Called to Court

Called to Court

A Chapter by Isemay

There are no peaceful souls

Where the soldier’s daughter grows

Though the city of the dead smells so sweet

The keepers of the dead call the names upon the rolls

And the living do not dare to walk those streets

 

In the ashes of dark Vells

Where no wholesome thing now dwells

Princes scattered seeds to heal the breach

The keepers softly tell in the silence of dark Vells

That the dead yet find no peace within their reach

  • Lament of Vells

 

----------------------------------------------

Commander Eshenesra loathed being called to Court. That he had been told to bring Vaeri made him nervous. Now nearly fourteen her aunt was trying valiantly to turn her interest in fighting into an interest in dancing. Had Bulol not chosen to leave and join the Meazyr forces she would have had no chance.

 

His sister had understood, her husband’s choice was not come to lightly. But Vaeri had taken it hard, she had viewed it as a betrayal. Ianthe had been left with an angry rebellious child to deal with on her own. She had finally sent begging letters to her brother to come home and help her.

 

Unable to leave immediately, he had written Vaeri a scathing letter admonishing her to listen to her aunt and to obey, her behaviour was unacceptable. When he had returned two months later his sweet if fiery Vaeri was a cold stranger. He had spent the entirety of his time at home trying in vain to get the child to speak to him and spend time with him, only to have her dissolve into tears and apologies when he had to leave, begging him not to go.

 

He had let her ride with him halfway back to Vells. After she had been sent back to Redreath one of his lieutenants asked why he did not just bring her with him, many of the men had brought their families to the fortified city. The Commander had responded solemnly, “Do not risk what you cannot bear to lose. She’s safer in Redreath.”

 

Almost a year later and Vaeri still wouldn’t speak of her uncle, choosing instead to pretend he had never existed. She was, however, more considerate of her aunt and she clung to her father when he was home. She was overjoyed to be going to Court with him.

 

The small carriage that accompanied them carried only luggage, Vaeri rode her own horse next to her father proudly. She had only met her mother’s family once, when she was very young, and the Commander doubted she remembered any of it. The royal house of Ameinashta was not known for its warmth and since her mother’s death, the Commander had found communications with them to be frigid. He felt as though he was walking into an ambush and he was required to bring his only child with him.



© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on May 28, 2017
Last Updated on May 28, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, nobility, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay