Lallareth

Lallareth

A Chapter by Isemay

Ivhir was enjoying his time at Lallareth. Built on the stone cliff face carved by the churning river below, the small fortress towered over the Oryr river, and from the mirador, the Road could be seen clearly on the other, lower, side. The bridge was miles down but no one could sneak past on that road. The open fields beside it made the thought of an attempt laughable. But on this side, there were forests that reminded him of the forests of home.


Alaimel was only a few days’ ride but her sons and daughters were not known to wander. Had he not been taken from there as a child, he would likely have never left. The tall pale man had been brought into the fold of the light, been blessed and anointed as a Light Bringer, well before he had rediscovered his homeland. It was nice to be close but their tree gods were strange to him and too dark. He looked down at the forest from the tower lookout.


The bird alighting startled him from his reverie. He rang down to the bird cotes and waited. When Esus poked his head up grouchily, Ivhir grinned at the short dark haired man. “There’s a bird here for you.”


“A bird? From where?” Esus climbed into the mirador not waiting on an answer. He held out a leather covered arm to the sizable grey creature and looked it over after it hopped obediently to it. He took off the message capsule and tossed it to Ivhir. “This has to be from Anykrocath, you don’t see these beauties used often. Let’s get you below, lovely.”


Ivhir opened the capsule and read the message with surprise and some amusement. He rang the barracks. The night watch would be sleeping but there had to be someone watching the road and the message must be passed along. The other Light Bringers had been sent out already, the three of them would have to find a way to keep watch and catch the songbird heading their way.


Erech had murder in his mirrored eyes as he came through the open hatch on the floor.


Ivhir held up the missive and spoke quickly. “We have an important message from Miryil. She was robbed. The thief is coming this way and we need to catch her and keep her safe. The thief is one of the chosen of Anyk and sang the message the Holy Father sent her for.”


Erech’s face changed from murderous to confused. “I almost thought I heard you say Miryil was robbed.”


Ivhir grinned broadly, “This songbird we have to catch will be wearing Miryil’s armor, and riding her horse. She wants us to meet her at Gaelel with the girl, but …”


Erech shook his head. “She’ll have to come and fetch her. I’m looking forward to hearing this story.” A half smile twisted the man’s thin lips. “How long before the thieving songbird graces us with her presence?”


“From Anykrocath? Tomorrow afternoon, perhaps. If she stops often to rest, it will take longer. Songbirds aren’t known for stamina.”


Erech nodded, “I’ll have Esus prepare a cage for her.” He headed back below, leaving Ivhir to watch the road as the sun began to sink slowly.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm getting hooked on the story. Every new character expands this world a little bit and I find it really fascinating. I like the details - how you mention the birds sent from anykrocath are different than the others is one of those nice details. The two paragraphs when the bird arrives ("the bird a lighting... " up to "below, lovely") are a bit confusing in terms of who's saying what. Since ivhir reads the message, I assume esus is the one that says a bird is there - but since the bird is what distracted him from his thoughts in the first place, the order of events is a bit confusing. Only in those two paragraphs is it confusing though. The rest is very well written. Again- great work with this chapter progression!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Isemay

6 Years Ago

I will clarify! Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 20, 2017
Last Updated on August 2, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay