Breakfast

Breakfast

A Chapter by Isemay

Ivhir left Esus sitting miserably against the door to Charyic’s room. He’d been told where she could go and that she had to be guarded, and Ivhir knew from the look on Esus face that she wasn’t going anywhere without the stout Light Bringer on her heels.


Charyic had wanted breakfast on the way back to the palace, but the smell of vinegar for pickling eggs in the kitchen had sent her scurrying for her room. Sending some food up for her might get her to open the door for Esus. Ivhir was almost certain all the man needed was a chance to soothe her.


He went to the kitchen to inquire about breakfast for Charyic and they sent him to the dining hall. As Ivhir was leaving, the head cook had nodded and pointed to vat they had taken off of the fire, “I told you, if you want to keep a pregnant woman from raiding your kitchen, pickle eggs.” Ivhir had almost choked trying to swallow his laughter. The Holy Father would either have to speak to the cooks or send her to the dining hall for meals.


In the dining hall, he took a tray and began to fill it with the things he’d seen her eat. Several slices of bread, what might have been half of a chicken’s worth of meat, a slice of cheese for each slice of bread, he put a boiled egg on the plate as well. She always avoided the sausage. More butter and jam than one person should need, in little cups. He balanced the tray on his arm contemplating taking an entire pitcher of milk as she had.


“I haven’t seen you eat so much in years, Ivhir.” Erech dryly teased. “I think you forgot your sausage.”


“It’s for Charyic, they’re trying to banish her from the kitchens by pickling eggs.” He grinned at Erech for a moment.


“You abandoned your post to fetch her highness some food?” Miryil’s sour tones came from behind him. The woman could turn a conversation into an ambush with ease.


“Don’t call her that. Especially now that Esus is back. He’s sitting outside her door, for now, she can’t go anywhere without him on her heels.”


“Outside?” Erech sounded surprised.


“He needs a way to apologize, food might work.” He gestured to the tray with his free hand. “She usually steals milk by the pitcher from the kitchen. Would you lend me a hand Erech? If we take two cups maybe she’ll share it with Esus.”


“I’ll carry it.” Miryil coolly offered.


“No, you aren’t going anywhere near her, Miryil.” He turned to give Miryil a hard look, “She doesn’t need a beating or a verbal lashing.”


Miryil looked offended. “I’m not a monster and I’m not going to hurt her Ivhir.”


Ivhir shook his head. “No.”


Miryil stalked away to get her own breakfast without further argument. Ivhir watched her and wondered if he’d been too harsh. She could be rough but she was right, she wasn’t a monster.


Erech took a pitcher and two cups. “Do you think you have enough?”


Shaking his head in response and to clear it of his thoughts, Ivhir gave a short laugh, “No, she’s small but she eats like a horse.”


“Small wonder they want her to stay out of the kitchens,” Erech said with a smile. “If breakfast doesn’t get him in the door, she did want some confections from the market. I can fetch them for Esus. Sweets to sweeten her disposition.”


“That could be a good idea. She’s gotten into the locked box with the melting chocolate at least once already. She seemed to think the lock was an invitation.”


Esus was still sitting forlornly at the door when they brought the tray, pitcher, and cups. He stood and looked at it all as Ivhir put the tray into his hands, Esus balanced it, finding a corner for the cups and took the pitcher as well before turning toward the door with determination. Ivhir knocked loudly and he and Erech grinned at each other before running down the hall.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay