Getting acquainted

Getting acquainted

A Chapter by Isemay

He had been watching when she escaped. His men had been sent to bring her to him before she could leave the city, she was coming to the gate closest to him. In trying to evade them, she had come right to him. But now that she was here in front of him Malav wasn’t sure what to do with her.


He wanted to try the poetry from the book Cerik had brought him or perhaps embrace her, something to make her feel for him what she felt for Esus. All she felt toward him now was fear. And she smelled.


Malav frowned. “Cerik.” The man had appeared as if summoned he should be made useful. “Have a bath drawn for my wife, and fresh clothing brought. Something suitable for travel.”


“At once, my Prince.” The man cleared his throat quietly and subtly mimed pulling back a hood before slipping out of the room.


Charyic was looking baffled, and her lips were twisted as if she could barely restrain herself from speaking the word “wife.”


Malav pulled his hood back and looked baffled himself as she began to laugh. She covered her face. And bent over and finally, her laughter subsided with a sigh.


He grinned. “Out of the frying pan and into a very confusing fire?”


She looked up at him as if he had read her mind.


“The staff. It allows me to feel you. I have come to know you.” Malav spoke almost gently.


He watched as Charyic looked at the staff as if it had betrayed her somehow. He laughed. And then his heart caught in his throat. She looked up at him with a smile. She thought him beautiful when he smiled and laughed like that. He hunted for words, feeling frustrated as she looked away and the awkward silence extended.


When Cerik came to fetch her for her bath he felt her relief and it made him grind his teeth. She noticed. He half smiled as she thought at him not to do that. “You’re relieved to escape my presence. It isn’t pleasant for me.” His smile returned as he felt her apologeticness, and turned once more into laughter as he felt her contemplate an invitation to speak to her in the bath. “If I could summon words.”


Her curious expression and her thoughts made him envious, she did not know why it was so hard.


As she bathed he spoke to Cerik, who prodded him to simply speak. He had an advantage most men did not, the staff would help him judge her reactions to his words. Cerik also advised honesty where he could, saying that this girl seemed like the type to appreciate it. Malav nodded thoughtfully.


When she returned clean and fresh, dressed in traveling clothes and looking like a vision of beauty he took a breath and spoke, “My wife, you are a vision of larcenous loveliness.”


She grinned and made a mocking bow.


“Do not tease me, Charyic. Your respect is as important to me as your love.”


She blushed and nodded inclining her head more respectfully. She wished to know, why. Why he wanted her love, why he wanted to marry a thief. He felt her debating whether or not to think about her past, her childhood in the slums of Belasenden.


“I know of it.” She looked at him with apprehension when he spoke. He chose to give her the truth. “I wanted you for my wife when I heard you sing. I was given the choice to claim you or not. You are,” He hesitated. She did not like the thought that he wanted her for her song. “You a worthy wife. I knew it when I saw you look at me with fury, when I watched you break your own finger to prove you would not betray the King of Fools. You are fierce and strong-willed.” Malav smiled a dour smile. “You beat and robbed a Light Bringer.” His face split in a vicious grin at the memory that came unbidden, “You can be taught to kill properly.” He grinned at her despite the unhappy look she gave him and after a moment she shook her head and gave him a half smile.


Their conversation was cut short as Cerik returned with news that the Light Bringers had fetched the horse and wanted to speak with him. Malav felt Charyic looking for a place to hide or a way to escape.


“Tell them that if they’ve brought the thief for me to take to task, I will see them. I would have what is owed me.”


Cerik bowed. “At once, my Prince.”


Malav looked back at the impressed Charyic. Her approval was sweeter than any confection he had ever tasted. “That pleases me more than you know, my wife.”


She blushed and smiled at him still feeling confused. He was a Prince and a beautiful one, why would he ever look at her like that. He burned to push her onto the bed and show her how much her thoughts pleased him. The desire in his black opal eyes made her cheeks color and she looked away, uncertain of how his hot gaze made her feel.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 26, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay