Opening the door

Opening the door

A Chapter by Isemay

Charyic was shaking after she threw them out. She wanted to hit Esus as much as she wanted to kiss him and she couldn’t think straight. He was safe. He was back. She crawled into her pillows and used one to muffle her relieved sobs. They didn’t last long, she was drying her eyes and calming her breathing when a loud knock startled her.


She climbed out of bed and cracked the door cautiously. Food. It would require opening the door.


Hesitantly, Esus offered, “I can bring it in for you, I won’t stay if-”


She closed the door to think for a moment. With a sigh, she opened the door again and took the tray from him. “Stay out.” She took the tray and set it on the bed and returned for the pitcher. He stood watching her looking apologetic as she closed the door again.


Looking at the amount of food that was on the tray, and noticing that there were two cups, Charyic wondered if she were supposed to share with Esus. Ivhir had probably intended her to. She couldn’t help but wonder if Esus had eaten yet.


She went back to the door and cracked it, “Have you eaten?” She blinked realizing he was sitting with his back against the door.


“No.” His answer was quiet but hopeful.


“You’re not coming in.” Charyic wanted to be clear. He stood and was starting to smile.


She opened the door and handed the milk back to him. Turning to bring the tray back to the door she looked at his smiling face and shook her head. “Sit. We’ll put the tray in the doorway.”


Esus looked as though he were trying not to laugh and that made her angry. “I could just eat and let you have the tray afterward.” She snapped at him.


He winced. “No, my beauty. Forgive me, I just.” He sat with his legs crossed facing into the room and set the pitcher on the floor next to him.


Charyic handed him the tray and sat against the wall next to the door. Esus helpfully slid the tray toward her. They ate in silence until Esus began to speak.


“I’m sorry, Charyic. I should have told you. I didn’t think I would be gone long and the task was urgent.” He sounded earnest and she closed her eyes and shook her head.


She had deliberately sat so that she wouldn’t have to look at him, and he couldn’t see her face. It took a moment before she could reply.


“Why didn’t you?” She wanted to be cold and made of stone but she felt like she was going to dissolve in her churning sea of feelings.


“I thought,” he paused, “I thought you would delay me. You would try to keep me from going and we needed to know immediately where Malav was.”


She gritted her teeth and just tried to keep her breathing steady. She probably would have.


“I thought you would be safe, that you might be angry with me, but you would…” he sounded lost. “I didn’t know you would…”


“You didn’t know I would worry myself sick over you?” Charyic was shaking again. “That the thought of losing you would break my heart?” She tried to breathe as the uncomfortable feeling of something hitting her ribs from the inside started to prod her to stand. Getting up from the floor wasn’t as easy as it used to be and Charyic came to her hands and knees for a moment. Esus practically leapt into the room to help her.


“What’s wrong, my beauty, pain?” He sounded worried.


Charyic snorted. “When I sit like that she hits me in the ribs. I don’t think she has enough space.”


“She has enough space. She’s just as active as her mother, she wants more.” Esus brought her to her feet carefully and moved his hand over her belly as Alok had done, checking to be sure everything was in order before he relaxed. “You shouldn’t be on the floor, I’ll pull the cot to the doorway.”


She watched him, debating just letting him come in and eat on the bed with her. Before she had an answer he had moved the cot across the doorway, preventing the door from closing and moved back to the outside. She grabbed some of her pillows and found a way to make herself comfortable lying on the cot on her side. Esus was looking as if he wanted to laugh again.


“If I sit again she’ll just hit me in the ribs.” Charyic offered feeling annoyed.


“You’ve been eating lying down?” His crooked smile was almost a grin.


“I’ve been eating propped up on my pillows.” She narrowed her eyes.


“Malav must have spoiled her rotten, she’s been treated like a princess and still been nothing but trouble.” Miryil frowned as she came to stand in the doorway.


Esus came immediately to his feet. “Leave.” Charyic stopped as she was trying to get off of the cot without falling. He looked furious.


“Someone needs to discuss respectfulness and proper behavior with her, and since no one else is willing I will do it.” The taller woman squared off against Esus. “Someone also needs to pump her for information about Malav and make certain she isn’t intending to keep serving Malies or Wyil during her stay.”


“You know nothing at all about her behavior and you will not be discussing anything with her. Leave, Miryil.” His hands were in fists.


“Don’t make me embarrass you in front of her Esus. You know what I’m capable of.” Miryil dropped her voice, “Take a walk. I won’t hurt her as long as she behaves herself.”


Charyic stood up ready to fight, but Esus had already swung. The two Light Bringers brawled in the hall causing a commotion as others came to break them apart. When they were dragged apart, Esus had a split lip and Miryil a bloodied nose and neither looked as though they were ready to let the fight go.


Stepping into the hall, Charyic began to give orders, “One of you go fetch the steward, this is something the Holy Father will need to deal with. You can take Miryil with you to separate them, Esus will be staying with me.”


“Issues between Light Bringers is not a matter taken to the Holy Father.” One of the Light Bringers tried to explain to her.


She turned on him furiously, “This issue is. He is the one who can resolve it. If you make me take it to him myself you will not like the report I give.”


The man blinked in surprise and stepped back. Looking to the others as if for support. “Did you see?”


“We’ll take her.” The woman holding Miryil said with a frown.


“Good. Do it now.” Charyic glowered at them. She turned and looked at Esus who was wiping the blood from his mouth and healing the wound with a murmur. “In.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay