Dark Steel Chapter 1: The Tutorial Level

Dark Steel Chapter 1: The Tutorial Level

A Story by InspiredRain
"

Steel wakes up with no memory of the passed few days, he is greeted with a familiar voice that he thought he killed... (Viewer Discretion Advised)

"
The voices, oh how the voices rang in the night. They were especially loud in the dark apartment room. It sucked in the darkness and got louder, the room grew darker as it filled Steel's head.
      "Come on buddy, wake up!" The deep voice screamed inside. His eyes flung open, red for a moment, then they faded to a pretty shade of green. He surveyed the nearly destroyed apartment, the pillows were torn, the paper on the walls was ripped, and there were blood stains on the floor..Mostly around Steel.
The voice frightened him for a moment, he recalled the last time he had heard it and tried suppressing it to no avail. He questioned it out loud,
       "Why are you here?! I killed you!", a moment of silence before it chuckled at him.
       "You can't kill who you are Steel." the deep voice rang. Steel stood, wobbling a little with his eyes wide open, he was breathing heavily. His dark silhouette brushed against the wall as he moved to the large and broken window. Darkness shrouded him like a coat, it always has, just like it did this city. Looking out this window he could see most the city, it was painted in a nearly pitch black mist.
"I'm so ashamed of you steel, I've been watching what you've been up to since you 'killed me'. You stopped hunting for some girl, you even stopped wearing your guns on you all the time, now look what happened", the voice talked with devilish charm, chuckling through it's words. It was mocking him about something Steel can't even remember.
It had been watching since Steel suppressed it, all the times that he has had with his girl. A demon was hardly ever interested in love. The only reason he ever watched what was going on was when Steel was alone or playing games with her. The violent games he played made It thirsty, but it also tided it over.
"What happened here? Where's Evylin?!", Steel shouted in confused anger. The voice simply laughed at him, he was glad to finally have someone to talk to after the years of him being suppressed. Not only was he glad, he was thirsty, and there were a few things that had to be done before he was answering any question.
"I'll tell you what happened, but you have to get me a drink first. You know what I like.", it said with a happy ring. Steel growled, and grabbed his overcoat. It had to large slivers on the back of the coat.

The city was a poison for most, forcing dark intentions on even the holiest of men. It was simply because of the black fog that clouded the city at all times. There was no day or night, just slight darkness that hung over everyone. To most it was normal, the crime it caused, the madness it stirred in the pot known as the city of Sora.
Steel walked up to a bar, talking to his voice under his breath. The bar was called "The Drunken Jester". He sighed as he walked in, the smell of cigar smoke and booze hit him hard so he gagged.
"What's the matter steel? This should be nothing for a man of your drinking prowess", The voice rang.
"Shut up Zero." Steel said coldly, he was seven months sober and wanted it to stay that way. However that would have to change if he wanted Evelyn back, so says Zero. Steel sat at the bar, coughing from the smell of smoke, everyone glared at him as he did. He looked like a man that didn't belong here, and that is something you never want to be in Sora. 
Only then did he realize what he looked like. A dark shrouded man wearing a black trench coat, heavy boots, and black red lined pants. He glanced over his shoulder, through his long grey hair, to see that everyone was looking at him. There weren't very many in the bar, but either way he'd like to feed Zero the easy way.
"A glass of spiced rum." Steel demanded as two men walked up behind him. He felt their energy radiating from them, but didn't say anything. The tender set the drink in front of him then exchanged looks with the men behind Steel. Steel smelled the drink in near disgust as the tender went into the back room. 
"Steeel~, I think we have the opportunity for something better than booze.", Zero spoke with sand in his voice, he was getting excited. Steel continued to eye the drink as the men behind him started to speak.
" 'Ey pal, not sure if you know, but this is the crows territory." Thug one stopped and thug two began, "See, we're nice, so we'll give you several seconds to get your sorry a*s oughta here." They started to count together slowly, as if they were trying to be intimidating. Zero started humming a tune that gave Steel a disturbed grimace. Then Zero gave Steel an interesting idea.
"The Crows might know something about Evelyn, I think I saw one of their outfits leaving your apartment. Best place to learn about criminals is from a criminal." He teased, The thugs finished counting and grabbed steel, pulling two switch blades on him. He looked at them both.
"Sorry for this boys", Steel said with a defeated look on his face, "But you got something I want, Go ahead Zero". The thugs looked at each other then back to him. Nothing happened, they both laughed like he was insane.  Steel talked to Zero in his head, releasing his shame.
"Give them something to be scared of" Steel said as he drifted away in his own mind. At that moment, the thugs tried pushing Steel, they couldn't, even with the both of them. Steel closed his eyes, and Zero opened his. He started to change, first he grew a little taller, then demonic wings sprouted out of his back through the slithers. He growled violently as horns came out of his head and his ears came to a point. Zero's talons grew where Steel's nails used to be, finally his skin turned a slightly dark shade of grey.
"How ya' doin' fellas?!" Zero yelled at them grinning. The second thug backed away slowly, almost frozen by fear. However, the other took his knife and drove it into Zero's shoulder. Zero grabbed him by the throat, lifting him off the ground. He struggled, twisting and twirling trying to escape the monster that had been inside Steel for so long. 
"I-Ice this b*****d!" He yelled to his partner. Shivering hands quickly grabbed his gun, he pointed it up and unloaded three rounds into Zero's stomach. Every other crow in the bar stood up drawing their guns, still not exactly sure what's going on. Zero looked to them, glaring with red eyes and a discomforting grin that made the thug pull the trigger a few more times. 
Zero squeezed down on thug one's neck causing blood to dribble down his talons. Blood spurted out of his mouth as he gurgled.
"Alright gentlemen, Welcome to the tutorial level!" Zero screeched, flapping both his wings hard towards the crowd. The strength of the wind knocked a few, and anything on the tables, over. He tossed the dead crow at the others. Those that managed to stand up shot off a few rounds at him, but he was already ripping apart another. However, the others ran out into the street in fear. Hearing the demonic and dark laughter of Zero's entertainment. One ran outside and stumbled, he turned to the bar and saw blood splattering against the windows. He froze, trying to crawl away backwards.
A crow got thrown out the window and slammed into a parked car, denting it and painting it a new shade of red. Screams could barely be heard over Zero laughing, it rang in the Crow's heads. 
The crow managed to finally stand and run, but a clawed hand grabbed his shoulder as he began to rise. 
Zero grabbed him and starting flying straight up, the crow couldn't stop screaming. He stopped when he reached a little above skyscraper height.
"What do you know about Evelyn Haze mortal?" Zero spoke with a charming demeanor that was somehow more unsettling then when he was on a blood rage. The crow kept struggling, trying to look away from his red eyes, but found himself staring into them.
"The m-mob has been l-looking at her b-boyfriend for awhile, they tracked him through her information. They wanted s-some kinda p-power from him. T-The Forsaken gang did the d-dirty work, b-b-but there is someone h-higher. Crows just got them the equipment." he said, gasping through clenched teeth. Steel commanded Zero to land on the closest rooftop, so he did.
They dropped the crow on the roof and landed, Zero landed on his knees. Slowly he started to turn back into Steel's mortal form, first the wings, then the claws, then the skin. He stood up and turned around to the crow who was cowering by the edge of the roof.
"Please, I gave you what you want now let me go!" He pleaded, as Steel walked slowly up to him.
"And you shall be judged how you will judge others" Steel said coldly. The crow looked up confused for a moment then started to panic as Steel drew closer. His boot lifted and dropped straight on the crow's chest. He dropped like a crow with a clipped wing.

Screams, they were well known to Steel, they didn't even phase him anymore. Not even the screams of civilians down below, gathered around a corpse fused to the concrete. He was guilty, he felt it all the time. Haunted by screams every night, even when he quit hunting for the safety of his beloved. It seems he quit a little too late.
Steel felt it as he walked off that roof, the screams surrounding him, hidden in his own dark shroud. It was how he had felt back when he first used Zero The Demon, it was like doing it for the first time all over again. Steel knew he was back on the job,at least until he got Evelyn back and finished off the ones that wanted Zero.
The apartment was still pitch black and torn up. Steel walked up to a painting and removed it from the wall. He knocked a hole in the wall with the painting and pulled at a silver briefcase. 666 was the password, he punched it in and opened it slowly.
His guns, they were handguns, a black stainless steel desert eagle and a long silver revolver. They were engraved, the desert eagle was named "Blackout" and the revolver was named "Pulse". Their calibers were high enough to fit a demons strength.
"Looks like we're back in business Zero..." Steel said slowly. He could feel Zero grinning on the inside.
"Good thing we got that practice in at that bar, was a good tutorial level."
"You play too many games Zero."
"You're the one that plays them, I just watch.". Steel paused for a moment.
"Shut the hell up Zero..."

© 2014 InspiredRain


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Should work on some of the spelling, and use commas in correct areas.
Example:
"Shut the Hell up, Zero." For one, 'Hell' would be capitalized because it's not a noun, adjective, verb or anything. It's a pronoun, and should have the 'H' capitalized.
Secondly, you would add a comma after "Shut the Hell up" because there's a brief pause between that and the name 'Steel'. Due to Crow (I'm guessing that's his name), directing the statement towards him.

Decent, but not as good as your prologue. Don't forget to also include more a bit of bringing some of the prologue more into the chapters.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 2, 2014
Last Updated on October 2, 2014
Tags: fantasy, demon, horror, adventure, gory, Viewer discretion advised

Author

InspiredRain
InspiredRain

East Ridge, TN



About
I prefer to write more into the genres of horror and adventure. Usually the horror aspect is for that of a younger generation due to the characters I make. The adventure ones tend to be a bit more gri.. more..

Writing