Twenty-six

Twenty-six

A Chapter by Isemay

Genevieve’s first stop was the grocery store, finding what she needed, a small stationery set with a kitschy floral pen along with different sized envelopes and sheets of paper, and then stamps at the register. She bought them and went to the chain coffee store next door to get a cup of cocoa and write. The slips of paper she put into one envelope and jotted a note to Rob.


Rob, I know I don’t have a right to ask anything of you but you’re the only person I can think of that might not be angry with me. If A- she scratched it out Mr. Germain is in a good headspace he’s the one who should see these bits of paper. My mother wrote them. Not the one who raised me, the one who gave me away to get me as far from Mesny as she could. If he’s not in a good headspace send these to the Latros. They’ll hold them until the time is right if they don’t go kill him themselves.


If anyone comes here they need to know he’s dangerous, so much more dangerous than my brother. Farrin, she scratched it out, Bastion has a good heart, but Dara has done his best to warp him. They need to take their time to prepare and find a way to shield themselves. They’ll find the way when they look. Speak to Brandon and Sage.


Don’t worry about saving me, I’ll be dead by the time you get here. Take care of yourself, of your pack. You are so much more important.


After a moment she wrote underneath it.


I need you to know I didn’t leave because of a lack of love. I think Remiel thought that. I needed to come here for HER. Love brought me to you and pulled me away. Love, I hope, will keep you safe. That’s why I shut you all out. It’s safer for you. I can’t protect myself, but I CAN protect you. All of you. 


I keep thinking of Underneath the Sycamore for some reason. “This is where we find our peace/ This is where we are at least.”


Love, your Vivi.


She sealed it, writing ROB on it before tucking it into a larger envelope and writing a note to Brandon.


Brandon, I need one last favor from you. Please get this envelope to Rob, he’s a friend of Remiel’s and lives out with Mr. Germain. Please don’t just give it to Remiel, I need you to give it to Rob. It’s important. It’s so important. Check your cards if you need to.


I need to tell you I love you and I hope you find all the love and happiness you deserve. I’m sorry I won’t be there when you do. Sage is such a good friend if you give him less s**t. I adore the both of you. You have both been so good to me.


A thought occurred to her and she checked Farrin’s phone.


If you need to (and I mean need to need to) you can call my brother, I’m pretty sure I won’t be available. Not because I don’t want to be. Call at night, when sane people would be in bed. 910-555-6339


I love you SO SO much.


Your Vivi


Genevieve put it in the envelope as well and sealed it up, writing Brandon’s address on the outside and putting stamps on it. She needed a mailbox. A glance out of the window at the police approaching her car made her grimace. Time was up already.


“Excuse me?” She approached the barista. “I know this is a nutty thing to ask, but if I pay you can you drop my letter in a mailbox? It has stamps and everything. I’m not going to have the chance.” Swallowing she hoped the woman would say yes, she held out the letter and the rest of the money Farrin had given her.


“Sure, are… are you in trouble?”


“You have no idea.” Genevieve gave her a bitter smile. “Thanks.” Taking a breath as she turned away, she headed out the door with the car key and Farrin’s phone, leaving the rest on the table. “Is there a problem, officers?”


It was easy to stay calm as she was handcuffed, searched and put into the police car. She’d done what she needed to do. Holding her calm in the cell was a little more difficult until she leaned her head on the glass and let it create a void around her. She had a small holding cell all to herself, probably Dara’s doing. It had been too much to hope for that he would sleep until the next dawn. 


Coming out of the cell she could feel him waiting. He was as amused as he was annoyed. The officers gave him her things in a large envelope. “You stole my car?”


“I borrowed it, Father. I couldn’t find the keys to the Porsche.”


He curled his finger beckoning her closer. “I like that car.”


“It’s a nice car. It’s been awhile since I drove a stick but I didn’t grind the gears or anything.”


He softly snorted a laugh. “Drive me home. We’re going to discuss your behavior, my dear. And an appropriate punishment.”


“I expected as much. Though, I thought you’d sleep longer and we’d be having this discussion tomorrow.”


“There was such a noise in the woods near the house that I woke up early. Were you responsible for that?” His tone was cool and almost innocent as he was wheeled out.


She walked briskly to keep up with him. “It would depend on what the noise was. I visited Mother.”


“And you took salt with you.”


“Yes. It seemed prudent.”


His laugh raised the hair on the back of her neck. “Your brother warned you. Farrin was concerned about me, but he was more concerned about what I would do to you.”


“I told him you were fine. All I did was put you to sleep.”


“Restful, healing sleep at that. But I had plans for today.”


“Which involved forcing me to do things I don’t want to do. I’m aware things aren’t going to be as pleasant now,” Genevieve gave him a knowing look, “which is probably the understatement of the year. But I had to visit Mother before all of this gets started in earnest.”


Dara’s attendant helped him into the back of the car as she got into the driver’s seat. “What did she say?” 


“Some of it I didn’t understand… You bought her for a purpose and you want me to extend your life and serve you the world on a platter?”


“Not that she’d met her mate?” He was prying, she could feel it.


“The man from the furniture store she dreamt about. I don’t think she knew he was a wolf.”


“No, they took her at the perfect time. Had he been given time to mate with her I wouldn’t have been able to breed her.” His tone was utterly unrepentant.


They drove in silence. 


“Will the Sibyl be singing to me again?”


“Probably. You don’t want her to do it while I’m driving, my movements get a little strange.”


“Ah.” A glance in the rear view showed his wistful smile. “Something more melodic next time I hope.”


“I make no promises. I was opening my mouth to speak and she poured it out.”


“I think, perhaps, I’ll speak directly to her when we get home. I’m not very happy with you, Sybil.”


Genevieve nodded slowly. “You’ll be less happy with her. Things are now set on their proper path. It was nice for a moment, though.”


“It can still be nice if you would only bend just a little, Sybil.” Dara’s voice was so reasonable, and charming.


“‘Damned impatient.’ That was what my mate said about me. I can see it’s a family trait. You pushed and the dice fell.”


“Dice can be re-rolled.” He sighed smugly.


“True. But the Sibyl will not serve.”


“I would hear her tell me that.”


A Perfect Circle’s Rose began spilling out of her mouth before she could warn him to be careful what he wished for.


Moving her hands to steer was nearly impossible as she began to move to the music in her mind. She could only watch what was unfolding in front of her, her hands releasing the wheel and the car listing to the right.


The car left the road with Mesny pulling himself between the seats, knocking the car out of gear and trying to take the wheel.


He was glaring as the song came to an end and she was able to apply the brakes. “You did that deliberately, Sybil.”


“No, you demanded to hear it from the Sibyl and she doesn’t care about tasks like driving. Is her answer clear enough?”


“Her answer will change.”


“It won’t.”


The attendants from the following car reached them and made certain Mr. Mesny wasn’t hurt. Against their wishes he was put back into his seat and they started out again in silence. Reaching the house, Farrin almost ran to the car.


“Is everything alright?”


“Your sister and I are fine, though we’re not currently on speaking terms.” Dara was helped out by his attendants into his chair. “Did you find a photographer?”


“I found a team of them. They’ll be here tomorrow before lunch.” Farrin opened her car door and helped her out, pulling her into an embrace.


“I still require her.” Dara eyed them with annoyance. “She should go change into something else, I want her in clothes without holes.”


“Yes, Father.” Farrin pulled her along to her room.


The salt had been removed from the threshold. She could feel it immediately. “He opened the room again.” Covering her face with her hand she realized, “Goddammit, I left the salt in the car.”


“You don’t have time for that right now, Sibbi. You need to change and then Father has something in mind.”


“I’m aware.”


“Do you want my ring?” He started to pull it off of his finger.


“No! Keep it.” Genevieve gave him a wry smile, “I can manage.”


She stripped out of the clothes she was wearing and slipped into the most ragged pair of pants she’d bought. Mesh patches, striped calves, graffiti words across one thigh and the other wrapped with a ragged pinstriped strip of cloth with dangling edges. She paired them with a ragged edged, sheer black, asymmetric sweater over a grey tank top with faded skulls and roses. 


After putting her boots back on she came out of the bathroom and hunted around the room, Farrin watched with a look of concern. “Sibbi, what are you looking for?”


“I need something to hold onto. It doesn’t matter what at this point. Don’t you people have any tacky bowls with those glass nuggets in them?”


“No.” His lips twisted. “If we can get to my room I have some jewelry you could borrow.”


“Let’s give it a shot.” 


“No need, my dear Sybil. Your father has something for you.” Dara was peering through the doorway with an amused expression. “You paid money for those clothes? I would have thought someone with your background would want more practical sturdy things.”


“I bought clothes to last me the rest of my life, that it’ll only be about a month at the very longest opened up my options.” She exhaled as her brother stepped behind her and wrapped his arms around her.


“Did you choose your gift for me to remind yourself of that?” He looked vaguely disappointed.


“No. I chose it because I knew you’d like it. And no, I didn’t forget what you’re going to do, I bought it for you knowing that.”


“I want to see you work, Sybil. I’ll even let you lay more salt down in your doorway.” Dara’s tone was almost conciliatory. “And afterward, you’ll see how I work.”


“I’m not going back into that oubliette you call a workspace.” Genevieve shook her head and frowned.


“That isn’t an oubliette, my dear, but I do have one you’ll get to see if you continue your obstinence.”


“Why don’t we start there, I can clean it in anticipation of my stay.” She tried not to smile as Farrin dropped his head to her shoulder and squeezed her.


Dara’s lips twitched. “You’re very much like me. I want to keep you alive, Sybil. Let me try?”


“Let him try.” Farrin whispered with his head still pressed to her shoulder.


Forcing his hand would get things over more quickly. But letting him try might keep her brother safer… She didn’t want him in pain.


“I promise you, Sybil, your brother will be as safe as a church if you listen to him and let me try.” His eyes lit up as he felt how important it was to her to have him safe. “Take his well-being into consideration, if you die so does he. He doesn’t want to die.” 


“I’m aware.” Having it pointed out in Dara’s reasonable tone made her feel guilty.


“Come, both of you. Farrin, your help with this is appreciated. We can persuade her if we work together.” Dara gestured for his attendant to step away and Genevieve took hold of the chair pushing it resignedly.


This time they went to Dara’s rooms. Unlike her brother’s they were mostly white with grey and black accents, all of it very sharp and minimalist. They felt frigid.


“This isn’t the room I saw you in. The one with the hospital bed.” 


“You saw me?” The door closed behind them and it felt like a trap closing.


“Yes. You were asleep and your eyes fluttered as I looked through the window.”


“Ah. You haven’t asked why I was asleep.”


“If you wanted me to know you would tell me.”


“I was looking for you. Farrin found your singing, and I mistakenly believed you would be easy to find if I devoted myself entirely to the search.”


She thought she knew where he was looking. “You were looking in the long hall with all the windows?”


His laughter seemed to suit this room. “No, that hall isn’t something I’m allowed into. With the vision of you and the feel of you as you sang, I focused on the place you were and believed I could follow you. How did you hide?” Dara gestured for them to sit in the uncomfortable looking white marble chairs.


Genevieve was surprised to find that they weren’t actually marble, nor were they hideously uncomfortable. It took a moment for her to respond. “I wasn’t hiding. I didn’t know you existed.”


“You didn’t feel your brother’s absence?” Dara leaned forward and it felt as though he intended to catch her out in a lie.


“I was broken inside and I learned to accept it. I had enough reason to be broken. I didn’t need to try to dream up other reasons.”


“Her friend Brandon said she had personality changes when she had her concussions. Perhaps that stymied your efforts, Father?”


“I don’t think I ever asked how you found me?” Genevieve looked at her brother with a wry smile.


“Nathan Banner. He was going to deliver you to me for an extra fee.”


“You’re the reason the a*****e assaulted me, threw me in the trunk, and zip tied me! I thought he was going to murder me.”


Farrin had the grace to look embarrassed. “I didn’t know he was going to do that. When he didn’t show up at our meeting I started looking and there you were.”


“But you let her go with the wolves to be mated?” Dara interrupted.


“I was already mated when Nate abducted me. The night before.” She shivered. 


“Nate. You knew him?” Farrin reached out and took hold of her hand. “You are as cold as ice.”


“It’s so cold in here I’m amazed I can’t see my breath.”


“Sit with me.” Farrin tugged her hand and she joined him on the larger seat letting him tuck her under his arm and hold her close for warmth.


“You knew him?” Dara asked insistently.


“Yeah, he was the latest awful ex. I ran away from him and I thought he was hunting me down to kill me. He had actually come out to the house I was renting and tried to intimidate my mate, before we had-”


“Where is this ‘Nate’ now?” Dara sounded eager to find out.


“The morgue last I heard. I don’t know what he did but the cops shot him, pulled me out of his trunk, and sent me to the hospital.”  Genevieve leaned against Farrin.


“If you’d been brought home before he’d mated you, you could try to have children with someone else. It would be strange for a Sibyl but… Once you’re mated to a wolf there’s nothing that can be done.” Dara eyed her with disappointment.


“That’s why you needed our mother before she could be with her mate. I don’t understand why you needed her specifically.” She returned his disappointment with her own.


“Divination. I would get a Sibyl if I could mate with an ordinary intended to be an Alpha b***h.”


“Why did you want a Sibyl so badly?” Farrin asked dutifully.


“A Sibyl has abilities, gifts beyond those of any witch. With training she will be able to extend the lives of those she loves by shortening the lives of others, and she can speak of the future allowing those she chooses to prosper.” Dara smiled faintly. “Both worth killing for.”


“No. No, they’re not.” Genevieve was trembling. “I won’t shorten anyone’s life willingly. And these gifts aren’t for making money.”


“Some lives aren’t worth anything, my dear. Nate, or the one who beat you within an inch of your life… the one who burned you? You could give your father and brother decades of life and spare others suffering at the hands of those people. How is that wrong?”


“It’s wrong.”


“How is it wrong, explain it to me.” Dara was smiling smugly.


“Because it’s wrong to shorten a life. You rob them of the chance of making amends.”


“You’d let the man who beat you within an inch of your life make amends? You don’t think he’ll do the same or worse to another woman?”


Farrin squeezed her as if he could feel how badly she wanted to run for the door.


“I’ll let you think about it, my dear. Your brother could live a long life with you and you could spare so many so much pain.” He smiled and looked at Farrin with approval. “Now that we’ve spoken reasonably, I want the chance to see you work. I have the things you need, salt and smoke, you said. Come, you can choose something for yourself from my collection.”


Her brother stood and wheeled Dara, leaving her to follow behind. She took a deep breath anticipating something like her brother’s and feeling something twist in her insides. Instead, the collection was jewelry. Memento Mori rings, necklaces, bracelets, even earrings in cases. Glancing at Dara, she was greeted with a warm smile and he gestured at her to look at them.


“They’re beautiful.”


“Thank you, Sybil. Choose a necklace to wear tomorrow, something to go with the red dress.” 


She saw the one she wanted almost immediately, the strands were of garnet and jet with small silver skulls. A large silver fleur de lis and disc shaped pendant bearing a carved bone skull and diamonds hung from them. Genevieve exhaled looking at it.


“Ah. That’s one of my favorites.” His approval magnified the twisting feeling. “Help your sister, Farrin. There is an enamel skull ring I’d like her to wear as well, it’s the worse for wear and should suit her preferred aesthetic.” 


With the necklace in her hands she looked at Dara and broke into Counting Crows’ Mercury. His indulgent smile widened.


The jewelry was brought out, Dara insisted any smoke in the house should be confined to the old cigar room. He watched with what felt like fascination as she cleared the room and washed herself in the smoke, he laughed and applauded as she washed Farrin. “Clever. It’s temporary but effective and you can do the same with salt I’ve heard?”


“Salt water, yes.” The warm feeling of pride in her abilities was utterly unfamiliar. 


“My dear Sybil, you should be proud. I insist on it. Mesny’s are a proud line.” He beckoned her closer and offered his cheek. 


Genevieve almost broke into tears as she wrapped an arm around his neck and kissed his cheek, instead she sang softly, as a dirge.


Serve God, love me and mend

This is not the end

Lived unbruised, we are friends

And I'm sorry

I'm sorry


Sigh no more, no more

One foot in sea, one on shore

My heart was never pure

You know me

You know me


But man is a giddy thing

Oh man is a giddy thing

Oh man is a giddy thing

Oh man is a giddy thing


Love; it will not betray you

Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Be more like the man you were made to be


There is a design, an alignment to cry

Of my heart to see,

The beauty of love as it was made to be


Love; it will not betray you

Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Be more like the man you were made to be

(Mumford and Sons. “Sigh No More.” Sigh No More, Island Records, 2009, track 1.)


“Shhh, shhh child. Your father loves you. I think your sister may need something to eat before she finishes her work.” He stroked her hair as her face remained pressed to his shoulder.


“She gets exhausted, Father. All the turmoil is taking a toll.”


“She is your responsibility, Farrin. I will defer to you in matters of her care.”


Farrin gently helped her straighten and scooped her up carrying her to her room. She was asleep before she hit the bed and when she woke a few hours later with a throbbing headache Farrin was half-dozing next to her. 


“Hey.” Genevieve murmured and reached over to rub his arm. “My head is killing me.”


“You probably need to eat and drink.” He rubbed his eyes before yawning and stretching. “I think Father was actually worried about you.” Rising from the bed he picked up his phone and made a call, informing someone that she was awake and they needed water and food, and something for her headache.


Moments later a cart with soup, bread, water, hot tea, and a small plate with two pills arrived at the bedroom door. She took the pills and ate, sipping the tea. It wasn’t long before she felt better. Farrin insisted she drink at least two glasses of water poured from a bottle before she could leave the room.


While she was working on them, Dara came to the door to look in on them. “How is she feeling?”


Genevieve answered cheekily, “She’s feeling much better but her brother insists that she needs to hydrate.” She glanced at Farrin with a smile, “Which is probably true.”


His response was an arch of his eyebrow and a look of self-assurance.


“Good.” Dara’s smile looked relieved. “Will you be able to continue today?”


“Yes, Father. I have a bad habit of not listening to my body when it tells me things like, I need food, water, or rest. Once I do, or once I’m made to, I recover quickly.”


“The Sibyl requires a keeper.” He looked charmed. “Small wonder you’re so devoted to your brother.” His eyes moved to Farrin. “Anything you need for her care you don’t need to ask. I want her to be happy as well as healthy. When she’s ready I will meet you in the cigar room.”


The door closed again and they were left sitting quietly. “Are you really going to be up for more today?”


“I’ll sleep hard tonight, but yes. I am not a weak sister, despite what you’ve seen.”


“I believe you. Seeing you be a little fragile might make father go easier on you.”


She shook her head, “It’s harder when he’s acting like a father. There’s a part of me that wants so desperately to be a good daughter when he does.”


“Would it really be so terrible?” Farrin came close and hugged her as she sat in the chair. “I mean-”


Yes.” Looking up at him helplessly she saw the doubt in his eyes for a moment and then he shook it off and squeezed her again. 


“Ok, what do you need?”


“You’ll know.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on January 10, 2021
Last Updated on January 10, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay