Comfortable

Comfortable

A Chapter by Isemay

Ivhir was starting to wonder how long the Holy Father required to talk to Charyic. It was nearly time for lunch and he had not yet come out. He was debating knocking and inquiring when the steward came to find him.


“There were a great many things the Holy Father required to be put into place today. I need his guidance, is he still being monopolized?” The man looked annoyed and Ivhir gestured to the door gratefully.


“I’ve been debating whether or not to knock and inquire myself.”


The steward snorted and shook his head, knocking briskly and opening the door.


The sight of the Holy Father asleep on the cot was a surprise. He snored softly and didn’t stir at the intrusion.


“Shut the door, you’re making a draft,” Charyic mumbled from her pillows, the girl started trying to pull her blanket up, getting comfortable again.


“Why is the Holy Father asleep?” Ivhir whispered to her incredulously, as he shut the door.


“Isemal said his presence is taxing.” The eyes peering out of the pillows looked like the mirror polished silver of a Light Bringer's for a moment but it must have been a trick of the light. “He’s really nice. Sweet.”


The steward looked at her with his mouth hanging open and promptly closed it. “You are brightly blessed, indeed. It’s nearly time for lunch, how long have you been sleeping?”


She yawned and stretched, “Shortly after breakfast, I think. We talked when I’d finished eating.”


“For how long?” Ivhir asked, unable to contain his curiosity.


“Longer than I had thought possible.” The Holy Father murmured looking up at them reproachfully. He yawned and began to sit up, obviously still tired. “They had a very comfortable conversation. I have to admit to being envious.” Ivhir helped him stand and the Holy Father looked to Charyic, “You truly call Wyil ‘grandfather’?”


She smiled, sitting up in her pillows, “Yes. I usually call him The King of Fools with people who aren’t family though.”


The Holy Father laughed and rubbed his face. “Family.” He looked at Ivhir with a wry smile. “Whatever she requires, see to it.” Ivhir blinked and opened his mouth to inquire what that meant when the Holy Father turned back to the madly grinning girl. “You will behave.”


Her insincere look of wounded innocence was met with a raised eyebrow. She sighed and nodded, grinning again, “Yes, your holiness. I will behave. I won’t even empty your treasury while I do it.”


He sighed and Ivhir noticed the faint smile. “Temple, baths, and kitchens, and please use the doors.”


“Yes, Holy Father.” Charyic sounded almost cheerful.


Ivhir followed the Holy Father and the steward out in bafflement. “What…?”


“If Malav had understood what he had, he would have kept her chained when he was not with her. When Esus returns he will not be disturbed again unless there is unequivocally no other choice. In the meantime, anything she requires consider permission to be granted. Money for offerings, food from the stores, and she goes under guard when she leaves her room.” The Holy Father’s tone brooked neither argument nor discussion.


“Understood.” Ivhir was still baffled at the why but the orders were clear.


He could hear the steward being told to get the scaffolding down immediately as they walked away.


Stepping back in, Ivhir saw Charyic yawning and curling in her pillows again. He was considering asking her about the conversation when someone began knocking insistently at the door. He turned to answer it as Miryil opened the door.


“Miryil.” He noticed that she was staring at Charyic with barely concealed animosity. “Out.”


The surly Light Bringer turned to look at him with surprise and disapproval. “I came to invite you to lunch.”


“I’ll be eating with Charyic. She-”


“Confined to her rooms properly this time?” Miryil sounded smug. “I’m sure we can find another guard.”


“She’s guarded for her protection, not as punishment. And she’s permitted to go to the temple, the baths, and the kitchens with a guard.” He gave her a hard look, “Don’t lay hands on her like you did earlier if you see her outside of the palace unless you want to speak to the Holy Father about it.”


Miryil’s annoyed shrug wasn’t reassuring. “Why is she permitted to go to the kitchens and not the dining hall?”


Ivhir blinked. He hadn’t realized that. “I didn’t ask.”


“You didn’t realize it.” Miryil snorted. “Socializing with thieves isn’t something we should be doing anyway. You should keep guard outside of the room.”


“Out, Miryil.”


She shrugged again and walked out of the room as if she couldn’t care less, but Ivhir knew she was annoyed and whatever she had come for she hadn’t gotten it.


“They probably will start talking if you stay in here with me as much as Esus did.” Charyic was peering over her pillows.


“Why are you hiding in your pillows?”


She laughed. “It’s surprisingly comfortable.” Grinning impishly at him she added, “I’d say I’d like the whole bed covered in heaps of them but then I’d never find my way out.”


He shook his head trying not to laugh. “Do you want lunch?”


“I would love some, anything but fish.” She didn’t move to get up.


“You’re coming with me to the kitchens.” He grinned at the annoyed sigh and watched as she worked her way out of her pillow pile.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay