Worry

Worry

A Chapter by Isemay

The longer she waited the stronger the feeling of uneasiness grew. Charyic could feel something out of place, something wrong. She had nothing to do but sit and wait. She couldn’t leave the room.


By the time the sun had set she had been sick out of the window half a dozen times. There was nothing left to come up, but her body still tried to force it. She stayed on the windowsill, partly because she hoped the cool air would help, and partly because she was afraid if she stepped away she might have to rush back.


The timid knock on her door told her that it wasn’t Esus before it was opened. Ivhir said something about the dark and she didn’t bother to turn her head.


“Charyic?” He had lit a lamp and brought it over to her. “Are you…” He touched her face. “You’re freezing. Come out of the window.”


In response, she leaned out and dry heaved, saliva and some stomach acid spilled out and she spat trying to get the strings of spit to detach.


Ivhir pulled her back in and began to murmur, touching her face before resting a hand on her round belly. “You’ve made yourself sick with worry. Esus is going to be upset when he comes back and sees you like this.” He gently lifted her down from the windowsill.


“Comes back?” Her throat was raw and her voice was little more than a rasp. He left?


“The Holy Father sent him out as a scout, we need to know where Malav’s army is, how much time we have to prepare.” Ivhir sat her down on the bed and began looking for something. “Where is your water basin.”


Curling on the bed Charyic pulled a pillow against her face and sobbed. He left. Malav would kill him. Ivhir tried to pull the pillow away from her and she wailed. The man jumped back as if he’d been stabbed and left her to her sobbing. Sometime later when she could barely breathe from the heaving sobs she felt a hand touch her head and she took a deep shuddering breath and slid immediately into sleep.


She woke in the night to an uncomfortable almost painful feeling like a side stitch coupled with a tightening in her abdomen making her whimper. Ivhir was at her side with a ball of light in his hand in a moment.


“Are you awake? What’s…” He looked at the way she was holding her belly.


“It hurts, it’s-” It felt like her belly was getting hard and bulging.


“Stay here.” He bolted leaving her in the dark.


Charyic tried to breathe and the feeling seemed to pass after a few breaths. She rubbed her belly and tried to sit up. The room felt too warm, and she was so thirsty. Something began pushing up against her ribs painfully prompting her to stand. She tried to walk to the window to open it but it seemed someone had pulled the top latch down. She leaned her face against the cool glass and closed her eyes.


Ivhir came rushing back in startling her. “I told you to stay.” He touched her face, “Are you feeling sick again?”


“Too hot.” Her mouth was as dry as dust.


“She needs water.” The older Light Bringer nodded to the young woman with him and she darted out. “You were vomiting earlier?”


Nodding, Charyic let him lead her back to the bed.


“She’s dehydrated, and as upset as she was, I’m not surprised she had some contractions.” He moved his hand over her belly from top to bottom and around the sides. “There’s no harm done but she needs to drink, and getting something into her stomach wouldn’t be a bad idea either.”


“You’re sure, Alok?” Ivhir was standing at the foot of the bed looking anxious.


“I’m sure, Ivhir.” The older man ran his hand over her head. “She’s not crying anymore, but she’s still distraught.”


She looked up at the man, “Malav is going to kill him.” Charyic’s voice was hoarse and she could feel her eyes starting to burn but there weren’t any tears that could fall.


“No! Esus will be fine, Charyic.” Ivhir looked horrified. “He’s just going to fly and have a look around.”


“Malav caught him once. I had to kill two guards and we-” Her head tingled as Alok rubbed her head.


“That’s enough of that. You need to be calm and relaxed.” When he pulled his hand away she felt fuzzy and dazed.


“What did you do?” Ivhir asked quietly.


“I made her calm.”


“I’ve brought water, and herbs and honey for tea.” The young woman came in with her hands full, looking at her she reminded vaguely Charyic of a girl she knew from home. “I told the kitchen to make some soup in case she’s well enough to eat.”


“Well done, Ametel.” The older man smiled at her warmly. “I’ll make the tea, you look her over, tell me what you see.”


“She’s been crying, her eyes are red. She looks… dazed.” The woman turned and frowned at Alok. “You did that thing again.”


“She needed to be calmed. Smell her breath.”


“She’s been throwing up too, I can smell that from here.” Ametel’s tone was annoyed. “What made her sick?”


“Worry. She’s convinced Esus is going to be killed.” Ivihir walked to the window and back to the foot of the bed before adding with frustration, “He wasn’t meant to be gone this long.” The agitated words started to bring Charyic out of her daze.


“If you can’t be calm and silent you will have to leave.” Alok’s words were quiet but sharp edged.


Charyic shook her head trying to clear the fog and the uncomfortable tightening began again. Whimpering again she wrapped her arms around her now painfully hardening belly.


“Deep breaths, on your feet. Lean on me if you need to.” Ametel was helping her gently out of the bed.


“She doesn’t look good, Alok.” Ivhir’s dismay was palpable as he came over to her.


“Out.” Alok had opened his mouth but Ametel was quicker. “You’re making it worse.”


“Agreed.” Alok brought a cup of water and an empty cup and set them on the table by the bed. He looked at Ivhir pointedly until the taller man left looking embarrassed. “I’d open the window but someone managed to vomit on the stonework below it and it will stink until they find a way to clean it.”


Breathing deeply and leaning on Ametel as the unpleasant feeling passed, Charyic managed to find the energy to give the older man a dirty look.


“You’re feeling better already, I see.” He spoke dryly as he handed her the cup of water. “Drink this.”


Ametel stayed next to her as she sipped the water. The cool wetness made her mouth feel better. When the cup was empty, Ametel took it and arranged the pillows so that she could sit up comfortably on the bed to sip at the tea that Alok was bringing.

Tea with honey, cut with water to make it cool, half a bowl of soup from the kitchen, and another cup of water and Charyic began to feel ill again. Alok rested his hand on her head and she fell back to sleep.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay