Steel bells

Steel bells

A Chapter by Isemay

Charyic rubbed Esus’ head as he sang close to her belly. Little Esyil or Cerus, as she’d decided, felt like she was dancing she moved so much.


“She’s going to be as spoiled as I am.” She murmured as he finished and ran his hand over her belly.


“If I have two beauties to call my own, I’m the one that’s spoiled.” He laughed softly as he kissed her belly. Esyil pushed at him making him laugh louder and press his face closer to feel it.


“And if you get Cerus instead of Esyil?” She grinned at him.


He turned his head to grin back at her, his cheek still pressed to her round belly. “I will love him just the same, my beauty.” Charyic caressed his cheek and he caught her hand and held it there.


“I’m not sure who I owe for my good luck, grandfather, Ayil, or Isemal.”


“Anyk might like some consideration as well.” The woman’s voice made her look up sharply to see the Holy Father in the doorway with the priestess of Anyk Charyic had met before. She smiled sweetly and leaned against the older man’s side affectionately. “You’ve been missed at the temple.”


“I promised the Holy Father I wouldn’t empty his treasury and it’s rude to come without a gift.” Charyic gave the woman an impish grin.


“Did you always have something for ‘grandfather’?” The woman’s gaze sharpened slightly.


“When I was very small I would pick up pretty rocks or flowers for him, when I got older I tried to make sure I had something in my pockets any time I saw him or came across a shrine.” Charyic tried to give the priestess her best and brightest staying-out-of-trouble smile.


The woman looked to the Holy Father meaningfully and Charyic tried to sit up, unable to hide her curiosity. “Why?”


“It’s none of your concern, Charyic.” The Holy Father smiled faintly. He turned his head noticing Erech approaching the door tentatively with a small bag. “A change in the guard?”


Charyic could hear his reply. “No, Holy Father. She, ah, has a standing order with a sweets shop in the market.”


“You’re both welcome to come in and share.” The priestess of Anyk smiled warmly at her words. “I do have to warn you, Esus says my favorites are terrible.” She gave a mischievous grin.


“If Esus doesn’t mind the imposition.” The priestess turned her smile on him and he inclined his head.


“Not at all.” Esus had gone from lounging comfortably to sitting with his back sword-straight when they had made their presence known, and his assurance sounded almost adorably nervous to Charyic.


“Perhaps I might borrow Esus a moment?” The Holy Father interjected smoothly as if he had planned it.


Her hand was gripping Esus by the shirt before she realized it.


“My beauty. I won’t go far.” Esus turned and gave her a kiss. “If I have to leave the palace I will let you know before I go.” He murmured into her ear. She sighed and kissed him urgently and he leaned into the kiss, cupping her face. “I promise.”


“I love you, Esus. But I will make you sit outside for a week if you don’t.”


Esus laughed softly and stole another kiss before rising from the bed. “I don’t doubt you, my beauty.”


The priestess of Anyk looked as though she were trying not to laugh as she brought the small bag toward the bed, but Charyic was no longer in the mood for amusement. She watched Esus leave the room with the Holy Father and close the door behind him with a heavy sense of trepidation.


“He will be back. We just need time to talk.” The woman smiled hopefully, “May I?”


Charyic took a breath and nodded. “Please. Esus wanted to find a way to bring in a table and chairs but we rarely have guests and I,” Charyic blushed slightly with a wry smile, “like the bed.”


“He seems sweet enough to keep in bed.” She teased.


Laughing, Charyic blushed deeper, “It makes being mostly confined to my room bearable.”


The priestess settled onto the bed adjusting some spare pillows so that she was lounging facing Charyic. “You won’t be confined much longer.”  The woman seemed to study Charyic’s face. “Was there a song you didn’t sing for the Holy Father?”


“I think there was more than one.” Charyic began carefully pulling the wrapped confections from the cloth bag. She blinked at the note that fell out and the priestess picked it up quickly to glance it over. “What is that? Who is it from?”


“You don’t know?” The woman looked at her with a sharp curiosity that was almost off-putting.


“No. I don’t know who would send something… Unless it was Nyvor.” Charyic gave the paper a distrustful frown. “I don’t think he’s what he says he is. And I know I know him from somewhere but I can’t place him.”


The priestess handed her the note. Charyic, please forgive my forwardness. I have been hoping to see you again. Perhaps you would grace me with your presence if you can get away from the palace for an hour or two? You know where to find me, and I will be glad of your company at any hour. Nyvor


“What does he say he is?” The inquiry was gentle but Charyic could tell the woman did not intend to be put off.


Charyic leaned forward and glanced at the door, dropping to a whisper, “If he is what he says he is, he’s unwelcome here.” She looked at the priestess meaningfully, “But,” Charyic clucked softly and made the gestures for speaking and listening.


Leaning in the priestess smiled, “Anyk knows thieves, and you’re right, he isn’t one. What does he want from you?”


“He was trying to charm me and make me laugh. And it may have been an act, but he seemed concerned for my well-being.”


“You protected him just in case he might be a thief? Or because he seemed harmless?” She smiled wryly.


Unwrapping one of the small paper-wrapped confections parcels, Charyic sighed. “I miss seeing thieves, I miss grandfather. I wanted to think he might be one, just to know someone was nearby.” She met the priestess’ disapproving gaze without flinching. “You don’t understand, but I’d like to think Anyk might. If you met grandfather you might too.” She offered one of the sour-sweet confections.


Taking the round confection the priestess rolled it in her hands for a moment as her gaze turned inward. “She does understand. She wants to you sing the song you sang for the thieves in the wood.”


Charyic took a deep breath in. “I don’t think I like that one. Especially not now.”


The confection was handed back and Charyic looked at it with distaste before popping it into her mouth and biting down. She shuddered at the bitterness of it. Either Nyvor had sent poison or Anyk had changed it in her priestess’ hand. After a moment the bitterness eased and Charyic tasted notes of sweetness, it was almost pleasant. She opened her mouth to say so and the song spilled out.


The song of steel bells bitter

Bring sadness where they ring

Part the forlorn lovers

No gladness do they bring


I’ll tell you now, sweet sister

Hide your lover from the tone

It calls him to the banner

And the soldier’s cold gravestone


Hold him close against your breast

He’ll be called away too soon

In battle grim will he be pressed

The field with death bestrewn


My sister, long for silver bells

And sound of trumpets sweet

Hope and joy do they foretell

Swift end to war’s drumbeats


The priestess looked as though she’d been struck. “Is that,” She searched Charyic’s face, “Is there more?”


“I don’t-” Charyic exhaled in relief, “No, that’s it. I will bury Esus in my pillows if I have to.”


“It isn’t about Esus. It’s,” she paused and bit her lip. “Someone else.”


Taking in the distressed look on the woman’s face, Charyic asked, “Where are the bells?”


“In the temple. They summon the defenders to the walls.” The priestess sighed and took one of the confections, making a horrified face as she bit into it.


“Sour sweet. I don’t know what they are exactly but I can’t get enough of them.” Charyic smiled apologetically. “I did warn you.”


The priestess laughed and shook her head. “Are they all terrible?”


Opening the other packages until she found the right one, Charyic offered, “Esus likes these.” The pieces of chocolate bark with bits of other confections embedded in them looked odd, and Charyic couldn’t help but grin as the priestess picked one up and looked at her sceptically. “Try it!”


The woman’s face changed from scepticism to delight after tasting it. “I haven’t seen these before, I may have to pay Nyvor a visit for this alone. You’re not fond of them?”


“They’re good aren’t they?” Charyic smiled and shook her head. “I like them but I tell Esus I don’t. He gives me anything I want, and I want him to have some things he likes too. He’d try to share them if I didn’t pretend they were too sweet.” Her smile faded. “You’re certain the song doesn’t mean Esus? I can steal the bells or at least the clappers and keep them from ringing. You just have to let me into the temple.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay