Frozen - A Short Story

Frozen - A Short Story

A Story by RimantasPodlinevas
"

A man is awoken in a hospital in what feels like a full paralysis, soon he figures out the truth behind his situation.

"

                Slowly, life seemed to flow into me as I greedily gulped down air. I let it fill my body as if it were my soul itself. Once my eyes refocused on what was in front of me I realized that there I was looking at ceiling tiles. Their gridded pattern gave me a rush of relief, the holes and grainy texture reminded me of the Sahara Desert that mum and I visited last year. The trip was lovely but I ended up breaking my leg while I was there. My body, still numb from the anesthetic’s, wouldn’t respond to the commands that I was consciously sending out to it. I commanded my fingers to curl into a fist, my toes to pucker, and my knees to bend yet not one part responded. That is, until my neck turned to the side. There I saw an angel, not really an angel sent from god but I saw a woman sitting on a chair tinkering with some sort of hospital device that was making an obnoxious noise. Finally it clicked for me; I was at a hospital, now just to remember why I was here. The noise sounded kind of like a mix between a bee and a never-ending dial tone, and it just so happened to be right next to my ear. Back to the angel, she looked to be no older than 25 yet you could tell that she was mature. She seemed very bothered with the machine yet I found it rather funny. In my head I was laughing but my detestable laughter would not come out, upon realizing that a fear crept up my insides. It built up inside me until I felt as if it would ravage me from the inside out.  My mouth seemed to be sown shut, my throat felt dry to the point where it felt like the lining was cracked and bleeding, and the entirety of my body seemed to be encased in a large sheet of metal. I started to fear what I would realize next, my every thought was focused on denying the truth from no one other than myself. That was when my eyes allowed that which I thought had been impossible for me, they showed an expression. Not just any expression, they revealed the sadness I felt as well as the unbearable thoughts of loneliness. There were tears, they rolled down and hit the pillow that I rested on. The angel beside me suddenly stood up, metal chair clattering behind her; the look of surprise mixed with horror was plain to see. She turned in a quick 180 and ran off yelling that something was wrong, or something along the lines, leaving me alone with my realization. I now saw the thing that was an electrocardiograph, monitoring my non-existent heart beat and releasing the sound that was still tearing at the very back of my brain. That is the one monitor that doesn’t lie, the one monitor that decides your fate, and reveals that which would otherwise be known as sleep. I can’t say that the comprehension of my fate didn’t scare me, in fact I was terrified, but I was calm. Actually, I was calmer than I had been my entire life. The grip that did not let go had found a path to me and I really didn’t mind, because if this was meant to be my fate there’s no way for me to change it. My life is over, but i'm glad that I died a happy man.

© 2012 RimantasPodlinevas


Author's Note

RimantasPodlinevas
Feel free to criticize.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This is really good. I like it :DD

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Short and sweet. Nice man. Liked the story, but remember, when there are some innecessary words in a sentence, it´s best to get rid of them. Check mine!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Calm.....................its really nice :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this... I love how you used your words to emphasize the act of him coming back to life...good reads! please read my story! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 1, 2012
Last Updated on April 1, 2012

Author

RimantasPodlinevas
RimantasPodlinevas

Wheeling, IL



About
I write very casually and it is a hobby. Right now I am working on a longer piece, I also hope to get it published somewhere. more..

Writing