Cautioned

Cautioned

A Chapter by Isemay

The Holy Father felt slightly guilty about sending Esus out to scout and report if anything had changed. Ametel was busy helping Alok with a sickness in the city and there was no one except a guard on Charyic’s door to keep the girl occupied while Esus was absent. Having her join him for the midday meal would be a way to assuage that guilt and make certain she wasn’t pining or falling ill from worry in the process. He suggested to the steward that she join him and thought nothing more of it until the meal was laid.


“Did Charyic decline my invitation?” He testily asked the steward.


“She requested water and when it was brought she had laid down for a nap, I don’t think anyone has disturbed her to ask, Holy Father.”


“Asked for water?” The Holy Father felt a creeping certainty, “From the only guard on her door?”


The steward blinked. “She’s only permitted-”


Raising his hand, the Holy Father cut him off. “I don’t think I specifically told her to remain since Esus returned. My order was to remain until Esus returned to fetch her, that she’s done so since was likely because of his presence. He tried to warn me of that.”  He pinched the bridge of his nose. “Have her found.”


He had finished eating by the time word was brought that she was most certainly not in her bed and no one had seen her in the kitchens or baths. No one seemed to have seen her at all. He ordered the palace searched.


As he waited, distractedly looking over the day’s reports, he was notified that one of the priestesses of Ayil requested an audience. The Holy Father knew what she would say before he told the steward to send her in.


The smiling woman came into the chamber and bowed, “Holy Father, have you misplaced something?”


“You’ve found Charyic?” He sighed. Annoyance and relief battled for expression. “Where was the little troublemaker?”


“Stealing the clappers from the bells at the temple.” She spoke cheerfully.


The Holy Father gaped. “The bells? That summons-”


“The defenders to the walls, yes. And she refuses to say who hired her for the job. Perhaps Isemal might have more luck?” She smiled sweetly.


Esus had said he might find her in places he hadn’t expected and preferred she not be but the belfry? How did the round little thing even get into the temple unnoticed? He held his head in his hands for a moment. “You didn’t bring her with you?”


“Ayil isn’t going to miss this for the world.”


He couldn’t help but laugh. “I’d have thought she’d try to stay on Ayil’s good side.” Lifting his head he looked at the amused woman. “I’m interested to hear what she has to say for herself.”


Choosing to take a leisurely pace, the Holy Father hoped that Charyic would be spending the time in dread. His arrival at the temple, however, found her having a pleasant meal and apparently entertaining a gathering of priests and priestesses from all three of the gods with tales of misdeeds.


“So, he scared the entire flock out of the rafters, got himself covered in- there are ladies present let me be polite- excrement, and talked his way out of being thrown in a cell while wearing Lord Emish’s gold chain under his filthy shirt and holding the man’s hat in his hands!”


There was laughter and shaking of heads. “How?!”


“No one wanted to touch him to search him!” Charyic was grinning, “He was covered in sh-” She saw him and cleared her throat loudly, making a subtle Iskesh gesture for getting caught that set them laughing again.


“So glad to see you enjoying yourself, Charyic.” He fixed her with an icy stare and she gave him a bright hopeful smile. “What were you doing in the temple?”


“Just now? I was being charming and entertaining.” Mischievous little… Isemal was displeased with her, he could feel it and he hadn’t known it was possible.


“I require an honest answer.” He scowled at her. “Even Isemal is displeased with you.”


She sighed and inclined her head. “I was working. My job was to remove the clappers from the steel bells.”


“Why?”


“So they wouldn’t ring.” If she had been closer he might have slapped her for that flippant response.


“Who gave you this job? And why would you take it?”


She looked at her hands and shifted uncomfortably before she began to sing.


The song of steel bells bitter

Bring sadness where they ring

Part the forlorn lovers

No gladness do they bring


I’ll tell you now, sweet sister

Hide your lover from the tone

It calls him to the banner

And the soldier’s cold gravestone


Hold him close against your breast

He’ll be called away too soon

In battle grim will he be pressed

The field with death bestrewn


My sister, long for silver bells

And sound of trumpets sweet

Hope and joy do they foretell

Swift end to war’s drumbeats


He saw Charyic glance to Anyk’s priestess, the one he knew well. “Ah.”


“I wouldn’t have taken them out of the temple, just tucked them away. And you can find something other than the steel bells that will work just as well.” She looked at him with concern.


The Holy Father began to laugh and covered his eyes. He looked to Ayil’s pleased looking priestess. “This isn’t your doing?”


“No. But it seems like it should be.” She laughed and shook her head. “They get so attached.”


“No stealing. No leaving your room without your guard with you. And it’s been whispered to me, you have one offering and three gods to appease. I suggest you choose wisely.” He wanted to be harsher but Isemal was clear.


She eased herself from her position at the table to approach Anyk’s priestess, “I did try.” Charyic handed over her knife and the room brightened.


“You did. Ill-advisedly and at risk to yourself, I know who you enlisted to help you.” Anyk chided her and the Holy Father raised an eyebrow. “But you were trying to help one of mine,” she caressed Charyic’s face, “Iskus would be proud.”


Charyic’s smile looked almost childlike in its delight, she impulsively embraced the radiant woman making her laugh. Isemal pushed him gently back in his mind.


“Iskus might be proud, but I am not.”


Charyic looked sheepish. “I am sorry for disappointing you.” She took a deep breath and tilted her chin up. “But I am a thief, and the problem seemed to call for my skills.”


“Who helped you?”


Her chin lowered. “Vennius, but he wasn’t happy about it, he only did it to get on my good side. He believes Malav will take the city if he has to wait for people to starve to death to do so, and he wants to walk me out when the city starts to fall. The arrangement is for me to put in a good word for him or to allow Malav to believe he’s brought me back, whatever gets his life spared, so that he can assist me in stealing the sword.” He watched her studying his face for his reaction, and Isemal hid his approval.


“My city will not fall. Stay away from Vennius, my Charyic. Malies is clever.”


She bowed her head, “Understood.” Charyic glanced up nervously and opened her mouth before closing it again and looking at him worriedly.


“Speak.” He could feel amusement bubbling up.


“Does that mean I can’t keep ordering from his shop?”


“No one else makes those awful sweets you like?” The priestess of Anyk inquired with amusement.


Grinning, Charyic answered, “They’re not awful! Just not to everyone’s taste.”


“Not to anyone’s taste but yours, I asked.” The priestess smiled.


Charyic turned her hopeful gaze on him and the Holy Father sighed. “You trust him to make your food?”


“Your Holiness, if he makes anything at all himself I’m taller than Ivhir.” She flashed him another bright smile.


Giving her a stern look, the Holy Father clarified, “And if he orders poison put into the confections when he realizes how much trouble you are?”


She grimaced ruefully and nodded, “He truly believes Malav will take the city, your Holiness. Vennius may hate me almost as much as he hates Malav, I think, but he won’t risk Malav’s wrath. He’s a coward. I’m probably safe from him until Malav is no longer a threat.”


The Holy Father was baffled, “You admit that he hates you?”


“Oh, yes. He was glaring daggers at me until I coerced him into helping, and then he was just terrified. It went past the disdain he had for me in Luzoron.”


Luzoron. That was why Isemal warned her of Malies. It had almost slipped past him. “And you trust him?”


“Trust is a strong word. But I’m almost certain I can rely on his cowardice.” Almost certain. Wyil’s influence on her life was clear. The girl still relied heavily on luck. He would have this Vennius looked at closely and if he wasn’t promptly thrown in the cells, he’d be watched.


He looked to Ayil’s priestess with annoyance, “I will have your assistance in keeping this” he gestured at Charyic, “magpie safe?”


“Magpie?!” The priestess of Anyk sounded offended and Ayil’s smiled mischievously.


“Esus calls me a thieving magpie on occasion.” Charyic looked very amused. “I kind of like it. They’re clever birds!”


Pinching the bridge of his nose, the Holy Father sighed, “Back to the palace with you.” Esus would only be sent scouting when the need was urgent. He sent a silent prayer of thanks to Isemal for dissuading him from putting the man back on full duty.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay