Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by InkAngelXIII
"

Lux does his best to stay optimistic with his life.

"
A bell rang indicating it was time to wake up. Children were groaning, wishing for more time to sleep, but everyone knew if they didn't Grelad would come for them. No one wants Grelad to come for them.

Grelad was the head of the orphanage. She was a relatively old woman, but don't let her hear you say that. She never smiled, nor was she anything but cruel and viscious. She was not the typical orphanage lady like in Annie. No, if you were cought breaking the rules, or doing something she didn't approve of, you got beat.

Grelad wasn't worried about being arrested for child abuse. The only other caretaker there was a young woman, barely out of her teens, named Madelyn. Grelad knew Maddie would never snitch. She was too afraid of the old woman, and the girl was already on parole. She wasn't going to risk being sent to jail for kids she didn't know.

Yawns and the rustling of clothes alerted one particular boy. Now this boy, Grelad hated especially. He stuck out with his odd hair and eyes. His locks were a light silver, it refused to be tame, always sticking up, and defying gravity. His innocent eyes were as orange as the sunset. She didn't really care all that much though. All the more evidence that he really was what she called him. An abomination.

The boy, Lux was his name, got up like the others. The boys' room was seperate from the girls'. Slipping out of his night clothes, he quickly put on a faded grey t-shirt and dark green cargo shorts. Stuffing his feet into a pair of worn socks he hurried with the others to get breakfast.

There weren't many orphans in the first place. Only about twenty kids in all. Lux was the only 9 year old. Leo was the oldest being twelve. The youngest was Kit, and he was only four.

Lux found Kit and grabbed his hand. Pulling him along they got in line to get food. Lux had to look out for Kit. He was small, so he got pushed around a lot. Kit kept his head down usually, his messy crimson hair covered his green eyes. He was aptly named though. Whenever his eyes peeked out from under his dark lashes and hair, you couldn't help but think he looked just like baby fox.

The older boy grabbed a tray for himself and one for Kit. Sliding both trays along, the cook, a grubby looking man, scooped some slop that faintly resembled oatmeal, and dumped it onto the tray. Lux smiled and thanked the man like he always did. As usual his reply was a grunt.

Handing one tray to the smaller boy, Lux sought out Leo. Said boy was waving his hand discreetly to go over to him. Gently guiding Kit to the table Lux kept a look out for Grelad. She'd sometimes pop in to ensure no one was misbehaving.

The boys quickly sat down across from Leo. Their table was mostly empty besides two girls at the other end. Making sure nobody was paying attention to them Leo leaned forward and grinned. "I finally found the perfect place! Isn't it exciting?"

Leo was a pale skinned blond boy with shaggy hair, and chocolate brown eyes. He was the one who wants to protect everybody. He tries his hardest to make sure no one gets a beating, and if they do he does whatever he can to have it be him instead.

Lux smiled at him. He wanted to be just like Leo, protecting everyone. "Yeah, when can we-"

He was interrupted by the creaking of the door. The entire room became silent. Grelad stood in the doorway scowling. He whispy grey hair was in a bun and her gun metal coloured eyes scanned the room. Those her gaze went over dipped their head, and averted their eyes. She made a 'tch' sound and left.

Lux let out a breath he had been holding since she walked in. They were lucky. Very rarely does she not find someone to punish during breakfast.

Leo's eyes glimmered in anger. "I wish we didn't have to put up with her. Always hurting us, and telling us no one wants us." He spat bitterly.

Lux's eyes softened. "It's not all bad. At least soon we'll be able to leave." He said quietly.

Leo looked at the worried. "I know, but soon it'll be my birthday, and you know what happens when somebody turns thirteen." He pushed around his food nervously.

Lux frowned. He knew what would happen to Leo. Most orphans that were over the age of eight did. When a kid turned thirteen, they could be thrown out of any orphanage. Most didn't enforce this rule, but Grelad did.

Leo had said before that she didn't even allow you to pack a bag. That she let you keep one pair of clothes and a pair of shoes and nothing else. No money, no advise, no home. It wasn't shocking that most that came out of this place end up involved with drugs, and crime.

The only good thing Grelad ever did for them was let them go outside and do whatever they wanted from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm. Seven hours to do whatever they liked so long as they didn't get into trouble, or bother her.

Leo spent his time trying to find a place to stay once he turned thirteen, but he couldn't do it alone. That's where Lux came in. He agreed to do whatever he could to help him. In return whatever place they found, he and Kit could stay too.

"Anyway get your shoes and meet me by the front door." Leo said before taking his tray and leaving.

Lux looked down at Kit who was eating… whatever it was they gave them. The foxish boy was nearly dying of starvation when Lux had found him. During that time Lux gave him his share of food whenever Kit couldn't get any. Soon enough he got better and Lux was happier than ever to have his first friend. Smiling softly Lux ate his meal too.

~•∞•~

Lux and Kit walked quickly to the front door. They always took their shoes off before entering the house. Lux found his black sneakers, and Kit grabbed his blue ones. After they got their shoes the boys waited for Leo.

The blond boy ran as fast as he could get away with down the hall with a backpack in his hand. He skidded to a stop in front of the other two. Leo grabbed the brass knob and turned. The door creaked with resistance, but gave anyway. Outside the sun was hidden behind clouds. It was probably going to rain today.

Lux loved rain. He would sit by a window and just watch it fall. It was as if the rain was trying to wash away the troubles of the world. To him there was nothing better than the feeling of cool droplets of sky water.

Kit shivered slightly from the chilly morning air and clung closer to Lux for warmth. He only had shorts like Lux, but he had a red long sleeved shirt too. He didn't understand why Lux never wore warmer clothes. He suspected it had something to do with the fact that Lux always had an above normal tempature. He knew it wasn't just him who was cold. Leo had long sleeves and jeans.

~•∞•~

They followed Leo into the city. They had to walk through the red light district though. Lux held a tight grip on Kit. Kids without parents were prime targets for a kidnapper. He was not going to let something like that happen to the red head.

The stopped at the edge of the red light distirct and entered behind an alley. Cutting behind vandalized buildings with broken windows and doors they stopped at one.

Leo pulled out a red penknife and selected one of the smaller blades. Fiddling with the lock on the door a little they heard a 'click' and the door opened.

Lux and Kit stared in awe. It was a factory someone had turned into a home, but abandoned. It had most of the furnishings, but a thick layer of dust told them that no one had been here for at least a couple of years.

"S-sugoi." Kit whispered.

Lux looked around and agreed. "It sure is something." He turned to Leo. "How did you find this place?" He asked amazed at the incredible find.

"I had a run in with one of the gangs around here and hid in here." Leo gazed at his new home in pride. "I asked around a bit and found out that this place has been abandoned for almost a decade."

Lux furrowed his eyebrows. "But why hasn't anyone else taken this place?" It looked like the electricity still worked as well if the fridge humming was anything to go by.

Leo folded his arms behind his head in a nonchalant fashion. "Eh, something about it being haunted."

Kit's eyes grew wide and hid behind Lux whimpering. "Is it mean?"

Leo blinked at the fox boy. "Well, i've never actually seen it. No one said it was a malevolent spirit. Just that it exsisted."

"So it's a case of people fearing the unknown." Lux stated. He smiled at Kit and said happily, "That means that it could be a nice ghost!"

"A n-nice ghost?" He repeated. "Like Lux-nii?"

The silver haired boy grinned. "Yup! Nice just like me. Only I'm not a ghost." He chuckled softly.

Leo decided it was time to change the subject. "Well is this sufficient for you guys?" He asked with a smirk.

Kit nodded enthusiastically while smiling. He would like for this to be his new home. It was much better than staying with Grelad. He looked up at Lux to see what he thought.

Lux considered it carefully. It was large. Easily able to house at least ten people comfortably. The electricity still worked but it could be turned off at any moment in time so they'd have to be prepared for that. The fridge was functional, but empty. It'd require money to fill it and a job to get money. It'd be at least a year before Leo could legally work so that was a problem. There weren't any beds, but Leo showed them two mattresses up stairs. Not many knew about this place and those that did were too scared of a potential haunting. All in all it was a good place, but they needed money to make it really work.

"It's almost perfect." He said. "But do you have a way to get food and what about the water? Does it still work?"

Leo rubbed the back of his head. "I don't know. Let me try."

They went to the kitchen and huddled around the sink. Leo grabbed the dull metal knob and twisted it. At first nothing happened, but then clear water rushed out of the slightly rusty faucet.

"Guess so." The blond uttered.

Lux knelt down to Kit. "Why don't you go explore and try to find secret places?" He offered a conspiratory wink, and smile.

Kit smiled, his emerald eyes sparkling, and ran off.

"Why'd you tell him to leave?"

Lux stood up and gave such a serious look, it shouldn't have been on a child's face. ""How do you plan on getting money?" If Leo had plans that involved him and Kit getting into any form of danger; mentor, or not Lux would not have any part of it.

Leo chuckled softly and shook his head. "Nothing illegal if that's what you're worried about. A man who runs an antique store offered to pay me four dollars an hour for helping him around his shop." He walked closer to Lux and placed his hand on his shoulder. "Id never do anything to endanger you or Kit."

Lux smiled relieved. It was like they were a family. Kit was the lovable baby brother, Leo was the protective big brother, and Lux was… Lux was the brother who tried to keep his family as happy as he could.


© 2013 InkAngelXIII


Author's Note

InkAngelXIII
Read and review please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved it!!
KIT SOUNDS SO KAWAII!!! @w@
Keep up the great work! Looking forward to the next chapters~~~

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love this story the more i read i noticed in a few spots there were some missing letters but it was easy to figure out what words they were suppose to be. But i love how this is playing out and i cant wait for more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 11, 2013
Last Updated on February 11, 2013
Tags: Lux, Leo, Kit, Light, Dark, Chaos


Author

InkAngelXIII
InkAngelXIII

Ellendale, ND



About
I am Ink! I am all things good and nerdy, and not so good and devious! I like computers, games, and junk food. I dislike very few things actually. Except doing dishes. I hate dishes. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by InkAngelXIII