Agreement

Agreement

A Chapter by Isemay

Even with a divine mandate to fetch the blessed of Anyk, the Light Bringers found it difficult to gather allies. Peace had been kind and there were enough left who remembered the stories of war with the northern kingdoms. What would have taken an agonizing few months to organize now began to look as if it would take years. Esus had begun to put the thoughts of his Charyic returning out of his mind. The song would never come to pass.


His heart was heavy and he returned to Lallareth and his birds. Ivhir had kept her knife and her delicate tools and gave them to him on his return. He kept them. No one disturbed him in the bird cotes unless it was absolutely necessary. By withdrawing he prevented word of the blossoming war in the north from reaching him.

Miryil was the one to bring him the news. They had not been able to gather enough allies, but it hadn’t been necessary. Malav had retreated to what was once, and now again, Luzeron and begun to gather an army. King Iotav had named his second son, Ayred, his successor and war was imminent.


The Black Prince had not been loved in Cearazon but in Luzeron his claim on the crown was undisputed, and the nobles and their armies backed him. They had recalled their troops from Cearazon and King Iotav was left with only two thirds of his forces. And they were not eager to go up against the third from Luzeron. They had a well earned reputation for skill and discipline that stood out even among the well trained ranks of Cearazon, and before they had been defeated, Luzeron had been known for making total war.


The Holy Father had suggested sending a delegation to King Iotav to offer the Light Bringers’ assistance. Miryil had come to ask if he wished to be a part of it.


Esus was more than willing. He joined the delegation at Gaelel and travelled with them to Cearaden.


They received a cool welcome. When they finally gained an audience with the King and his son, in the grand throne room the Light Bringers were wary.


“You come before me to offer your assistance, I am told?” King Iotav looked down on them with the same disdain his son had shown. “Yet you were trying to marshal forces against me only a few months ago. Explain yourselves.” The tone of his command carried the threat of punishment if the answer was not to his liking.


“We intended to fetch back the chosen of Anyk. A young woman by the name of Charyic. Her song is required. It was not and is not you we have quarrel with, your Majesty.” The Light Bringer charged with speaking to the King struck a careful tone, one that did not show weakness but made it clear they did not wish to provoke him.


The King looked at him speculatively. “I was told that Malav stole her from you, having met the little wretch I wouldn’t have expected you to be eager for her return.”


“Her song is what we require. The girl herself is a thief and would-be murderess.” Her tone suggested agreement with the King’s assessment.


“And if you fetch her before this war has been brought to a close? Will your forces leave the field and lessen our advantage?”


“That would depend on the agreement we strike, your Majesty.” Her mirrored eyes glittered as she returned the King’s smug smile.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on July 28, 2017
Last Updated on July 28, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay