Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by hannahspelledbackwards

I was so close to getting the information that I needed. So close. It might not have been the perfect opportunity, but the fact that when I do ask, if I do, she'll know that I knew at that moment when I strangely stared at her without relent.
But maybe it isn't her. Maybe it wasn't even in that class.
Wrong. The last time I had my sketchbook was that class.
So what now? I could read some more to see if it will tell me whose it is, or I could ask all my suspects. Who are the suspects?
Definitely Emma, and I suppose Caroline. None other girls that I know of at this time.
I'm walking through the parking lot after school as I search for my car. Why can't I ever remember where I park the stupid thing? It's really not that hard.
"Hey chase!" I hear someone call after me, so I turn around. It's Josh.
"What are you doing tonight?" he asks me.
"Working." I always use this excuse with him nowadays. Even if it's a lie.
"But it's Friday!" he protested.
"Yeah, I know. But I need money for next year. We don't all get the privilege of our parents paying for our college," I teased him.
He sarcastically laughed. "Very funny. It's Scott's birthday and he's having a sick party. You'll miss out man!"
Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to work so I actually could go to these parties. All my friends went and every Monday they make me believe why I should regret not going.
But not today. Today I realize that I have bigger things to worry about. I actually do have to work this time.
"Sure, sure." I shrugged it off, spotted my car, and made my way to it.
As I turn on my ignition, I see Emma talking to one of her friends across the parking lot. She seems distracted, and I catch her eye looking at something other than her friend. She's too far for me to try to see what she's looking at. I become frustrated and drive away.
At work, all I can think about is whose notebook it belongs to. Sarah Beth Jenson, Kaitlin Purcelle, Grace Worthington, Natasha Bennett . . .
Every girl in my math class. It just makes sense for it to belong to someone around me, but since there's more boys in my math class than girls, that leaves only three surrounding girls. Emma, of course, diagonally from me. Kaitlin, across from me, with Natasha in front of her. That's it.
Something entirely new dawns on me. What if someone gave it to me as a joke? Josh would definitely be in the joke if that's the case. But why? There would be no reason for Josh to do such a thing to me. And if he did, he would've given it away to me today. He can't ever keep secrets.
The manager puts me up at the register, which is my least favorite thing to do at work. I prefer to stock or prepare the meals in the kitchen. That way I don't have to deal with annoying customers. They're nagging things I tell ya.
To further prove my point, tonight an elderly woman asked me three times when her burger would be ready after "having to wait way too long." Mind I tell you that her wait had been exactly three and a half minutes, only because Friday nights bring mass crowds. I guess people just don't get it sometimes.
A group of guys from my school show up, and I can't tell if they're drunk yet or not. Its only ten o'clock, but it's not like it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. They're just lucky cops usually go to the diner down the street and not here.
I notice Forest, Ian, Josh, and a few other guys who go to a different school. Or perhaps already graduated. Josh does seem to enjoy the college parties more than our petty little high school's, or so he says.
Josh finally fixes his eyes on me behind the counter. "Hey look!" he yells, loud enough for a whole school cafeteria to hear. "It's chase!"
Yep. He's drunk.
I brace myself for an interesting turn of events. I note to myself that this probably will not end up that well.
Josh stumbles across the dirty floor of the restaurant, all eyes on him. He doesn't mind the people in line; he cuts right in front of them until he's the first in my line.
His eyes are foggy. I smell a weird scent on him--not cigarettes, but something similar. I then realize, when I notice his eyes are not only foggy but bloodshot red, that he must also have been smoking weed. Which is not a good mix with alcohol. I would know.
"Josh, you should leave," I mutter soft enough for only him to hear.
"Why? All I want is some fri--" he stumbles a little and then catches himself. A boyish grin creeps out from the corner of his lips as he finishes: "--es. Ha! Did ya see that?"
I hear his friends laugh. I roll my eyes and thank God I stopped going along with them a year ago. They look like idiots.
I turn my body to look beyond Josh at the people he cut in front of. I apologize with the most sincere look I can manage and hope they buy it.
I think they do.
"Oh don't listen to him. He only wishes he could be a part of this." He points his fingers at himself. "Don't 'cha?"
"You need to get in the back of the line."
"Or what?" he challenges.
I notice more people have came in since Josh and his buddies intruded. We close in a few minutes and there's no way we'll have all of their orders done if Josh doesn't shut up.
"Please. Don't make me get the manager," I plead him. I don't want to have to embarrass him even more. I'm embarrassed for even knowing his name.
The other customers have begun talking louder, threatening to leave. There's a family directly behind him who seems very ticked off--I don't blame them--and a group of girls beside the door who keep turning around to look at Josh, then turning back around to gossip about it. I don't blame them either really.
"Josh?" one of the girls loudly asks. The voice sounds familiar.
It doesn't come from the group of girls, though. It comes from the other door by the fountain drinks.
It's Emma. Of course.
I suddenly am curious to see who she came with, and why the heck she's here at almost 10:30 on a Friday night.
"Emma!" he shouts enthusiastically. 
She doesn't seem so thrilled. 
He walks through the lines of people over to where she is. I notice his group of friends stare at Emma and Josh, and also the girl alongside her. I don't know her name. 
He motions for the boys to come closer to the three of them, and they have smirks on their faces. 
This is not going to be good.
I want to know what they're talking about so I don't have to worry. A bad feeling begins to grow in my stomach, and I realize that if I don't make my way over there, something bad will happen because of it. 
"Dan," I call in the kitchen. Dan comes out, looking like he just ran five miles. He looks awful. "Can you cover for me for five minutes? I have to take care of something." My eyes dart to the group in the spotlight. 
His eyes show worry. "I don't know. I--"
"Please Dan. Just five minutes, tops," I plead.
"Okay. FIve minutes." 
I nod and run for the group. 
I see Josh's arm around Emma while Forest is making small talk with Emma's friend. Her name still doesn't ring a bell to me. I finally reach them and am able to make out what they're saying.
". . . doing later? We really need to hang out," I hear Josh say to Emma. 
She doesn't look too happy. That makes me feel better. 
She tugs at his arm, trying to escape him. "I don't think that's a good idea." 
"Why not? Is it because you're too good for me?" he teased. 
"No," she spouts. 
"Good. So let's go." 
He pulls on her arm. She's about to protest but then I hear a croaking voice loudly announce: "Josh. Let go. Now." 
That was me. 
Her eyes quickly dart to me and Josh lets go of her arm. I can almost feel the relief coming off from her body. 
Forest approaches me with broad shoulders, arms flexing. "Something wrong, Parker?" 
"Yes. You need to leave. You've disrupted enough tonight. Take the party somewhere else."
Josh laughs. "I knew you'd be the party pooper! I keep inviting you and every time you turn it down . . ." Before he finishes, he stumbles across the floor. 
"That's enough!" a loud voice towers over me. It's John, my manager. "You boys need to leave now or I'm calling the cops. I'm sure they'd love to know high school kids are underage drinking."
They stood there, motionless. Emma and her friend had already gotten behind me and John, and Josh and his friends were wide eyed. 
"Are any of you sober to drive?" he quickly snapped. 
"I am," one of them answered. He must be one of the older ones that I've never met. 
"Good. Now go before I change my mind." 
They exit quickly without a sound. Man, I sure am going to pay for this on Monday. 


At exactly 11:47, I make it out of work. Finally. There's only a few cars are left in the parking lot since we closed later than usual due to the rather interesting incident. I find my keys in my pocket and unlock the door to my car. I notice there's an unfamiliar car parked two spots away from mine. I mention it because it doesn't look familiar, and I know everyone's cars who worked tonight. 
I get in and turn the ignition. I look to my left to study the car for one more second before I depart, and that's the moment when my heart stops beating and falls out of my butt. 


© 2012 hannahspelledbackwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 6, 2012
Last Updated on May 10, 2012


Author

hannahspelledbackwards
hannahspelledbackwards

Sydney, Australia



About
I'm Hannah, a 23 year old who loves art, animals, people, traveling and nature. I write poetry, songs, and stories. I write books but for some reason I never finish them. I can't write a poem unless I.. more..

Writing