Traitors

Traitors

A Chapter by Isemay

It was no secret to Malav that none of the younger lords were pleased with his rule. The three on the path from Luzoron had lost their fathers to his advance. The fourth had lost his in what they referred to as the Horror at the Dragon’s Head Pass. All four had joined his army of the dead.


Malav felt a certain sort of pleasure in knowing their sons would soon do the same. He would put each one of them on the tip of his sword and use them to their full potential. It would make seeking out more men to recruit to his dead army easier. Beginning with at least a small contingent of traitors would make the creation of dead Arilel soldiers less costly. As well as aid in keeping a loyal living army intact until they were needed.


The supply lines were well-planned and the quartermasters had a surplus to work with if the sacking of Isemalrocath should take longer than anticipated. He had Cerik arrange for tasters, loyal guards, and servants, all from Luzoron to stand beside him. The man was invaluable, Malav almost regretted having elevated him.


He commanded Beris, Cerik’s newest replacement, to have Lord Gorrus brought to him. His time in the cells should have given him time to think about the way he spoke of Queen Charyic.


Malav’s anticipation quickly turned to impatience. He ran his fingers over the hilt of his sword and glared at the doorway. How long should it take to fetch a man from the cells?


Beris came back without Gorrus, bowing and trembling. “My-my King.”


“Beris. Was my order unclear?” Malav contemplated sending for Cerik.


“No, my King, the-the Lord Gorrus, I-I think it is Lord Gorrus-”


“Spit it out, man!” Malav slammed his hand on the table.


“There is a badly burned body in the cell belonging to Lord Gorrus.” The guard lingering in the doorway offered. Malav gestured for him to come in. “When I went with Beris to fetch him there were no guards standing watch, and the smell of burned flesh was overpowering. I don’t know when it was done, but parts of the body were ash and there is no way to tell by looking at it if that really is Lord Gorrus.”


Nodding pensively, Malav inquired, “Your name guardsman?”


“Trissan, my King.”


“Trissan, gather as many men as you require. I would have the Lords Tasar, Ascal, and Ioroth brought before me. Alive. If they're dead bring, the bodies.”


“Understood, my King.” Trissan bowed and Malav contemplated replacing Beris with the man if he returned successfully.


He turned his attention back to the terrified servant. “Beris, gather your wits and find out who was supposed to be standing guard.”


Beris bowed deeply and wordlessly slipped from the room.


This matter would be dealt with here, and then the army would be marching for Luzoron. It had been decided that the main body of it would take the closer path. He and his smaller force would be gathering dead along the longer route. They would meet before taking Isemalrocath.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay