Beautiful Guys Deserve Beautiful Girls

Beautiful Guys Deserve Beautiful Girls

A Story by Nicole Hellene

Beautiful guys have an image in their minds of what a beautiful girl is, and it will never be me.

 

Beautiful girls are dainty, with slender, flowing jawlines and glittering eyes that sparkle like they're always crying. I do know they don't have a use for that long  hair, but guys wish they had it because theirs gets cut off when they're kids, I don't think anyone asks them either. I'm not quite sure what it is about a girl's hips that makes her beautiful either, but I do know that it's one of the most important elements, and also completely out of her control. Beautiful girls are uncomfortable, their clothes hitch them up and compress their bodies in ways that can't be natural, making some things bigger and other things smaller, everything out of proportion to the natural world, but then again most importantly, beautiful girls are not natural. 

 

And that will never be me.

 

Beautiful girls are also second class citizens and objects of desire. Men are valued for what they do, women are valued for how they look, objectified in advertising and used to attach sex to things people buy. We've put a pricetag on the world's most natural resource: love. Whoever came up with that idea was a genius. In a world run by middle-aged, white men, beautiful girls are not taken seriously.

 

Beautiful guys aren't even taken seriously on that note. Slapped on Abercrombie billboards and paraded around in their underwear like stippers, beautiful guys are used to sell products to other beautiful guys, and we wonder why most of the beautiful guys nowadays turn out gay (I'm not saying anything bad about gays, I know it's an innate thing). Most beautiful guys get ridiculed anyway though for not being steroid-pumping body builders, how sad, most beautiful girls don't like that anyway.

 

A guy told me the other day, "I'd totally go with a girl who's not really good-looking if she had a great personality." We spent the night on my friend's roof together, clutching each other so close and shaking because it was so unbearably cold. I knew what he meant when he told me that, that I wasn't pretty but maybe I could make up for it with "personality." He hasn't called me back, guess I failed. At least my self-respect remains intact.

 

Even so, if I met a beautiful guy who was fed up with the materialistic values that our shallow culture has propogated and was really looking for someone special, I'd set him up with a beautiful girl because beautiful guys deserve beautiful girls.

 

And it will never be me.

© 2009 Nicole Hellene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was such a lovely yet sad story.
Some specifics, first.

1. "I do know they don't have a use for that long hair, but guys wish they had it because theirs gets cut off when they're kids, I don't think anyone asks them either." This sentence seems very wordy to me. Maybe break it into two, or perhaps use a semicolon, re-word a few things here and there, and I think then you'll get the same meaning across without your readers going cross-eyed.

2. I agree with what Jaclyn wrote, and, I think if you gave more examples of this thought of beauty, then the readers would become even -more- emotionally attached than they already are. What I mean is, show us a beautiful girl and an "ugly" girl (as one example). How do they react with one another? I can see that you automatically don't like beautiful girls when you see them, but make the readers not like them as well!

And always remember, true beauty isn't measured by the outward appearance, but by the character of your heart. And if your heart is beautiful, then it will show on the outside.

This was a -beautiful- piece, one that I am going to remember for a long time.
~Lauren

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very good, very sad, and very true, except that the word "beautiful" you used to describe those sad people don't fit them at all. To me, those "beautiful" people are a produce of corrupt media and society. They are empty, fake and shallow both inside and outside...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow...that was beautiful... you put exactly how i feel into words except the last paragraph haha :) overall a fantastic piece of writing..I can't wait till I can read your others!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Stylistically, i think your first paragraph is the strongest. You have a cohesive thought process and progression of the core idea as well as great description to bring it together. Your catch phrase of "it will never be me" works as both a poignant and defiant statement.

Philosophically, the underlying premise of the piece is strong. There is a very real emphasis on physical outward beauty of a particular type, stressed by advertising, tv, movies, music etc. in our society. The Beautiful People are both first and second class citizens, exalted but also limited by the beholder's pre-conception (i.e. you're pretty, not smart - so be quiet and look pretty). I think you hint at this, but could expand it to demonstrate that our species is pretty judgmental and prejudiced no matter which side of the beauty stick you got hit with. Somewhere, is there an essay written by the so-called Beautiful Person, lamenting of the qualities of the Smart Person, and that "it will never be me?"


Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This was such a lovely yet sad story.
Some specifics, first.

1. "I do know they don't have a use for that long hair, but guys wish they had it because theirs gets cut off when they're kids, I don't think anyone asks them either." This sentence seems very wordy to me. Maybe break it into two, or perhaps use a semicolon, re-word a few things here and there, and I think then you'll get the same meaning across without your readers going cross-eyed.

2. I agree with what Jaclyn wrote, and, I think if you gave more examples of this thought of beauty, then the readers would become even -more- emotionally attached than they already are. What I mean is, show us a beautiful girl and an "ugly" girl (as one example). How do they react with one another? I can see that you automatically don't like beautiful girls when you see them, but make the readers not like them as well!

And always remember, true beauty isn't measured by the outward appearance, but by the character of your heart. And if your heart is beautiful, then it will show on the outside.

This was a -beautiful- piece, one that I am going to remember for a long time.
~Lauren

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I haven't seen a picture of you where I see your face, so I can't tell you if you're beautiful on the outside (although in your picture you have now, I think your SHORT hair is gorgeous), but I hope you're considering this piece fiction! You're beautiful on the inside, I believe, because you're totally straight up honest, true to yourself and unwilling to compromise that for anyone, and you're strong and unbelievably brave (who else could do what you do?).

Now, with the Hallmark sentiments out there, I'm gonna be brutal like you like it. This work is very intelligent, yes, and I read the line about beautiful girls having "slender flowing jawlines" three or four times because I liked it so much, but the message here was confusing. This was almost a random thought pattern, jumping from idea to idea. Plus, why, if you if met a beautiful guy that was "fed up with the materialistic values that our shallow culture has propagated--spell check-and was really looking for someone special", would you still set him up with a beautiful girl, when a beautiful girl by your definition stands for everything WRONG with this society? Again, did that make sense to you? I'm really not with it right now.

I like the ideas you have here, but I think there needs to be one continuous idea or plotline to really drive this into my mind. I'm intrigued by what could be here, and it gets me thinking, but I really think it deviates sharply from your usually linear, excellent story-telling/arguing/thought process. I'm going to keep thinking about this though. It gives me ideas. Would you mind if I worked on this idea a little myself? Obviously from my own mind and my own opinions, but this basic idea?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I completely agree with your first paragraph, but I must respectively disagree with your last paragraph.
I have had two marriages and too many relationships over the years based entirely on what I was taught a beautiful girl was suposed to be.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That is really good,yet very sad. You are pretty! don't let others tell you you arnt. Today we live in a world where it seems like everyone has to have the perfect body, the perfect everything. But some people don't realize people are just perfect the way they are. That no one is perfect and if everyone was then how would we learn?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

941 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 28, 2009
Last Updated on April 28, 2009

Author

Nicole Hellene
Nicole Hellene

UCLA, CA



About
Makin money. If you want to fix the Cafe, go to this group. Good Luck: What's Wrong With Writerscafe?1 Members What Would You Change About Writerscafe?Apr 7, 2009 - Jun 7, 2009 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..