Protection

Protection

A Chapter by Isemay

The next two nights she had parties to attend. She caught glimpses of him at the second, her uncle’s grand gala celebrating the Peace, but she avoided him with the same fervor she usually reserved for avoiding her cousins, even stooping to speaking briefly to Tannara and Tanae to keep her back to him.

 

The third night was a masquerade hosted in the luxurious tents the Meazyr Princes had chosen to stay in an hour’s ride outside of Pearlion. She tried to beg off, saying she wouldn’t be missed, but her uncle wouldn’t have it.

 

“You have obligations and you are required to fulfill them. What stupidity would make you think I would allow you to shirk something of this magnitude?” Her uncle didn’t bother looking up.

 

Vaeri kept her voice quiet and even, “After your chiding, I managed to take back my favor belt.” Her uncle looked up, pleased. “He didn’t take it well uncle. He pushed past Keya and cornered me in my lodging, demanding I allow him to remove the insult.” She thought he smirked as he looked back to his papers.

 

“You’re concerned for your safety?” The hint of malicious mockery in his voice made her wish she had chosen to take just a taste of poison before the masquerade instead.

 

“I am concerned, uncle.” Keeping her voice cool and even was an effort.

 

“Then perhaps it is a suitable punishment for giving him your favor so thoughtlessly.” He rang for a servant and she expected to be dismissed. She was surprised when instead he said, “Fetch Tandas.”

 

She stood waiting, confused, as he continued with his paperwork.

 

Tandas arrived promptly looking flushed as though he had run to the chamber as soon as he’d been given the order; King Tanric was not kept waiting, not even by his own sons.

 

“You remember the Meazyr Prince your cousin so brazenly gave her favor to?” He inquired without looking up.

 

“Yes, father.” Tandas glanced at her and smirked.

 

“You are to protect her from him at the masquerade. And to secure her lodging so that he does not push his way in making demands a second time.” He looked up when Tandas did not answer immediately.

 

Tandas looked pale. “Tannos might be a better choice, father.”

 

“Tannos has already shown his capability. I wish to see yours. How capable will you be at protecting your kinswoman?” The look his father gave him was both mocking and measuring.

 

“Of course, father. I will see to it.” He bowed slightly.

 

When her uncle turned his gaze to her he smirked again and asked, “Will that suffice?”

 

Vaeri bowed her head and bent her knees graciously, “Yes. Thank you, uncle. I am grateful.” Her voice was soft, she barely managed to push the words out.

 

“You may go.” He waved his hand and she and Tandas left the room silently.

 

Once outside the heavy doors, he hissed at her, “What have you done?!”

 

“I took my favor back and he did not take it well.” She tried to keep her face cold and emotionless. “I tried to beg off of the masquerade tonight and this was uncle’s solution. I did not ask for protection, I asked to be able to avoid him.”

 

Tandas sighed. “You should have had guards at your house, already.”

 

“I imagine that was uncle’s thought when he commented on Tannos’ capability.” She said it quietly.

 

Tandas looked at her with a smile. “Tannos was responsible for your safety?”

 

“Of course. You’re aware that uncle placed him in charge of security for the royal family? As much as we all sometimes wish it were not the case, I am a member of it, as uncle reminded us both.” She tried not to sound bitter.

 

Tandas looked at her speculatively before gallantly taking her arm and walking with her down to the guard room where the master of the guard would likely be. It felt strange to her, being treated like one of his sisters.



© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on May 24, 2017
Last Updated on May 24, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, nobility, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay