should've connected something.

"Boss is on a sick leave for now. You would've known if you were at work on time. Hurry up, you're driving me back."

With Kismet following me at my heel, we all sat in my car. As I drove, I kept glancing back at Kismet, who was crouching in the back of my car. It was having difficulties staying on the car seat but it wasn't as if I could reach back and fasten a seat-belt over it. Not with Paul in the car.

"You humans and your magic vehicles! One will never understand!" Kismet groused as the car pulled to a stop. I opened my door and then reached for the back door to get Kismet and my bag. Kismet leaped out with a furious glare. Paul had already found his way in so the coast was pretty much clear. I set my bag down on the ground.

"Your other human friend, Paul--"

"What about him?" I questioned Kismet. It was silent except for the racket on the road. 

"He can see me." Kismet looked up at me in fear. I blinked. "He saw me."

"What do you mean?" I turned around to face the door. It was closed and Paul was inside. I walked toward it. 

"When we were still in your apartment and he came to check on you. He looked right at me, right into my nonexistent soul." Kismet pointed to his eyes. "I'm sure of this fact. Your friend is a demon, most likely."

"He is not a demon!" I shouted. I didn't care whether or not people heard me. "That's impossible! Why would--"

"Do not shout!" Kismet snapped. "I will not tolerate your pitiful deriding, human, so--"

"I will deride all I want, creature! Let me be!" My face felt as hot as fire. My mouth was as dry as desert sand. Kismet only shook its puny head. Its fingers dragged along the pavement of the parking lot. We were alone yet Kismet whispered so not even the insects crawling along the ground could hear.

"You're going to have to kill Paul if you don't want my existence to be revealed."I heaved a deep breath at that.

"So what if people know who the f**k you are? It's none of my business." I tried to calm down. I wasn't Kismet and I had nothing to do with it.

"You may not be me," Said Kismet, as if reading my mind. "But your future is in my hands. Without your future, where would you be? Besides, am I not a part of you? I am, aren't I not? Demons are sneaky beings! They take pleasure in other people's pain. They will most definitely tell others."

My scream tore through me like a gigantic butcher knife. I felt my eyes widen and my heart pounding. The scream came out terrified and inhuman. Blood drained from my face before I was even aware of making a conscious decision. My legs were pounding furiously on the asphalt of the parking lot, my ears straining and becoming uncomfortable against my yelling. It was the kind of scream that pierced the brain and ignited some primeval pathway. My fists clenched with blanched knuckles and my nails dug straight into the palms of my pale hands.

I ended my scream with a puff, "W-Why the heck is this happening to me?" Kismet didn't say anything to me. It was good that it didn't because I was angry...

"I am willing to tell you how to kill him. It's not as easy as a stab in the back, human."

"I didn't think so." I groused as I grabbed my bag from the ground. I opened my car again, hopped into the driver's seat and started the engine. 

"Where do you think you're going? Do you not have work?"

"I'm calling in sick. Now tell me how to kill Paul."

© 2014 Honor'd


Author's Note

Honor'd
Imagine if all your emotions took to a physical form... My first supernatural write.

(Not exactly finished yet but a proper ending is in the works...)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lol, this is interesting... The plot is definitely intricate! The details are amazing and the word choice is stupendous... I advise that if Kismet is referred to as 'it', then you must keep it that way. I think I saw a 'him' in there somewhere lol... All in all, this is great and very enjoyable. The ending isn't that bad but I would like to know what is bound to happen with Paul. Good luck.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Honor'd

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Tristram! It's in the process of getting edited so yeah, there are a few mistakes. While rea.. read more
T. W. Hirsch

9 Years Ago

No problem! I'd like to see the end :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
1 Review
Added on April 11, 2014
Last Updated on June 6, 2014
Tags: Demons, Emotion, Crazy, Reflection, Hallucinations, Dreams, Imagination

Author

Honor'd
Honor'd

Smack in the middle of nowhere



About
We all live to eventually perish from the face of the Earth. But I live to write, to jot down the life I am living on a piece of paper in order to inspire others to follow what they truly want to achi.. more..

Writing
The Crying Man The Crying Man

A Story by Honor'd


Door Bell Door Bell

A Story by Honor'd


Mothers' Day Mothers' Day

A Poem by Honor'd