mnemosyne

mnemosyne

A Poem by Ima
"

let me lift the veil of memory from your eyes, and--do you recognize me now? say yes, one more time.

"
It was an impulsive gesture, really, and it should have shaken up the universe that we cocooned ourselves in, safe from the prying eyes of people that look but never see. You were chewing the grape you'd stolen from the fruit section of this supermarket. I was studying your thin wrist, the slight angle at which you leaned over the grocery cart, the lines of your hair--no lax curves this time, Memory scrawled in the waters of my mind. Let me grow old with you (again and again and again) I wanted to shatter the perfect normalcy with words refined by centuries of practice but this knowledge I swore to keep to myself and instead fluttered out: "Let's get married." An institution that we condemned because of its statistical failures was what I offered you, you with slight surprise breaking into the glow of your smile, you who cannot remember (all those lifetimes with bittersweet promises I have spent loving you). And steadily, as if everything in life is a question, you answered yes, caught in that junction between life and death where all breath stops and everything else ceases to matter, yes, our exaltation that echoes always whatever our molecules are, yes--in that bustling grocery store, where the distance between us was made infinite by endings bridged by the sentimental foolishness (happy lovely foolishness) that is love.

© 2011 Ima


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on May 11, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011
Tags: marriage, love, reincarnation

Author

Ima
Ima

Quezon City, Manila, Philippines



About
A teenage girl driven by the plague of boredom to explore the messy universes of her mind and reinvent them into something approaching beauty. Loves coffee shops, stuffed pigs, laughing senselessly so.. more..

Writing
12:21 AM 12:21 AM

A Poem by Ima


adam weeps adam weeps

A Poem by Ima


Ars Poetica Ars Poetica

A Poem by Ima