Thirteen

Thirteen

A Chapter by Isemay

The sky was a heavy leaden grey and the wind kept trying to blow her off of her feet. Genevieve was looking for something but in the dimness and rough hilly terrain she wasn’t sure if she could find it. A glint of shining silver caught her eye and she turned to look without thinking. The dark figure of a man stood posed in the wind holding a gleaming silvery sword.


The Page of Swords. This wasn’t somewhere she wanted to be. Trying to get anywhere was almost impossible with the buffeting wind shoving her with every step. If she moved with the wind it would take her right to the Page. It didn’t seem she had much of a choice, there was no moving forward.


Approaching the Page, even with the wind trying to shove her that way, still wasn’t easy. It seemed like the ground moved under her feet, he was on top of a hill now and she was struggling to climb it. She couldn’t go around, only keep fighting her way up. Exhausted, panting, and wishing for strength Genevieve scrambled, using her hands and feet both, cresting the hill on all fours before standing again and approaching the still figure. 


The wind calmed. Up close, the Page was somehow less frightening. Taking his silver sword, she looked over its sharp edges and felt the comforting heft of it. The dark figure of the Page faded leaving her on the hill with the sword. It wasn’t what she was looking for, but it would help. She could feel it.


Over the rolling hills a shadow of a wolf came gliding and she dropped to one knee to greet it, opening her arms. The wolf bowled her over and she woke with a start.


“I was trying to wake you.” Remiel sounded relieved and squeezed her tightly. “You were having some kind of nightmare.”


“It got better. And then I got knocked over by a wolf.” Genevieve rubbed her face against his side.


“What wolf?” He lifted a hand to stroke her hair.


“It was more like the shadow of a wolf. I knelt down to greet it and it knocked me over.”


“Not a scary wolf then?” His tone was teasing.


“Definitely not.” Something occurred to her as she remembered it, “I think it may have been what I was looking for in my dream.”


“It felt more like a nightmare to me. You were afraid.”


“I was looking for something but I was being pushed by the wind toward the Page of Swords. I was afraid to go near him and even though I was being pushed it was hard to get to him.” She blinked as he sat up abruptly and looked down at her. “He was just a dark figure in my dream, with a silver sword. I took it and he faded away.”


“Write it down. The dream. You need to remember it.” Remiel sprang out of bed and came back with the paper and pencils she’d been using to sketch things on.


Turning it to the blank side she wrote as much as she could remember and tried to write about how she felt as well. Genevieve didn’t know what good it would do but it seemed to make Remiel look more at ease.


“We’re going to be having company soon. Alpha Germain has invited the Latro Alphas. They have some new people to bring to us and they’ve agreed to bring a witch that isn’t entirely untrustworthy.”


“They have ‘new people to bring’? Thaaat doesn’t sound…” It sounded like why Sage thought Alpha Germain was the head of a cult.


“I didn’t phrase it well.” He smiled ruefully. “The Alpha wants to be able to introduce you. You’ll get your stones and be able to do anything you need to do to protect yourself.”


“Who’s doing his bracelet?” She looked at him curiously.


“No one yet. It’ll get made eventually.” Remiel settled back into the bed next to her.


“If I’m going to have time on my hands, and you have an internet connection so I can look up things I’m not sure about, I could do it. I mean it wouldn't be as pretty as if Sage had done it.”


“That would be good. What do you need?”


“A computer to figure out exactly what I want to do and if I can do it, and then I can tell you what other supplies I’ll need.”


“I can do that. There’s a couch in the main living area of the house, our internet doesn’t reach much farther. I want you to have your protective stones ready before you go out there, the den should be safe but…” Remiel took a deep breath.


“But better safe than sorry.”


“We can have breakfast out there if you’d like.” He kissed her shoulder. 


It wasn’t much later that a silver chain with two charms was brought in for her. Both of them she recognized from the shop. A rainbow fluorite angel and a disc of obsidian, one side of which was polished to a mirror shine and the other bore crossed spears. Brandon must have helped them pick them out. Once cleaned with smoke, Genevieve charged and activated them with energy. 


Remiel looked a little amused as she put them on. “An angel?”


“It might be a little kitchy but the crystal will work fine and some people like having the image. It makes them feel like they’re being watched over.” She almost added out loud she had her own angel for that. 


He grinned and shook his head letting her know he’d heard it anyway. “Are you sure you’re up for this?”


“If I get tired or need to come back to the room I’ll ask to come back. That is, if I’m not allowed to walk myself back.”


“You’re not. Call for me if you need me, Genevieve. If I can’t drop what I’m doing someone will come help you.”


“Aww! You’re not going to be a lazy bum with me all day long?” She was trying to tease but she was genuinely envious he had something to do. 


“You have something to do too. Don’t forget you have a bracelet to plan out and put together.” Remiel helped her pull on a pair of warm socks and sweatpants to go with the faded grey t-shirt she’d been sleeping in. “I won’t be far.”


“I won’t forget, and I’ll do my best.” Genevieve stole a kiss as he scooped her up. Being back here felt right, the anger and frustration had almost entirely dissolved. Home was with Remiel, whatever she needed to do to stay, to keep the people here safe, she would do.


“You need to heal before you even start thinking about keeping anyone safe, my loving mate.” He was beaming as he carried her out of the room and down the hall deeper into the house. 


It looked like a huge living room out of a magazine. Spacious couches, and comfortable chairs around a cluster of coffee tables. Remiel settled her onto a long couch and sat at her head, stroking her hair.


“You’re probably already aware but I hate having other people doing things for me.” She sighed trying to relax and wait patiently. 


“I know. You’re used to needing to take care of yourself, relying on others makes you nervous because you’re used to them hurting you or being untrustworthy. Our pack isn’t going to do that, trusting them, relying on them, will do you good.” Using his nails he started lightly scratching and massaging her scalp.


It made her brain feel tingly and she half closed her eyes enjoying it.


“Is she falling asleep?” The amused voice was familiar.


“No, my Alpha, she just loves when I do that.” Remiel’s grin greeted her when she looked up at him, blushing slightly.


“Good morning, Alpha Germain.” Genevieve started to sit up but the Alpha snapped his fingers and gave her a frown.


“Stay down until breakfast arrives.” His stern face softened. “I’m told you’re going to be making me a bracelet?”


“I’m going to try. It won’t be as pretty as what Sage could have done but it should serve its purpose.”


“Which is?”


“To give you the support you’re going to need. I know it probably sounds ridiculous but I have this feeling.” She frowned trying to figure out a sane rational way to try to explain it.


“You told Ethan that I’ve been strong a long time, and that I’m going to need support for something that’s coming. And you’ve told Remi that I’ll need support my pack can’t give.”


“It’s going to have to come from within. This thing that’s coming, it’s going to fall on you hard.”


“Tell me about the, what was it, the Page of Swords?”


“The position it was in, it was something coming from outside. Beyond your control and the way you treat it, the way you react to it is going to affect the outcome.” Genevieve met his eyes without mincing her words. “I’m not great at readings, I miss things. The Page of Swords is a card that represents someone sharp, quick on their feet, and tumultuous. This is not someone or something with a lot of maturity or sophistication.” She shook her head, getting frustrated and worried she wasn’t explaining it well. “The card is complicated.”


“Calm down. Could you be the Page of Swords?” The Alpha looked at her speculatively.


His question hit her like a closed fist. If she were the problem… No. The feeling was clear. “The Page is coming. The Page is not here.”


“The Page was the one attacking at Brandon’s?”


“Yes. He’s educated. I’m-I’m not.” Realizing she was staring into the middle distance she looked back at the Alpha. 


“How do you know?” He asked gently. “I’m not doubting you, Remiel can feel how sure you are. But how do you know?”


“I don’t know how. I just… I just feel it. There’s something…” Genevieve rubbed her face with both hands, starting to curl up.


“Easy, easy. Genevieve, talk to me.” Remiel was rubbing her back vigorously, she could feel it, but it was almost as if it was happening to someone else.


She shuddered coming back to herself realizing she was being shaken and shouted at by Remiel. He stopped immediately as if he could feel the change.


“What happened? Where did you go?”


“I don’t know. I just…” She shuddered again and felt his claws coming out.


“Stop trailing off that way. Talk to me.”


“There’s nothing I can say, Remiel. I don’t know. I don’t understand.” The morning had felt so nice and now everything felt like it was going sideways. She needed to breathe and let her mind be still.


“If that’s what you need, do it.” Remiel stayed on the floor in front of her as she closed her eyes and focused on her breathing.


When she opened them again Ruby and Maria were sitting on the sofa across from her. The room felt cool and quiet. Genevieve felt more centered and comfortable in her own skin but Remiel had gone. “Hey.” 


“There you are.” Ruby looked at her as if she was late getting back from somewhere. “You keep making Remi worry.”


“I don’t mean to.” She doubted Ruby would understand needing to be still, but she’d hoped Remiel did. Her stomach growled and she debated whether she should ask about food or if she should ask about going back to the bedroom. Ruby’s reproach was making her want to find a place to hide.


“Remi said to get you breakfast when you came back.” Maria leaned toward her curiously. “Where did you go?”


“Inside, where it’s quiet and still. Sometimes I need it.” Biting her top lip she took a deep breath. “It’s not something I can really help.” Even though she should have tried to put it off until later. It was embarrassing to go out and come back to different people who had no idea what was going on. Genevieve kicked herself for not going back to the room first. “I apologize for-”


“I told you not to apologize for things you can’t help.” Remiel’s voice was a relief and he was kneeling next to her head before she could sit up to look at him. “It seemed like it helped you until you started getting embarrassed.”


“Yeah, it did. And it is embarrassing.” Especially when someone points out you’re worrying the one you love.


“Your being still didn’t worry me. What happened before did. Alpha Germain made a call and was able to talk to one of the Latro pack that knows a bit more about witches. Asking you those questions about the Page was pushing you toward him. It was dangerous.” His smile was tight. “As strong as he seems to be we may have been lucky to get you back.”


“What are you talking about?” Ruby’s concerned inquiry interrupted them. “The Page?”


“The Page of Swords.” Genevieve answered and rubbed her temples with both hands, turning onto her back. 


“You’re not going to talk about that anymore, you’re not even going to think about that anymore, Genevieve.” Remiel moved to sit on the couch by her head, pushing her hands away and rubbing her temples gently. “There’s more than one kind of witch. Some can see bits of the future and some can reach out almost like we can with our pack. Thinking and talking about him makes you reach toward him because you haven’t learned how to control it.” 


“How can she live with that kind of gift and not learn to control it?” Ruby sounded incredulous.


“It may have gotten stronger when I mated her. I opened something inside her. The reason she can’t feel me anymore may be…” His somber tone made her heart ache. “Because she’s trying to defend herself. Trying to shut that door.”


The realization ripped through her like lightning. The wolf at the door. “That’s what he meant. The wolf at the door. He didn’t mean a physical door.” Looking up at Remiel she almost wanted to laugh. “Did she say how to fix it?”


“How do you know it’s a she?” Maria asked almost teasingly.


“I can feel it. She’s a doctor too isn’t she?” Genevieve saw Remiel’s eyes widen before he smiled.


“She is. Are you looking in me to see that or…?” 


“I don’t know. I just feel it. If I knew how any of this worked I could try to fix myself.” She took a breath and he started rubbing her temples again.


“You’re not broken, you just need to learn what to do with yourself.” The resolve in his voice was soothing. “Get her breakfast and then set up with the computer. She has a job to do for Alpha Germain and it needs to get done. Let’s work on one thing at a time.”


“I can do that.” A job to do and something to occupy her mind and her hands would be welcome. Her stomach growled angrily. Breakfast would be welcome too.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6 Views
Added on January 9, 2021
Last Updated on January 9, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay