Prince of Flowers

Prince of Flowers

A Chapter by Isemay

Vaeri had wanted the dress to be brown, but the dressmaker wouldn’t hear of it. The flowers were the same tiny blue blossoms she used to see in the woods covering the ground, the flowers she was named for, and she had even managed to find a perfume that had the same light scent. She looked in the mirror as Keya elaborately coiled her hair and pinned it with gold pins topped with jewelled blue flowers.

 

She looked like a meadow instead of the forest floor, but that might be for the best. She didn’t know how widely the flowers grew, if they grew farther up in the mountains where the Princes hailed from… She didn’t want the Fool to take her gown as an invitation if he recognized them.

 

The mask was pinned in place last and she barely recognized herself. She let Keya paint the delicate designs her cousin, Tandas, had suggested, flecks that looked like the suggestion of gold flowers. They were beautiful.

 

He had been solicitous all day since they had spoken with her uncle. That he could go from being cruel to kind so quickly was terrifying, largely because she knew he could go back again just as swiftly. He had accompanied her to have guards arranged, and then to her house to see her gown and the ‘conditions’ she was staying in as he put it. He had almost seemed envious of the amount of freedom living outside the wall afforded her.

 

When he arrived with a large royal carriage for the two of them, she was impressed. He was dressed as the Prince of Flowers from the story she had loved as a child. Wild and delicate, his crown and coat entirely of flowers and his ears painted with silver floral designs very much like the gold ones on her own ears.

 

She laughed and smiled at him shaking her head, “You make a beautiful Prince of Flowers, cousin. You will put all the rest of the guests to shame!” She was teasing only slightly.

 

“That is what I am supposed to be telling you, Vaeri. Now what do I say?” He chided her with a mocking tone.

 

“You could try, ‘Thank you’, Tandas.” She smiled as he helped her into the carriage. “We both know you’re much prettier.”

 

He laughed and looked at her with genuine amusement. “You do look lovely. And what is that perfume?”

 

“Sweet Vaerian, like the flowers on my dress.” She said with chagrin, expecting to be mocked.

 

“You’re named after a flower?” He asked with surprise.

 

She looked at him, smiling in surprise. “Why else was I supposed to introduce myself as a Flower of Kingholme?”

 

Tandas looked almost embarrassed, “Because you aren't a Jewel.”

 

She smiled wryly and turned her head to look out of the carriage window.

 

“Did you smile at the Meazyr the way you smiled at me?” Tandas asked after a moment.

 

Vaeri looked back at him in confusion. “I may have smiled at him, why do you ask?”

 

“Sweet Vaeri, turning away like that after you have lit the carriage with your smile is enough to make me feel guilty. I can’t imagine what you did to the poor Meazyr when you took back your favor belt.” His tone was gently teasing.

 

She felt her cheeks reddening and she shook her head. “I still have bruises on my arm from the ‘poor Meazyr’, he deserved it.”

 

“You will stay close? At the masquerade? I’ll keep you from further bruising if I can.” Tandas’ tone was earnest and Vaeri looked at him with genuine surprise. “Father charged me with your safe keeping, and proving myself more capable than Tannos is something I would dearly love to do.” He smiled wryly.

 

She laughed softly and smiled. “I’ll stay as close you need me to, and be grateful for your company.” Her smile faded as she turned to look out of the window again. “I don’t want him to catch me alone.”

 

Vaeri would have been content to let the carriage ride pass in silence but Tandas continuously rekindled the conversation on the occasions it died until they had reached the tents. It was the longest she had ever had a conversation with one of her cousins, and that it had been pleasant almost made her think the person across from her was someone else entirely, taking her cousin’s place for the masquerade.

 

When they arrived Tandas practically sprang from the carriage and helped Vaeri down with a flourish. She laughed again and reached up to carefully adjust his mask, a pin had come slightly loose and it had become ever so slightly crooked.

 

He took her arm with a warm smile and inquired “Do you dance, Sweet Vaerian Flower?”

 

She sighed and smiled wryly, “I’ve taken lessons, but I’ve never actually danced at a party. I’ve managed to avoid having to dance with the suitors uncle and T-” She stopped herself remembering where they were. “And your oldest brother have pushed on me.”

 

Tandas laughed. “Remembering not to use names is difficult. Hopefully, when you dance with me, remembering the steps won’t be.” He teased with a smile. “I enjoy dancing, and as we are inseparable this evening, I’m afraid I must insist.”

 

She laughed and teased back, “Who am I to refuse the Prince of Flowers a dance?”



© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on May 24, 2017
Last Updated on May 24, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, nobility, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay