Forgiven

Forgiven

A Chapter by Isemay

The Holy Father rubbed his head, “You were told Miryil, your conduct was unacceptable and you persisted. Why?”


The Light Bringer stood stone-faced before him. She had been one of his better students, perhaps more strict than she should be at times but her zeal could be forgiven. “And Charyic’s conduct?” Miryil’s tone was just shy of disrespectful.


“Is not your concern.” He fixed her with a sharp look as a muscle in her jaw twitched. “You were told she requires kindness, that she is favored-”


“And consequences?” Miryil snapped. “‘Kindness without discipline is no kindness at all.’ That was what you taught me. She’s been treated like a princess and she still doesn’t stop getting into trouble. You can’t know what gods she serves as devious as she is. And she was closer to Malav than anyone why is no one-”


He brought his hand down on the desk with a loud crack. “What trouble has she gotten into?”


Miryil blinked counting off her list on her fingers, “She was out in the markets alone. She stole Ivhir’s knife. It’s rumored you opened the temple early to prevent her from breaking in. The cooks are pickling eggs to keep the little thief from raiding the stores.”


Sighing, the Holy Father shook his head. “She had permission to go to the temple, that she prefers to go when she might be alone has been permitted by the gods, not by me.” He took in her stunned expression. “As for stealing Ivhir’s knife, he left her no choice. It has since been used in Isemal’s service by the priestess of Ayil, Charyic did as she was intended. She serves well even when she is unaware.” Miryil looked thoughtful. “As for the stores she was granted permission, she is to have whatever she requires. I will have to speak with the cooks.”


Ivhir was shown in and the Holy Father saw the look of dawning apprehension as he looked at Miryil.


“Where are Charyic and Esus?” The Holy Father coolly inquired.


“Her room, I think.” Ivhir stared at Miryil. “What happened.”


“You were not at your post?”


Ivhir winced. “I thought I should give them some time alone. She was keeping Esus outside of the room and I thought that if I weren’t there she would have to rely on Esus.” He looked sheepish, “I was trying to help him get back into her good graces.”


“She had him sitting outside the door, with the tray on the floor between them.” Miryil gave the Holy Father a disapproving look. “As much as he’s done for her.”


“Erech went into the market to bring back some sweets, if Esus has something to sweeten her disposition with…” He shrugged.


“Rewarding her for her-” Miryil stopped as the door opened and Esus and Charyic entered. He couldn’t help but noticed the sharp look she shot to Charyic and the way that Esus’ face hardened.


“Charyic?” The Holy Father inquired looking at her with a cool neutral expression.


“I apologize, your holiness, if I disturbed anything important, but you are the only person who can resolve this.” Charyic gave him a half smile. “I know why she hates me. I don’t expect anything else from her.” She shook her head and her short hair fell around her face, “But if she fights with Esus again Isemal is going to lose one of his Light Bringers if I have to steal a knife and kill her in her sleep.” Her green-gold eyes were as hard as granite.


“Apologize.”


“I’m sorry?” She looked at him with some confusion.


“Whatever you did to Miryil, apologize.”


Charyic looked at the floor and then nodded. “I probably should have thought of that before.” The Holy Father watched, feeling the amusement bubbling inside him as she turned to face Miryil, still holding Esus’ arm. “I apologize for robbing you. The first time I was afraid of you. You tried to grab me and I was not going to walk back into Anyk’s cage willingly. I took your things more because I didn’t want to be stopped leaving the city than out of any intention to sell them.” Miryil appeared to be listening with interest. “But when I met up with some other thieves, I shared and traded away most of them so that I could travel lightly and wouldn’t need to take the road. The star from your armor was my thanks to the King of Fools for the luck it took to get out of Anykrocath. When things line up, he usually has a hand in it.”


The Holy Father could feel the smile crossing his face.


“I didn’t do it to spite you. And the second time I robbed you and left you for dead.” Charyic winced and lifted a hand from Esus arm to rub the back of her neck. “You said you had my blood and that you’d hunt me down. All I wanted to do was get away, and the only way I could see to do that was to make sure you couldn’t hunt me.” To her credit Charyic did look apologetic, “I knew I hadn’t hit the right spot to kill you quickly but I couldn’t bring myself to try again. I don’t-I don’t like killing. No decent thief should have to, but we learn because things don’t always go perfectly. I did make sure you were unconscious. I didn’t want you to suffer.” She sighed and shrugged with a half smile, “I am sorry. Even though I would probably do everything exactly the same again.”


Miryil looked as though she were debating accepting it but after a moment’s silence, she said curtly, “I accept your apology, I wouldn’t change my actions either.” She looked to Esus and added, “Except perhaps for fighting with Esus.”


Charyic laughed and nodded. “Fair enough.” She looked back to the Holy Father as if for approval and he nodded.


“Miryil, because you have too much fire to listen and control yourself near Charyic, you will be assigned to the wall. Your desire to protect will be best utilized there.” The Holy Father made certain his tone was not retaliatory.


Miryil bowed deeply. “As you command.”


After she left the Holy Father inquired, “Have you forgiven Esus yet, or is he still being punished?”


Esus’ ears turned red and Charyic’s face flushed as she answered, “He’s been punished, but I may do it again later to make my point.” Her impish grin and playful tone coupled with Esus expression of embarrassed anticipation told him that whatever the punishment might be it was something Esus enjoyed.


“Good.” Isemal was pleased. “Ivhir will be guarding you both.”


Charyic looked appalled, “In the room?”


Ivhir seemed to have a coughing fit.


“Outside will be fine as long as you both use the door.” The Holy Father reassured her trying not to let his amusement show. “Choose three others to help you, Ivhir.”


“Thank you, Holy Father.” Ivhir bowed with a smile.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay