Twelve

Twelve

A Chapter by Isemay

It was a cave. Dark and cool. Genevieve was wandering inside of it, narrow winding passages and dark bridges over rushing water she couldn’t see. She was looking for something. The smell of smoke got her attention, moving toward it, she woke up.


The room was dark and the bed felt gritty. Reaching out and feeling around, Remiel was there in an instant. 


“You’re awake, do you need anything? Is everything ok?” He was looking at her like she was about to fall apart.


“I could stand to get up and go pee. Why is the bed gritty?”


“Salt. Ethan said salt and smoke, I’ve had sage burning and,” he sighed looking exhausted. “I think there’s salt on every windowsill and inside every threshold in the building. I put it on the bed too just to be sure.”


“Are you alright? You look so tired. Are Ethan and Sage ok?” 


“They called an ambulance for Sage, he’s fine. They have no idea why he couldn’t wake up for awhile, they think he might possibly have been drugged. Brandon is losing his mind, I think. It looks like someone kidnapped you. The police want to ask Ethan some questions.”


“You’re going to have to send me back there or he’s-”


“You are NOT going back.” His eye had gone golden and the dark fur was sprouting from his skin as his face changed shape.


“I have been nothing but trouble since you met me. I am not going to let Ethan get into trouble or have Brandon call in the cops or the National Guard to come out here and hunt me down.” Genevieve tried to sit up, wanting to wrap her arms around him and try to soothe him, and found herself pinned back down almost before she could blink. “Getting up to go pee is out of the question then?”


His low growl made the hair on the back of her neck stand up. “I’m coming with you and you’re coming right back here.” 


“Deal. We can argue about me going back after that.” She winced as he shifted his weight.


“Come on.”  Remiel changed back and spoke quietly helping her out of bed. “Why do you want to argue? You’ll be safer here.”


“Because you won’t be. Because Ethan and Alpha Germain won’t be. Your pack is the opposite of safer for having me here. I can’t have that. The best thing I could possibly do for them would be to keep a safe distance.” There was a very large part of her wishing she hadn’t met him because if he didn’t know her he would be happier. 


“And what would have happened to you?” He asked hoarsely. “If you hadn’t met me?”


She took a breath. “I’d probably be dead in a ditch. But better me than you or any of your pack.”


“I wouldn’t be happier. I’d be waiting for my mate and she’d be dead.”


“You wouldn’t know that. And you don’t know that you wouldn’t find someone else.” The thought of him with someone else made her insides twist up but if he would be happier…


“I wouldn’t be happier. I need to get back under your skin. I need you to feel me. You need to feel me.”


“I do need to. I wish I knew why I can’t.” Letting him wrap his arms around her felt good. Safe. Sighing, she still needed to pee. 


Remiel laughed softly, “Come on. I can’t cuddle you into submission when you keep thinking about your bladder.”


After getting to pee and wash up, Remiel tucked her back into the salty bed, curling behind her and kissing the place he’d bitten her. “I asked Ethan to bring water since you were worried about him.”


“He’s a good guy.”


“He is. He kept my mate safe.”


The gentle knocking at the door didn’t prompt Remiel out of bed. The door opened on its own and Ethan carefully stepped over the salt line, followed by Ruby.


“How are you feeling?”


“I’m good Ethan, thanks. How are you feeling? You got hit harder and it sounds like you’re looking at trouble because of me.”


Remiel’s quiet growl and gentle bite into the place he’d been kissing made her shiver. 


“I can take a harder hit, you don’t have to worry about that. And Alpha Germain will smooth things over.” The glass of water was brought to the bedside table. “If you try to slip away in some stupid attempt to keep me or any of the rest of us safe, I will be back to sit on you.”


Genevieve started to laugh and Ethan grinned at her. 


“I don’t want that, you’re pretty heavy for a vegan chihuahua.”


“That’s the second time you’ve called him that.” Remiel sounded amused.


“We had fun picking on each other before things got weird.” She reached out her hand. “If everybody is in a bad mood, this is the guy you want to have around.”


Ethan’s glance to Remiel was very noticeable before he took her hand briefly. “Nah, you threatening to kick me in the junk while you’re drinking water out of a sippy cup was just too hilarious for me to be in a bad mood.”


“She threatened to kick you in the junk?” Ruby arched an eyebrow as she smiled.


“He likes it, apparently. I didn’t want Remiel to think I was flirting so I restrained myself.” Genevieve was grinning as Ethan pointed at her and both Ruby and Remiel started to laugh. “Hey, I thought you said you could take a hit.”


Ethan started to grin and Remiel was laughing so hard the bed was shaking. Ruby rubbed her eyes and took a breath. “You’re going to be fun to have around.” Growing more serious , her eyes wandered around the room. “The crystals you asked for, we have. Do you need supplies to do anything with them?”


“I like to clean things with smoke, and the smudge sticks are something I like to have on hand. If you have the plants here I can make them. I just need sage but lavender, rosemary, cedar or juniper are good to have. They're protective.”


“We can put those in the garden. How often do you need to ‘clean things’?”


“Usually not as often as I’ve needed to lately. Here where everyone’s energy is stronger it might need to be done frequently. I don’t really know for sure. It definitely doesn’t need to be burning all the time.” She looked to Ethan with a smile, “Apparently it bothers sensitive noses. And the circumstances were… hopefully not going to become common.”


“It didn’t bother me, I just couldn’t smell anything else in a room full of it. It did make a difference getting to the door and back, I don’t understand why.”


Taking a moment to find a way to explain it that would make sense, Genevieve felt Remiel kissing the back of her neck. “She’s not sure how to explain it. Something about running water.”


“The smoke clears things away, if you’re trying to grab something and there’s something flowing around it, trying to wash the bad away constantly…”


“It made me harder to hit.” Ethan nodded.


“Yeah, but not impossible.” Ruby frowned.


“As the wolf they couldn’t touch me, but Ethan couldn’t change and still open the door or carry you.”


Shivering, she remembered the whispering. “Whoever it was kept whispering at me. Something about a wolf at the door... There was more, I think he wanted me to try to listen harder. But whatever he was saying was not nice and I knew it wasn’t something I wanted to hear.”


“What happened on the way down the stairs? You looked like you were falling asleep.”


“I was being drained. It was focused. I guess he wanted to recoup some of the energy he spent. I didn’t know how to fight against it, until you were after me to stay awake. When I tried to just do that, the glass came down. It cut me off from everything. There was no more draining, but no more sound. It’s so quiet under the glass.” Genevieve rubbed Remiel’s arm. “I couldn’t remember if I told you that or not. I can see, I can feel, I can’t hear.”


“So you didn’t hear him in the van?” Ethan was looking at her with concern.


“No. I could see his mouth was moving. That was it. And then he brushed his hand over my eyes which tells me to go to sleep.”


“You’d stay awake otherwise?” Remiel squeezed her gently.


“I can. It gets boring though, and it’s safe under the glass.”


“The glass scares me, Genevieve. I can’t feel you at all under it.”


“And you move really…” Ethan shuddered.


“Creepy. Yeah, I’ve heard that. Trying to move feels like I’m drowning in molasses. It’s not a bad place to visit but I don’t want to live there.” She tried to give him a reassuring smile.


Ruby tilted her head slightly. “You like being under the glass?”


“Sometimes. It’s peaceful. I sometimes wonder if the guy who said ‘Hell is other people,’ had the same difficulties I have. I’ve learned to appreciate peaceful.” As she spoke Remiel kissed the back of her neck.


“That’s why it didn’t bother you when you performed. The glass was more like a reward.” He murmured against her skin.


“Everyone thinks it’s awful, and sometimes, when I don’t want it to happen, it can be. But I loved the nights I would perform, I got to feel normal for just a minute and then I got to go under the glass.”


“You didn’t look normal when you performed.” Ruby looked at her sharply.


“No, I looked possessed. But any normal person can be in front of a crowd, they can even be in a crowd. I can’t. I’m-I’m isolated because I have to be, not because I want to be. Being the Sibyl let me be a part of something, I could be around people without them…” She shook her head feeling frustrated. 


“That was what you were trying to tell me. You’re a part of something here, and you’ll still have the space you need.” Remiel was squeezing her again and it felt so ridiculously good. All she wanted to do was roll over and bury her face in his chest. “Then do it, my loving mate.” She could feel his amusement at the edge of her perception.


“It would be rude.” Genevieve settled for rubbing his leg with her foot.


“What would be?” Ethan asked curiously.


“Rolling over and snuggling closer to her mate.” He playfully started to nibble the mark he’d left.


Ruby gave a frustrated sigh, “Without them what?”


“Without them overwhelming me. There were rules, if you saw the video with the introduction you heard the ones they shared with the crowd. ‘The Sibyl is brought before you, not to be approached, not to be touched.’” Looking at Ruby’s almost unreadable expression, she continued, “It helped that when I was performing they weren’t thinking about much else, just what was happening in front of them. Sometimes I could almost see myself, like looking in a shattered mirror.”


“Ok, that’s creepy, Gen.” Ethan rubbed the back of his head.


“I’d apologize for being creepy but someone told me I’m not supposed to apologize for things I can’t help.” She offered him a rueful smile before she tried to sit up and reach the water.


Remiel growled and pulled her back.


“I’m thirsty, I just need to get the water.”


“Ask. You need to learn to ask our pack for help when you need it.”


“I can get the water on my own. I don’t need to ask-” He growled again and she sighed, wishing she could growl back at him. “Let me get my water.”


“Ask.”


Genevieve took a breath and glared at the water.


“It's funny, Remi. She didn't get mad like that when we were being attacked.” Ethan’s wolfish grin made her want to kick him.


“No flirting.” Remiel's dry tone made Ruby smile. 


“Would someone please hand me the damned water?” 


“I don't know, you wanted to kick me…” 


“I still want to kick you.” She muttered.


“I hope mine’s this much fun.” Ethan got the glass and held it out still grinning.


“Can I sit up to drink now?” The sharpness of her tone made her wince. “That came out way too sharply.”


“You don’t like being treated like a ‘delicate f*****g flower’. I get that.” Ethan patiently held the glass. “But Remi isn’t wrong. Who were you concerned about while we were being attacked?”


“Mostly you and Sage. But I was worried about myself too, I do have some sense of self-preservation.”


“Uh huh. When I saw you after you were injured, you couldn’t even unbuckle your own seat belt but the first thing you wanted to know was how Remi was doing. He’s got a point about you needing to rely on other people. You can’t try to look after others if you aren’t taking care of yourself.”


Taking a deep breath, Genevieve considered his point. She was well aware that Remiel wasn’t wrong and that was part of what made her angry about it. If he was going to make a habit of being right and trying to fix her faults she was going to need to talk to him about how not to go about it. 


“That’s fair.” Remiel murmured and squeezed her again before letting go and sitting up to help her upright. 


“Thank you, Ethan.” She offered as he handed her the water. 


“You’re welcome, Gen.” He stood there until she was ready to put it back down.


“Would you be a peach and put it back for me, please?” For a moment she thought he was going to pour it over her head, it almost turned her bright smile into a laugh.


“A peach.” He snorted. “And I thought we were friends.” 


“Next time I should ask if you’d be a lamb, noted.” Her face split into a grin so wide it hurt as he gave her a dirty look. “Weren’t you just wishing-”


“I take it back.” He shook his head smiling. “If you need anything…” 


“I’ll ask. Thanks. I do appreciate it.” She gave him a smile as she held out her hand. 


“Anytime.” He looked to Remiel again before taking her hand and giving it a squeeze.


“I have some more questions, but I can come back later.” Ruby smiled ruefully following Ethan to the door.


“Questions about what?” Genevieve looked at her curiously, anything Ruby wanted to know she’d be happy to talk about.


“Later, Genevieve, we have things to talk about ourselves.” Remiel lay back and held out his arms.


Turning and getting comfortable with her face pressed against his chest felt heavenly. “I’m sorry I was sharp with you.”


“I know.” He kissed the top of her head. “I know it’s hard for you to rely on others, and I know you hate being unable to take care of yourself.”


“It is and I do. But it’s worse when you make a big deal out of it, when you act like I’m going to just crumble into dust. I might have to rest and let myself heal but I’m not that bad off.”


“I could feel how badly you were hurting. And I could feel how you tried to ignore it and keep going. Making you acknowledge that you need to let us take care of you right now, that you need to ask for help is the only way I can see to make you rest and let yourself heal.”


“It was a special circumstance. If I’d laid around being a helpless lump how would that have helped Ethan or Sage? How could it have possibly been the right thing to do? I got up and did because it needed to be done. I do need some help right now, but I can sit up and get a glass of water off of the bedside table.”


“Strict bed rest. Reaching, leaning, and lifting are off limits. Here in the den, in my room, you can be a helpless lump. If you’re not I’m going to have to find a way to keep you flat on the bed.”


“That would be a tempting offer if I was up for making it fun.” Genevieve couldn’t help but kiss his chest with a grin.


“The quicker you heal the quicker it can be fun.” Remiel pulled her tightly against his side. “Since sex is off the table right now, what else can we do to help our connection?”


“Mm. Since you can still hear me, I’d guess the problem is on my end. I could hear the people around the apartment, but not you and barely Ethan. It’s like you’ve gone from loud to almost silent. Either there’s something blocking it internally or externally around me.” She took a deep breath and kissed his golden brown skin. “Maybe I can make something with the stones they picked up and if you can get any labradorite or black kyanite…”


“I can do that. Ethan said you talked about that one?”


“Yeah. Sage wanted to ask about the bracelet and talk about it. Ethan wanted to know who it was for so I told him and told him about the stones for it.”


“Black sapphire is something you need. Why would you tell me to take it and have it put in something for the Alpha?” His tone was gently chiding.


“Because it seemed like it might be more useful to him. This is the conversation I was having with Ethan when things got weird. I had this sudden feeling that something was coming. Something was wrong. It was like I could see why I’d wanted to have that bracelet given to him. He’s going to need it. He’s going to need support.” The eight of cups came unbidden to mind.


“He’ll have support from his pack.” Remiel stroked her hair.


“He’ll need more. Something you can’t give. It’s got to come from within and the stones can help.” The feeling that the Alpha would need it was too strong to ignore.


“The bracelet will get made. Maybe not by Sage, but it will get made.”


Genevieve rubbed her face into the side of his chest with a sigh. Once the eight of cups had sprung to mind, the Page of Swords wasn’t far behind it. She wished she had her cards or that she could ask Brandon for a reading, he was better. The Page of Swords might be a person not just some sort of situation.


“We’ll figure it out. Do you trust your mate to keep you safe?” He brought his hand up to rub the base of her skull.


“I do. But can you go out of your way to be safe about it?” She almost moaned it felt so nice the way he was rubbing and massaging the back of her head.


“I’ll try.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

11 Views
Added on January 9, 2021
Last Updated on January 9, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay