Vanished

Vanished

A Chapter by Isemay

Vanished was the word Malav kept hearing. His staff, his wife, and his prisoner. Vanished.


The horse she had ridden to him on was found. All of the horses in his stables were accounted for. Even if Esus had turned into a bird and flown away, his wife and his staff should be somewhere nearby. Vanyic’s father was scouring every inch of the castle and men were hunting the grounds and sparse woods for any trace of her.


Word reached him just before mid-morning of the barrage at the Dragon’s Head Pass. Malav was torn. He wanted to be there to share in his victory, but if he left before his wife was found Vanyic’s father might have her flogged before his return. The man was enraged.


It was Cerik who finally persuaded him. “Go, your Majesty. I will manage the search. Your lady wife doesn’t know the area and I doubt she can hide for long. Lord Varnus will not have her killed while she’s carrying a child owed to Malies.”


“Lord Varnus will not have her killed at all.” He looked at his servant speculatively, the man’s face was carefully neutral.


“Of course.”


“You believe I will allow my wife to be killed.”


“There have been rumors, sire.” Cerik’s voice was cool.


“I need her. I love her, Cerik. I would never-” Malav saw the look on Cerik’s face, disbelieving and deceitful. “You’ve spoken with her. She must have overheard Vanyic.” He paused as he felt a gnawing certainty taking root. “You’ve hidden her from me.”


Cerik met his gaze fiercely. “There have been rumors, your Majesty, since you put aside the one woman who loved you, that you plotted her death.”


“Vanyic loved me.” Malav hissed.


Cerik looked at him with pity, “Vanyic received reports from Lady Charyic’s maid on the things that you enjoyed about her, the things that she did that showed her love. Vanyic seduced you to become Queen.”


“Liar!” Malav lashed out at the man and knocked him from his feet.


Looking up from the floor Cerik spoke bitterly, “Why do you think Charyic stoved in her maid’s head? She rode here to warn you, to save you from Vanyic. Instead, she found you in bed with her and planning her death.” The man got slowly to his feet. “She wept. Your orders were to make certain she was unharmed. I did not believe she would be unharmed for long if she stayed with you.”


Malav was momentarily speechless with fury but he gathered himself quickly. “Where is she?” Cerik looked away from him and Malav grabbed the man’s head and bashed it into the wall. “Where?!”


Cerik slumped to the floor his face bloodied as Malav shouted angrily from the door for someone to fetch Lord Varnus. When Varnus arrived Malav was still standing over Cerik looking incensed.  


“He hid my wife from me.” Malav watched Varnus shrink back from his wrathful gaze. “Where would he have hidden her?”


“I-I don’t…” Varnus stuttered and Malav watched the wheels turning in his mind. “Cerik knows this place. He’s served here before. He probably sent her down through the tunnel.”


“The tunnel?” Malav studied his face as he spoke.


“It was an escape route. One of the first Kings believed there should always be a way out of the castle if it was needed. Should he need to send his Queen or children to safety. It hasn’t been used in well over a hundred years, your Majesty. There’s no way of knowing if it’s even still intact.” Varnus looked at Cerik speculatively. “Why would he have-”


“Where does the tunnel end?” Malav spoke coldly.


“It opens into a cavern near the fortress she was kept in. I will have soldiers search the area for her at once, your Majesty.” Varnus seemed eager.


“No. You will go and oversee my victory. I require my wife alive, she carries my staff.” He looked at the Lord pointedly, “And my child.”


Lord Varnus bowed. “As you wish, sire.”


Malav smiled coldly, “I expect a thorough report.” He stalked from the chamber barking orders for Cerik to be relocated to the cells and for men to be sent into the tunnel from this end to be certain his wife was not trapped in it and hiding. He made it clear he needed her alive and well, the prisoner with her could be harmed to ensure her good behavior. A group of soldiers that knew of the cavern near the fortress were enlisted to guide him and help him search. He would find her.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 2, 2017
Last Updated on August 2, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay