Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by hannahspelledbackwards

Emma Ruth Watson

Chase Dean Parker 

Chapter One

I’ve never been a morning person, or even much of a morning anything for that matter. Second period is the worst. It’s still the morning, but the last class before lunch, and your stomach seems to be completely empty even though you had a pop tart an hour ago. It’s like your stomach is on a timer or something. 

Hey Chase. I’m ready. Let’s freaking eat. 

But because it’s the third day of the new semester, not to mention of also the school year, my stomach hasn’t officially gotten used to this new routine. This past summer was one of the best, and the last, of my high school career. It’s the beginning of my senior year, and I’m already counting down the days until graduation: The best day of my life. 

Mrs. Jones won’t stop going on and on about some stupid math problem on the board that nobody understands; nor do they care to. I’m starting to doodle in my sketchbook that I bought about a month ago, which I’m already in love with. I can never put my pencil down once I begin drawing on a new page. It just has to be done. 

Meanwhile, everyone in the classroom is either talking amongst themselves, reading, or doodling like myself. Well, there are maybe three or four people who are actually listening to Mrs. Jones, but only because they comprehend the stupid problems. 

My friend Josh sits across from me, luckily, since Mrs. Jones assigned us seats the first minute we walked into her class three days ago, with our names taped on the desks. Today is the first day they are taken off. 

Josh rolls his eyes at me when Mrs. Jones finishes the final algebraic equation, obviously not understanding any of it either. A girl named Emma sits behind him, worry lines struck across her forehead, and she taps Josh on the shoulder. 

When he turns around to face her, she asks, “Do you get any of this? I’m so lost.” 

Josh and Emma became good friends last year during some Spanish class they took together. I’ve never gotten to know her, but she seems like an interesting person. 

“Are you kidding?” he replies. “If you don’t get it, you know I don’t.” 

She shrugs, then gazes at me. “What about you?” 

“I haven’t even been paying attention. I’m sure Nathan gets it though.” My eyes point across the room to the front, right at Nathan Phillips who is the smartest kid in our school. Of course Nathan gets it. He knows everything. 

The teacher assigns us our homework, as usual, and lets us be to do whatever we want. Whether that be actually doing the homework, talking, etc. Josh and Emma talk the rest of the class, so I end up finishing my drawing. I decide to look over it some more and add the details when I get home. 

“I need to go to the bathroom,” Emma states loud enough for both me and Josh to hear. I turn around to face her after I close my sketchbook. “Do you think she will let me go?” 

“Maybe. I think she said you’d have to stay after school for five minutes,” Josh answers.

“That’s so stupid! I hate this school. But I have to go so bad.” 

It’s kind of humorous to me that a girl like her would explain this to two boys. Girls can be freaking weird. 

“I would just ask if I were you. It won’t hurt,” I say. 

In response, Emma gets up and asks Mrs. Jones. I can’t hear any of their conversation, but I assume she lets her go since Emma walks out of the classroom without a protest. 

“She seems cool, I guess.” I tell Josh. 

He nods. 

“Chase!” I look over in the direction of a girl’s voice. It’s Caroline Everett. “Did you finish the homework?” 

She’s so pretty. Probably one of the prettiest at our school. “Nope. Haven’t even started.” 

But she’s dating Garrett Peterson, one of the dumbest guys at school. A total pot head. Some match, huh? 

She starts to walk over towards me, coming from behind me. But just when I was beginning to think she was so graceful, she falls on Emma’s desk, taking down everything on the desk with her. Honestly, it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. It even embarrassed me just watching it all. 

In strong efforts of holding back a laugh, I ask, “Are you okay?” Josh is now picking up all of Emma’s stuff, while Caroline is trying to recover. 

She’s laughing too, so I don’t feel as bad. “Yeah! Oh my gosh, I feel like such an idiot! I’m so clumsy. Sorry.” I just now become aware that all eyes are on us. Well, mainly her. 

“Caroline,” her friend Terry proclaims while laughing. “I can’t believe you did this again! You fell down yesterday.” 

She runs over back to her desk to laugh with her friends. 

Okay … I think in my head slowly. Not the brightest crayon in the box. 

I notice my sketchbook lying on the ground beneath my desk, so I reach down to retrieve it and put it in my backpack. 

“What the heck?” Josh says to me. We exchange awkward glances. Emma comes in the door, taking her seat quietly. She has no idea what just happened and how much she missed. 

“You missed it big time,” Josh smirks at Emma. 

Her eyes widen. “What did I miss?” 

“Caroline came over to try to copy Chase’s homework--"

“--Even though I told her I hadn’t started yet.” I interrupted him. 

“Yeah, but she came over anyway, and then fell on your desk flat on her face. All of your books fell everywhere. Her face got super red and everyone laughed at her. The funny thing is, I’m pretty sure that’s a usual thing with her.” 

Emma giggles. “Um, yes, it is. She did the same thing last year. Maybe it’s an act, especially if this happens a lot.” 

“Who knows,” I say. 

“Wait, did you say she knocked down my books?” Emma asks Josh. 

“Yeah, but don’t worry, I put them all in your backpack for you.” He winks. Josh tends to flirt a lot with girls, even when he doesn’t realize that he does. It kind of gets on my nerves to be honest.

“Well, thank you,” she replies. Do I see her blush? 

He smiles at her, and turns to walk away when the bell rings. I gather my things, sketchbook firmly in my hands, and exit the classroom. 

“Is Josh your best friend or something?” A girly voice asks me as I’m walking down the hall. It’s Emma. 

“Uh, I guess so.” I shrug. “Yeah, he’s my best friend.” 

She nods, trying to keep the conversation going. “So I’ve heard.” 

Then why did you ask?

“Josh and I became friends last year.” 

“So I’ve heard."

She smiles. “We should all hang out sometime.” 

“Sure,” I say. “Just tell me when.” I realize I’m at the end of the hall, and I passed my locker way far back. I guess I forgot. “Well, I’ve got to get going. See you tomorrow.” 

She waves.

What a strange girl. 



© 2012 hannahspelledbackwards


Author's Note

hannahspelledbackwards
First draft. Let me know if you have any comments/questions/advice please!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on February 14, 2012
Last Updated on May 6, 2012
Tags: romance, journal, depression


Author

hannahspelledbackwards
hannahspelledbackwards

Sydney, Australia



About
I'm Hannah, a 23 year old who loves art, animals, people, traveling and nature. I write poetry, songs, and stories. I write books but for some reason I never finish them. I can't write a poem unless I.. more..

Writing