Eighteen

Eighteen

A Chapter by Isemay

When she woke her head still ached and there was a heavy weight on her legs. Genevieve took a deep breath and rubbed her face.


“How are you feeling?” Doctor Latro was there by the bed turning a lamp on in an instant and the heavy weight on her legs growled. “She’s awake Remi.” 


The weight lifted and leapt down from the bed and Remiel materialized on the other side of her with a frown, studying her face.


“My head hurts.” Her mouth felt dry and her throat was still sore.


“Can she drink something?” Remiel looked at the doctor for permission.


“Water or warm herbal tea.” 


Remiel bent and kissed her head, “I’ll be right back.” His warning look to the doctor was as stern as a look from Alpha Germain.


“Take your time.” Dr. Latro sighed as he closed the door. “Your mate has been underfoot and challenging me on everything since you had that,” she paused, “episode.”


Genevieve felt oddly disconnected for a moment. “There’s not enough time. To rise from the ash the Sibyl must burn. The Angel knows.” 


“I want to take you to a hospital and have you checked for brain damage from that seizure. That’s not something Alpha Germain is willing to allow.” The doctor was looking in her eyes with a small light. “You’re not being coherent and the headache is concerning me.”


Concerns. There were so many things that still needed to be done. “Where’s the box?”


“The box? Follow my finger.”


“There’s not enough time. I need to work. I need the box.” The bracelet needed to be done. It had to be. 


“You had a seizure. You’re not doing anything but resting tonight. Do you understand that something happened?” Dr. Latro looked at her with a frown.


The disconnection came back. “Happened, happened. No time. White wolves will bend.”


The Alpha stared at her hard for a moment. “Not tonight they won’t.”


After a few moment’s silence there was a soft knock at the door. Rob cracked it open nervously and peered in. “Remi said she needs the box?” 


“I told her she can’t work on it tonight.”


“White wolves will bend. Bright fame and the Golden. The Empress is close. No time.”


“She keeps talking nonsense.” 


Rob came in with the box, approaching the bed. “Bright Fame is, um, me. I think. I don’t know the Golden. The Empress is the Alpha’s mate. ‘White wolves will bend’ doesn’t make any sense.”


“I thought she meant I would relent. But I won’t, she needs to rest.” Dr. Latro sighed. “This thing she’s making it’s for the Alpha’s mate?”


“No, it’s, um, it’s to protect Alpha Germain. She said he’s going to need it.”


“White wolves will bend.” Genevieve was certain and despite the feeling of disconnection she was happy. Bright Fame and the Golden belonged together. She repeated it, “Bright Fame and the Golden! The Golden!”


“The Golden is your mate.” Remiel came in with a mug in his hand closing the door. “She’s feeling disconnected but she got very happy when she saw you, she knows you’re going to meet your mate. The Golden.”


“I am not going to bend on this. She needs her rest, I still think-”


Remiel growled in his chest, “My mate believes she’s going to burn to death in the dark. Alone. She wants to do this for the Alpha you’re not going to stop her.”


“She needs to rest.”


“I can-I can help.” Rob started laying out the bags on the bed the way they had been laid out on the table. “She can show Remi what to do and I can try to do it.”


The feeling began to pass again and she reached out her hand to Remiel. He perched on the bed and stroked her hair, letting her hold onto his arm with the hand without the IV. “I will kill him. You're wrong about the rest.”


“Did you-” Her throat was sore, Remiel helped her sit up slightly to drink.


“I heard some of what he said. Then you were gone. Why is he calling you Sybil?”


“I don’t know. He didn’t just call me Sybil, he called me a Sibyl. Do you remember the quote I told you about from the band? He quoted it to me. Then he said a Sibyl is a valuable thing and that I would be wasted on a-a ‘pack of wild dogs’. That it was time to come home.” Genevieve shivered remembering being chained in the cave when he was speaking.


“You’re not going anywhere, not without me.” Remiel took the cup away and kissed her.


The song that popped into her head made her want to laugh and cry. “I’d sing for you but I’m creepy enough at the moment without it.”


He cracked a smile. “That sounds like a sad song.”


“I’ve always liked it. It’s so sweet.”


“Which song?” Rob was standing next to the bed with everything laid out.


I Will Follow You Into the Dark.” Genevieve’s eyes widened as he started to sing it tentatively. 


Love of mine, someday you will die

But I'll be close behind


Genevieve joined in and he grew more sure.


I'll follow you into the dark

No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white

Just our hands clasped so tight

Waiting for the hint of a spark


If Heaven and Hell decide

That they both are satisfied

Illuminate the 'No's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you

When your soul embarks

Then I'll follow you into the dark


In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule

I got my knuckles bruised by a lady in black

I held my tongue as she told me,

"Son, fear is the heart of love."

So I never went back


If Heaven and Hell decide

That they both are satisfied

Illuminate the 'No's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you

When your soul embarks

Then I'll follow you into the dark


You and me have seen everything to see

From Bangkok to Calgary

And the soles of your shoes are all worn down

The time for sleep is now

But it's nothing to cry about

'Cause we'll hold each other soon

In the blackest of rooms


If Heaven and Hell decide

That they both are satisfied

Illuminate the 'No's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you

When your soul embarks

Then I'll follow you into the dark

Then I'll follow you into the dark


(Death Cab for Cutie. “I Will Follow You into the Dark.” Plans, Atlantic, 2006, CD Single.)


As they finished the song she gave him a warm smile.


“That’s… heartbreaking.” Dr. Latro shook her head.


“My mate sings beautifully but I don’t like her choice of songs.” Remiel smiled ruefully.


“Rob sings better.” Genevieve lifted her hand toward him and he beamed. “And he and I are the only ones in here who can appreciate good music.”


“I loved your Soul like Coffee playlist.”


She started to laugh, “Brandon says it’s music to slit your wrists to. He’s the reason I have the For my Brain playlist. He tends to worry about my mental health.”


“As he should,” Dr. Latro sounded tired. “You seem more together now, but you need to rest. You can talk to Remi and Rob about the bracelet for a bit but then I really want you to get some more sleep.”


Nodding, Genevieve looked at Remiel with a wry smile, “Do you remember?” She’d seen it all come together earlier.


“Some of it.” He moved around the bed to the side with the bags. “You can get a chair, Rob.”


“He can’t sit on the bed?” Genevieve watched as Rob darted out and Remiel gave her a long look. 


“Genevieve, no other male is going to get into my bed with my mate. Not even one you feel sisterly toward.” 


He smiled as she reached out her hand again thinking about how much she adored him and how little interest she had in any ‘other male’. 


“I know, and the second I have permission I’m going to show you how much I appreciate that, my loving mate.” Remiel climbed onto the bed to kiss her and be close.


“Why were you sleeping on my legs?”


“Because he wouldn’t let me near you when I let him be up higher. He was acting like I was the one who’d hurt you.” Dr. Latro was curled on a large comfortable looking chair that hadn’t been there earlier in the day. “He wouldn’t let anything into the room that wasn’t ‘washed’ with smoke and when I wanted to bathe you he’d only allow it to be done with salt water. The room was half filled with smoke and he wouldn’t let me open a window.”


“Salt and smoke help. I use them to clean and clear, and to protect. Using too much doesn’t hurt anything and ‘washing’ everything was a good idea.”


“Breathing in so much smoke isn’t good for either of you.” The doctor looked dubious. “And Althea seemed to think that smoke and salt aren’t particularly effective.”


“Althea?” Genevieve couldn’t remember if she’d heard that name before.


“The witch that came with us. She wouldn’t come to the den when she heard what had happened but Joel spoke with her about the sage and salt, and your crystals.” Dr. Latro glanced at the bags on the bed. “If Alpha Germain needs protection she might be able to help more than you can.”


“No. She may know more about being a witch than I do but I know more about this. I’m sure of it.” Something was tugging at a string in her mind. “Who else was there?”


The doctor straightened in her seat. “Where?”


Her eyes felt heavy as she started to disconnect. “He hurts them, but they don’t remember. Deadened. Dreamless.”


Wake up!” Remiel was growling, holding her face with his eye glowing gold. 


“Dig down.” The glass was stained dark as she slipped under it. Staying awake was impossible.


Genevieve woke again to quiet arguing, whether something needed to be exactly like the video instruction or the way she’d imagined it. “Hm, what?”


Remiel was on top of her before she could get her hand to her eyes. “Genevieve, are you awake?” 


“I’m kind of awake. The glass lifted. It’s changed now.” She murmured as he was kissing her face and rubbing the base of her skull. “It’s stained and dark inside.”


“No light.” He muttered, pressing his face close. 


“Back up, please.” Dr. Latro sounded tired and annoyed. “Before I have to ask Alpha Germain back down.”


“Why?” Genevieve felt confused and a little foggy, that Remiel was being ordered away made it worse.


“Everything is hazy and confusing, she doesn’t know why you’re ordering me back like that.” Remiel kept hold of her hand.


“If she’s disoriented, maybe she needs air. All I can smell is this smoke, I’ve gotten used to using my nose to do parts of my job.” The doctor was snappish and Genevieve needed to make it stop.


“Elizabeth, ‘My God is an Oath.’ ‘My God is abundance.’ The smoke is clean. Your nose is clear.” It felt the same as charging her crystals with intention but the doctor leapt back as if she’d been burned.


“Luna! What did you do?!” Dr.Latro was holding her hands over her nose.


Remiel began to laugh, “She fixed your nose so it won’t bother you. She’s still foggy and can’t figure out why you’re upset.”


“It felt like...” As she was speaking the door burst open and the other Alpha Latro stood in the doorway as if looking for a target.


“Love?” He moved purposefully to her side, checking her over.


“I meant no harm. The smoke was bothering her but I need it.” The bracelet, things to do. So little time.


Stroking her hand, Remiel soothed her, “Easy, easy, Genevieve. We’ve been working on it, Rob, show her?” 


Rob lifted what they had so far. It was almost right.


“She’s worried about the bracelet?” Dr. Latro dropped her hands and came closer cautiously. “I can smell everything but the smoke. How did she do that?”


“She did it the same way she charges the crystals. You were touching her and you’d told her your name, that was all she needed.” Remiel shook his head looking at his mate with a baffled smile. 


“Names have power. It’s why people like to shorten them. It makes them safer. Remi, Rob, Vivi...”


“Vivi?” Dr. Latro was turning Genevieve’s face and peering in her eyes with the light again.


“It’s what Brandon calls her, she’ll answer to anything but Ginny, but Vivi is the one she likes best. You should say so, Genevieve.” Remiel squeezed her hand, “What does Vivi mean?”


“Alive.” Dr. Latro answered. “Though you don’t usually hear it pronounced like Fifi.”


“Yes.” Genevieve gave the doctor a bright smile.


“Something seems off with her eyes. And she doesn’t quite smell like she did earlier.” The doctor looked at her with some concern. “For some reason I can’t put my finger on it.”


“What I feel through you, mate, it’s like she’s gone through a change. Almost like joining the pack but the wolf isn’t what’s come forward.” The large man frowned while studying her. “Vivi, what came forward?”


“The Sibyl. She was always there but down and away. The shadow of the wolf is here, but not-not yet…” 


“I didn’t think witches changed?” Dr. Latro looked to her mate.


“It isn’t a whole wolf, just the shadow. She won’t be… she won’t change, not like we do.” Remiel closed his eyes and leaned forward onto the bed. “It’s exhausting.”


“Yes.” Genevieve stroked his hair. “You’ve been handling the kyanite and gold, you’re very open to me. Rest, I will work, my angel.” She sat up gingerly as he climbed onto the bed and curled falling asleep immediately.


“If you can do this with my nose, can you heal your kidney?” Dr. Latro ran a hand down her bare back.


Shaking her head, Genevieve spoke the quote that came to mind, “‘He saved others; himself he cannot save.’ The shadow of the wolf would help, she wants to. But she hasn’t been invited.”


“Invite her.” Dr. Latro frowned.


“Love, I think she means she has to go through the ritual and join the pack.” The larger Alpha Latro gave a faint smile.


“Yes. There’s no time.” She looked down at Rob in a chair at the foot of the bed. “Come closer, please?”


Genevieve sat to work on the bracelet with Rob until her side ached. They’d done a lot and Remiel had remembered most of what she’d envisioned. Rob’s suggestions were sometimes stunning, but the form had to remain as she needed it. The triangle knots framed the center where the World would go. 


“Um, Vivi?” Rob seemed almost timid. “It can’t be finished.” 


“Why?” It felt exactly right. She tried not to smile.


“Remi broke the stone under the charm.” Rob swallowed, she could feel his expectation that she would be upset. “He was upset and it, um, got knocked off of the bed.”


“Alpha Germain will take you with him to get another one. You’ll put it in for him if she doesn’t. The Empress is Pure. He has to take you.”


Rob blinked at her like she was sprouting a second head. “The Empress?”


“Is Pure.” The bracelet was as done as it could be for now, the kyanite didn’t need to be cleaned or charged, but the gold should be. “I need smoke to wash this and then it will be ready enough until the charm is put in place.”


Once washed and the intent was firmly in place, she offered it back to Rob. “He can and should wear it. Even unfinished it will help.” Curling up with Remiel for just a few minutes seemed like the best use of her time now. She was careful not to tangle the IV as she lay on her side and put her head on his arm.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on January 10, 2021
Last Updated on January 10, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay