Why Can't I Speak Jamaican And Not English ?

Why Can't I Speak Jamaican And Not English ?

A Stage Play by Ian Chris
"

Four friends from the Windrush generation are sitting in Myrtle's front room talking about the merits of either speaking Jamaican patois or good English.

"

Why Can't I Speak Jamaican And Not English ?


Myrtle : If my mum heard me talking like that she'd would bust my a*s. Your mum would as well.

Freddy : "Yes shed say "You're in England now, so talk English."  My dad's really got the Jamaican accent.

Myrtle If you were to say 'what a rass hole' and all this stuff at home would your mum start...

Audith : But this si swearing isn't it ? I mean if you're just talking properly like 'dey instead of 'they'' you know, there's nothing wrong in that but if you you're swearing and ting you ca understand being angry and frustrated.

Myrtle : When you say 'dey' and 'tree' and all that instead of 'three' and all that, don't say its not 'tree' its 'three'.

Audith : No because they know what I'm talking about, they are used to it. The majority of families  say 'tree' instead  of 'three'.  I can't  help saying 'tree' instead of 'three. I can't help saying 'tree' instead of 'three' because its just, I don't know, it's just natural.

Myrtle: My parents talk like that but when  I do it they try and stop me.

Audith :Well I don't really see why they should stop you because it's natural. There's nothing wrong with it.

Myrtle: There's nothing wrong with it.

Audith : Well, I don't know.....

Shelia : Maybe they think ifimaybe the parents think that if my children go around speaking like that, then all the other children go around speaking like that, then all the other children will think bad of them.

Audith : Maybe the only disadvantage of it is when you yo're coming for a job.

Freddy Yeah you've to talk posh. You can't really talk Jamaican to them because you they wouldn't understand what the ras you are saying. They'd go go what, what ? Me grandpickney tell me to get a job you must clear and loud so they feel comfortable.

Audith. Maybe so but I still think you have a Jamaican accent and speak good English.

Myrtle : I would agree with you on that.

Freddy. Such fun we are having. Let us all speak good English but with our Jamaican accents.


(Myrtle, Audith ,Shelia and Freddy all laugh.)

 

© 2019 Ian Chris


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on March 11, 2019
Last Updated on March 12, 2019

Author

Ian Chris
Ian Chris

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Ghost. Ghost.

A Story by Ian Chris


Retain. Retain.

A Poem by Ian Chris