The Landscape

The Landscape

A Poem by Ian Caithness
"

This poem uses natural and cosmic imagery in order to explore the mind, a deep understanding of the mind combined with the elegance of Nature.

"

The window to my mind,
Much like a portal to atrocity,
So many thoughts and memories
Stemmed up into this landscape,
The way the hills are my moods
Often flat like my sadness,
Sometimes so high that they reach the sky,
These are the times when I fly.

The trees and the flowers,
They are the memories I have,
Dead plants are horrid
Blooming are perfect,
These are the ways, the interpretation,
The death of memories I’d rather forget,
The blossom of memories I wish to behold,
This is the landscape I’ve built.

© 2008 Ian Caithness


Author's Note

Ian Caithness
Please feel free to comment upon the structure, the language, the choice of lexis, the technique, the feel of the poem, themes and ideas. I welcome constructive criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You write in a very symoblic way, I really enjoyed how you described feelings as parts of nature - I think confesionalism and romantic nature poems really should be married more often!

I really appreciate the long and in-depth review you wrote me, in fact, I've never received anything quite like it. It's encouraging because often I just write for myself and so much at that, it's just really nice to feel like I've written something a bit unique.

I'm sure your use of the word 'memories' so many times was intentional, however I wonder if you would consider different ways of saying the same thing? It makes me want to write about memories, as I can relate to the whole stream of consciousness I think of where you come from as a poet.

I really guess we create our own landscapes of perception, reaction and agency, judgement and appreciation, I'll stop by to read more of your work soon. Thanks again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Beautifull written. I really like your idea of comparing your mind and spirit to a landscape. I like it! : )

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2008

Author

Ian Caithness
Ian Caithness

Sleaford, United Kingdom



About
'The unexamined life is not worth living.' - Socrates Life is an illusion. Free will is an illusion. Choice is an illusion. As was once suggested, 'man believes himself simply because he is conscio.. more..

Writing