Offering

Offering

A Chapter by Isemay

As he listened to the song softly sung, and felt how much it soothed her, Malav wished for the first time that he had wasted time on such things. Perhaps when she came she could teach him to sing in the privacy of their chamber. His feelings of longing were brought up short when Charyic was startled. He almost lost the connection to her.


Malav gripped the staff tighter to watch and listen. He smiled grimly. From where he sat he could see her answers. Not what she had written down, but her memories. He saw the thieves she traded with, and the shrine where she lay the star at the jester’s feet. When she broke her own finger he grinned with fierce pride. This was not a weak willed creature. This was a wife worth having.


Whispered arguing disturbed his focus. He ran his hands over the staff appreciatively. Seeing her offer the star at the shrine made him realize he had not offered thanks for this gift. They were still at Lallareth and he had time to make a small deviation from his path on the way to Gaelel.


“Summon Cerik.” He called abruptly and the whispering stopped.


Cerik was there in an instant, as if he had been awaiting the summons. “My Prince?”


“I wish to visit the shrine of roots before we arrive in Gaelel. Make arrangements. And I would see the Light Bringer’s sword.”


“Of course. There is a priest who wished to extend an invitation. I have no doubt he will be pleased by your visit.”


Malav smiled within his hood. The priest had likely been sent to chide him for failing to offer his thanks. There were more shrines he would need to visit but none more important than the one dedicated to the god to which all men must bow. The ruler of the roots of trees and mountains, the ruler of the world beneath. He would give his thanks, and it would be worthy. The gift of the staff was a noble one, but when it gave him his wife it became magnificent.


He unwrapped the Light Bringer’s sword once it was laid on the table. The blade glowed even in the well-lit room. Such blades took decades to create, tremendous amounts of power and prayer directed into the steel. He had intended to bargain with it, but it would make a far better offering. His wife had not hesitated to ruin the armor to thank her god for aid in her escape. Should a greater god not be given a greater gift?


Wrapping it again, Malav considered offering the horse as well. He would have a look at it in the morning. Only the finest beasts should ever be offered. An unworthy offering was worse than none at all.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 22, 2017
Last Updated on July 22, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay