Sign the Dotted Line

Sign the Dotted Line

A Story by HydieWindow
"

"Are you sure this is what you want?" You nod silently. "Then sign here please."

"
"Are you sure this is what you want?" your lawyer asks. Her mouth was pulled into a frown and her eyebrows creased as she read over the terms and conditions.

You nod silently.

"And this is who you want to kill?"

Another nod. A sigh was heard along with the slide of paper across the desk towards you.

"Then sign here please."

Your hand hovers for a moment over the pen before you bring the tip to paper and write out your signature. The whole situation felt so... simple. So easy. There was no real hesitation or fear, no giddiness or anticipation.

 I suppose even this is exaggerated in the movies as well, you think as you hand the pen back.

"Alright then," she said. "The target will be given notice in two hours. In those two hours, you cannot kill the target. You will receive a text to tell when you can go ahead."

You exit the room with your copy of the paperwork, thumbing over the terms and conditions.
 
Okay, you ponder. I can work with this.

You unlock the door to your house after a quick stop to buy some extra food placed them on the kitchen counter. Then you begin to cook for two.

You throw the half of spaghetti, mushrooms, peas and garlic you have into a pot of water and the other half of the ingredients into another pot before sprinkling on some thyme and salt and turning on the stove.

As the water boils and the pasta cooks through, you stir in some heavy cream as you hear the doorbell.

"Delivery!" a male voice called.

You turned down the stove and opened the door to see a young man carrying a box and a clipboard.

"Do I sign here?" you ask.

"That's right."

You quickly sign again and take the box from him, giving a smile and a wave as you close the door. You set it on the table before returning to the kitchen and turning off the stove fully for both pots. You serve up the meals on two different plates, and just before you finish, you open the box and pulled out a shaker, which you shook all over one of the plates and mixed it in.

Then you heard footsteps.

"Why was there a delivery?" a voice mumbled drowsily. "It's like, 5 am."

You shrug. "I'd ordered for yesterday, so maybe that's why."

You hand over a plate, making sure you give the right one over to her. "Are you feeling better?" you ask with a soft smile.

Your daughter gives no reply as she eats her food. Mushrooms are her favourite after all.

"Well, you best get ready for school then," you said softly. "You've got a whole day ahead of you after all."

She quickly finishes her food and goes to get ready for school. Your smile falls.

As you clean up the kitchen, you put the shaker safely in your pocket and wash the dishes, throwing away any leftovers and pouring the other plate into a food flask and giving it to her once she leaves her room.

"Have a good day at school. Oh, and give this to your boyfriend, ok?" you ask. "I made too much and I know you don't like eating too much of the same thing."

She nodded and left, leaving you alone again.

She's been having nightmares a lot. And you know why. You could hear her sobs through the walls last night, begging for him to stop. To let her be. That she didn't want this. But she never tells you. No matter how you asked she'd always deny it. So you've taken things into your own hands.

You watch from your window as her 'boyfriend' walks up next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders so that she can't leave. So that she can't escape. She hands him the flask and he takes it eagerly, immediately digging in as they walk to school.

You can't kill him for about another hour. But strychnine takes about an hour to kill a person, and its an hour and a half at least until they get to school. It was just the waiting game now.

No one touches your baby girl and gets away with it. Not her father, and not him either. You'll keep her safe from it all.

© 2020 HydieWindow


Author's Note

HydieWindow
What do you think of the pacing and other aspects of the story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on March 17, 2020
Last Updated on March 17, 2020
Tags: Poison, Murder, Mystery, Thriller, Fiction

Author

HydieWindow
HydieWindow

United Kingdom